Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
dangers of oil fumes

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

dangers of oil fumes

we had an oil leak in our house back in january. we are still solving the problem but our whole house smells of oil the min you walk in you can smell it people csn smell it off my clothes. but the main thing im worried about is what its doin to my health? i fell constantly tired.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello.

Can you tell me more about the oil leak? Where did the leak occur (basement or elsewhere)? What symptoms have you or your family members noticed? What was done to clean up the oil that spilled? Are you the only person in the house that does not feel well?

Was this heating oil?

- Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
ya the oil leak was in between the hall and the kitchen it was running from outside through the hall into the kitchen connected to the stove. so it  was for heating. nothing has been done yet because we are trying to sorting it out with insurance company. but its not leaking anymore as there was a new pipe put down. but there is alot of work to be done to the house. yes i am the only one feeling unwell. just constantly feeling tired and run down.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
In addition to feeling tired, do you have any other symptoms?

Here is an informative link that will provide more information about fuel (heating) oil.

http://dhs.wisconsin.gov/eh/chemFS/fs/fueloil.htm

- Dr. Parks