Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
shoulder pain
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

shoulder pain

3 weeks ago I was given a tetnus shot in my right arm and that night when I woke up I could not turn over in bed from the pain in my shoulder. I am in constant pain and have been on anti-inflamatory meds since that week but ot any better. Does this sound like nerve damage from the shot. My arms are thin and the nurse gave the shot to the side of my muscle rather in the top of the muscle.
Related Discussions
Hello,

It is unlikely that you have sustained nerve damage if you have discomfort isolated to the shoulder. However, as I have posted in this forum before, there is a more likely possibility of bursitis following a vaccination if the vaccination is given high up on the shoulder (the upper 1/3 of the deltoid muscle). Nevertheless, bursitis following a vaccination is a rare event.

If you would like a visual representation of the the deltoid muscle, you can google for "deltoid muscle" using the "image" tab on the google tool bar.

Another possibility given the symptoms that you describe is local inflammation--which is relatively common after the tetanus vaccination. Do you know if the vaccine included only the tetanus vaccine or did it also include the activated pertussis vaccine? The combination vaccine is called "Tdap".

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical or legal advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
Philip D Parks, MD, MPH, MOccH, F...Blank
Cambridge Health Alliance, Harvard Medical School
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank