Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Asbestos

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Asbestos
I went into a building a couple of years ago for about 5-10 minutes, two times. I recently popped me head through the window for a couple of seconds and later on i heard there was asbestos im not to sure but i want to be certain i have a cough but i am prone to them and get chest infections quite alot am i in alot of risk of dieseas years down the line?  

I am not certain what your question is regarding asbestos?

It would be helpful for if you would describe your concerns in more detail. Also, please describe the circumstances of when you went into a building "a couple of years ago for 5-10 minutes".

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Oh and could my cough be caused by the exposure?   would they leave an asbestos exposure building right next to a primary school? please answer as it would be a load off thanks.
am i in any risk of health problems later on in life?    as i went into a building a couple of years ago for 5-10 minutes and have heard it has asbestos fibres.
Hello again,

Just because a building has materials containing asbestos inside the structure, does not mean that you were exposed to asbestos fibers when you entered the building several years ago.

The link below explains some key points about asbestos. Please post again if you have additional questions.

http://www.sbcapcd.org/biz/asbestos.htm#When%20Is%20Asbestos%20Considered%20Dangerous?

~•~ Dr. Parks