Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Jabbing groin pain while hiking

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Jabbing groin pain while hiking

This is probably completely unrelated to the other issue with my legs I've posted about. I pulled my groin rock climbing nearly two years ago. For six months I couldn't do a butterfly stretch; physical therapists pulled on my pelvis to realign things and I gradually healed well enough to participate fully in martial arts with just the occasional twinge of pain during, say, a roundhouse kick.

Now that I'm less active due to spinal problems, I hadn't noticed any groin pain at all in the last year until I went hiking yesterday. It wasn't a difficult hike: just three and a half miles of gently sloping terrain. After the second mile, though, the jabbing pain set in and the rest of the hike was fairly unpleasant. It's right under the crease between my pubis (I guess that's what you call it) and my thigh. Still very much present this morning.

I've finally decided to not care about how inexplicably achy my legs are (a separate and mysterious problem) and just do the things I enjoy anyway. Not anything intense like climbing, of course, but hiking, for one thing. Is this groin pain something that will just be there for the rest of my life? I frequently walk several miles at a time and experience no symptoms. I believe the few uphill climbs might have caused this. Would physical therapy be an option if the pain is only present after something like several miles of hiking? Does it sound like something surgery could fix?
You might consider an MRI arthrogram of the hip to see if there as a torn labrum.  That may be treated by a hip arthroscopy.
Yesterday I went on a long bus ride and noticed my leg becoming very sore; granted, I walked a few miles and also played a 45-minute set that night, but I'm wondering if a labral tear could cause burning pain going from my groin to my calf, which is what I'm experiencing this morning?
I expect that the answer would be yes. I just did a back kick, felt pain in my groin, and now my calf is burning. This *might* be related and might finally solve the mystery.