Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery User Group
maxillofacial surgery doubts
About This Group:

This group is created to share stories of their Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. I had it done 2 years ago. I feel great. I have created website WWW.BESTDRLIST.COM so people could find best doctors they need.

Founded by tom872 on June 8, 2010
8 members

maxillofacial surgery doubts

Hi, I'm a 17 year old girl, and for around the last five years I have noticed what i always referred to as a "wonky jaw". In pictures etc I am very self-concious about my jaw, and though I am aware of what procedures need to be taken in order to fix this problem, I am wondering if it is actually worth it?
Maybe because I am female and 17 I do worry about the way I look a lot more than I will when I am older.

After going to a orthadentist a few months back I was told my case was extremely mild. Of course, I breathed a sigh of relief. Then i was told of ALL the complications I had, my teeth not only don't match when I clench my teeth, my lower jaw is at a different angle to the top, and i have a slight under bite, also making me self concious of my protruding chin. I worry not so much about my teeth, but how one half of my lips is normally shaped, while the expected mirror image is instead drawn out and thinner. I know it's hard to visualise, but do you think I should go for the braces then surgery, taking around 3/4 years of my life, or hope my paranoia disappears?
Or are there any other possibilites to resolve this? My teeth are almost perfect, it's just my jaw...
Any help would be great thanks.
1 Comment
My Journey to Straight Teeth Begins

My journey to correct my crooked teeth and receding jaw began in January of 2009.  I had two overlapping front teeth and an over-bite that also suffered from a very narrow upper jaw.  My oral and maxillofacial surgeon, Dr. Sharon Ornstein, and my orthodontist, Dr. Terry Thames, decided that they would first widen my upper jaw and straighten my teeth with braces.   Dr. Ornstein would then surgically move my jaw forward to correct my over-bite as it was significant enough that braces alone could not achieve the desired result.  In fact, if we had done braces alone, I would have ended up with straight teeth that didn’t line up with my lower jaw, and I was told that as a consequence they would want to move back over time to their old crooked selves.

Jaw Surgery (orthognathic surgery) benefits

Besides straightening my teeth and correcting my bite, the surgery would open my airway and eliminate sleep apnea, a potentially fatal condition in which the patient stops breathing temporarily while sleeping due to a collapse of the airway.  Surgery would also give my face a more balanced look.  I was looking forward to fixing what the doctors liked to call ‘functional problems’ while also making me appear more balanced.

I won’t tell you that braces are an enjoyable experience, but I found that after an initial period of discomfort I started to adapt and their presence became second nature.  Eating was always a challenge, as food would easily get stuck between the braces and the teeth, but there are all sorts of products on the market to help you deal with that.  I especially liked Dentet Easy Brush, sort of a toothpick toothbrush.  I found that, in fact, the whole process improved my dental hygiene regime as I became very committed to keeping my teeth clean.

I returned to the orthodontist periodically over the year I wore my braces for adjustments to guide my teeth into place.  I found that two ibuprofen just before visiting the doctor would alleviate any discomfort I might initially experience as a result of the adjustment.

I have to say that I was very pleased to watch my teeth quickly straighten, including the tooth overlap in the front that I had always wished would go away.  In just a few months, it had gone away.

Time for Surgery

When the orthodontist and the surgeon decided I was ready, we scheduled my surgery, a little over a year after my braces went on.  Some cases can require more than a year with braces, depending on your situation.  In my situation it had all gone rather quickly.

Dr. Ornstein performed the surgery in the operating room in her office, under general  anesthesia monitored by an anesthesiologist.  Her great team helped me feel very comfortable and relaxed, almost like one of the family.

All went well and I was sent home to recuperate shortly after waking up.

Recovery

The surgeon prescribed pain medication and directed me to eat a liquid diet for two weeks.  Although I actually gained some weight following surgery, as much as anything from my own determination to eat well, Dr. Ornstein told me that it’s not uncommon for patients to lose up to ten pounds on the post-surgery diet.  So if it’s an objective you have, consider this an opportunity to lose weight.  It’s also the perfect time to give up smoking.

The first day after surgery was actually the easiest, as my swelling was kept well under control and I was still numb from the anesthesia.  I followed the doctor’s orders, which included, initially, periods of applying ice to the jaw and minimal physical activity.

The following days were more challenging, as much as anything from the elastic bands that kept the jaws stabilized while I recovered.   Similar to wearing a cast to stabilize a broken arm so that it can heal correctly, you must wear elastics to keep the teeth and jaw closed in a fixed, stable position to ensure proper healing.  After the first few days you can remove the bands to rinse out your mouth and clean your teeth, but in the beginning it is 24/7.  The bands stayed on for four weeks to train the jaw to open and close in its new position.

The first few days I had to sleep propped up to help everything settle and minimize swelling.  It is also important to sleep on your back, avoiding sleeping on your side, for a few weeks so that no lateral pressure is applied to your jaw.

Eating

I ate by drinking various supplements, soups, and very soon eating solid food placed in the blender with enough liquid to make it drinkable.  My favorite turned out to be Boost, a high calorie liquid supplement designed for people who have trouble eating.  You have to plan ahead for your eating and nutrition needs, as it can be a challenge to take in a varied and balanced diet, but it can be done. My soft diet lasted about four weeks.

Swelling reduced rapidly over the first few weeks and I was able to return to work within two weeks.

The elastics came off after four weeks, a much-anticipated event.

Braces come off eight weeks after surgery

I am very pleased with the result.  My bite is normal and my teeth come together as they should.  My crooked teeth are only a memory and my face has a more balanced look.

My only regret is that I didn’t do it many years sooner.

Will anyone notice?

You probably have heard the saying “it’s as plain as the nose on your face.”   Well the truth of the matter is that it’s not so plain – not so obvious.  What I mean is that, while you yourself may be very sensitive to any changes to your appearance, the rest of the world generally isn’t.  If you’re a man and have ever grown a beard or mustache and then shaved it off, you’ll know what I mean – few will notice that you shaved. (For an over-the-top dramatization of a change that no one notices, see the movie The Mustache).  At some level they might be aware that something is different about you, but they quite frequently won’t be able to say what it is.  It’s the same with your changes following braces and jaw surgery.  I found that with the exception of those closest to me in my life, the world didn’t seem to notice, at least overtly, and if they did notice a change, they didn’t know what it was.

What I think is true is that having straight teeth and a more balanced look is something that people unconsciously respond to, and in a positive way.  If you think of comparing two people, one badly dressed and not well kempt, and the other well dressed and well groomed, you tend to have a more positive reaction towards the latter, though you might not even realize it.  It’s the same with surgery and the resultant changes.  People often respond to things about you about which they themselves aren’t even aware.

So, yes, people will notice, but – and I know this sounds contradictory – they’ll very probably not realize it.
elliesmithy commented on As a migraine suffere...
Aug 06
elliesmithy in agony Comment
07/13
elliesmithy commented on Best Treatment for TM...
06/13