Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Needlestick after giving intradermal flu shot

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

I am an immunizing pharmacist for a major retail chain. After giving an intradermal flu shot to a young woman I accidentally scratched my finger with the needle. There was no puncture, only a shallow scratch which did bleed enough to need a bandaid. The patient indicated no history of hepatitis or HIV.  I just wondered what the risk of contamination/infection is with this type of injury. Thank you!

This type of exposure is very low risk--orders of magnitude less than a puncture wound.

Did you happen to clean the area immediately following the scratch?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.