Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Hep C in urine

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Hep C in urine

I am a nurse in the ER. Two days ago I was collecting a urine specimen from a patient. In our hospital we use the the BD vacutainer collection cups, which have a needle in them to make collection easier. The patient had given me the cup with urine in it, as I took the sticker off over the needle area, my hand slipped and I poked my finger. I immediately took my gloves off, squeezed the blood from the stick, wiped with alcohol swap and then squeezed more blood while washing my hands with hot soapy water. The patient was hep c positive. I am currently 23 weeks pregnant and worried sick over this incident. The patients labs showed RBC in urine was 1 and the blood urine came back neg, I am just wondering if I should continue to worry about this or just relax until I can be tested in 3-6 months.

Thank you!

B
Avatar_dr_m_tn

While I cannot say that your risk is zero, your risk for Hep C/HIV based on the details that you have shared is very, very low if not close to zero.

Best practices are to draw baseline labs (HIV and Hep C) and then re-test at 6 weeks, 3 and 6 months.

When was your last tetanus vaccination?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Dr. Parks, thank you very much for your answer. My last tetanus was two years ago, but I am getting another soon before the birth of my baby. Is there live  hep c virus in urine?
Also, should I talk to my ob/gyn about the possibility of a c-section to protect my baby if I end up seroconverting to hep c positive?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello B,

If there is blood in the urine, then there could be Hep C virus in the urine.

You should discuss all aspects of your health with your OB.

~ Dr. Parks