Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Euflexxa Injection

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Euflexxa Injection

I have severe osteoarthritis in most of my joints.  My question today is related to my knees.  my orthopedic surgeon and I have tried physical therapy, ice and heat therapy, anti inflammatories (which I'm unable to tolerate due to high blood pressure and severe gastrointestinal problems with them - also allergic to medicine in Aleve). A couple of weeks ago I elected to try a cortisone injection into the knee. I did notice a slight improvement for about two or three days, but after that things have gotten much, much worse - I'm having more pain and mobility issues that I was before the injection.
My surgeon and I have discussed trying a Euflexxa injection at my next appointment (in 1 1/2 weeks).  We have chosen the Euflexxa because I am allergic to bird feathers and Synvisc states if you have an allergy to any bird products, including feathers, not to use it.  

1) Do you feel the Euflexxa injection is the appropriate next step in treatment?  Or should I just give in to having the knee replacement surgery that I've been informed is a definite in my future?

2) My surgeon wants to give me all three Euflexxa doses in one injection at the same time rather than doing one injection for three weeks in a row.  He told me that some doctors do this with Synvisc and have had good results with it.  Part of his reasoning for this is to limit the chance for infection or complications with the injection/s.  He said he's more comfortable giving me one larger injection than giving me three injections over the course of three weeks.  Do you agree with this and are there any increased side effects that could happen doing it this way?

3) If the Euflexxa injection works to reduce my pain and mobility issues, are there any other joints that this injection can be used in - i.e., my shoulder, ankle, etc.?

Thank you for any and all advice/information you can provide.
I agree with your doctor on all counts.  Although viscosupplementation injections can be done in any joint, most insurance ompanies will ony cover knee injections
Thank you so much for your reply.  I'm looking forward to getting my Euflexxa injectioin/s on Thursday and hopefully getting some relief without surgery.  If it works, I think I'll contact my insurance company to see if they will approve it for my shoulder (I had replacement surgery on it a year ago and have recently begun to have intense, severe pain and loss of mobility in it again.

Actually, since I've had a replacement in that shoulder, would the Euflexxa even work since there technically is not a "real" joint in there anymore?  I just thought of that as I was typing.  :(
I would not recommend viscosupplementation in an artificial joint
Thank you so much.  My ortho is great and really takes a good bit of time to answer my questions and make me feel comfortable, but it's always nice to get a second or third, etc., opinion.

I've called the surgeon who did my shoulder replacement to see about getting an appointment with him (it's a different surgeon than for my knees - the knee one referred me to a shoulder specialist for my surgery).  I'm concerned that since I've been having so much pain and limited mobility recently (in some ways worse than before the replacement) that I've either done something that I didn't realize I was doing and messed it up, I have an infection brewing in the joint, or the replacement has failed and needs to be redone.  At any rate, I need to find out what's going on and what I can do about the intense, severe pain and loss of movement before I'm totally incapacitated by it.

Again, thank you for answering my questions.
A related discussion, Synvisc Injections-side effects was started.
A related discussion, Knee Replacement was started.
A related discussion, Would Eulfexxa was started.