Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Ruptured gastrocnemius tendon - no treatment?

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Yesterday I was chasing after my two-year old, and as I went to run, I heard a distinctive ripping sound and felt a very disconcerting sensation in my right calf. I'm unable to put my heel flat on the floor unless my knee is bent, and of course then I can't straighten my leg. My calf hurts to touch on the meaty, inside/back part, although when I'm sitting, it doesn't hurt at all really (twinges a bit). Any swelling is minimal (it's now almost 24 hours later) and I have no bruising yet, although I woke up with a pale reddish oblong mark on my leg this morning where it's sore. I went to the walk-in clinic (hobble-in?) at the hospital and had it checked out. The Dr told me that on examination, she is sure that I have a complete rupture of the gastrocnemius tendon. She was certain it wasn't my achilles tendon (I can still move my foot). For treatment, she suggested icing my calf, but that's it. She said it should heal in a few weeks, and that I can't do any further damage.

Is there anything else I can do? I have three children - five, four and two-and-a-half - and it's just about impossible for me to stay still when I have a house, kids and husband to look after. Would wrapping it help it feel more stable? When I'm 'walking', I often step funny and my calf HURTS and feels like something is...not where it should be. The Dr described the rupture as a blind snapping up (blargh!). I live in a two-story house, and going down the stairs is very precarious. I guess I'm also wondering if it's true that I can't do any more damage to my calf? I want to just suck it up and plow through this injury, but I want to make sure I don't make things worse.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Injuries to the gastrocnemius, either in the muscle itself or at the muscle tendon junction can be treated conservatively.  Ususally, I immobilize these injuries in a removable boot for up to 2 weeks.  This allows for easier ambulation, an d allows for muscle healing in the early phase.  Following that, Physical therapy is used to prevent excessive scarring in the muscle, and to restore muscle strength and flexibility.
Anyone?
I'm watching for any comments to you as well.  My husband has what we think is a strained ham string tendon.... back of knee area and down calf a bit is bruised and swollen.  With that big family to take care of I hope you get some help soon!!  After all... Mothers don't get a day off!!