Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
calf hematoma - pain and edema from knee to ankle
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

calf hematoma - pain and edema from knee to ankle

I came off a horse a week ago (Saturday) and ended up with a large contusion/hematoma in the right shin, not over the bone but to the left on the soft tissue.  LARGE lump remains -- literally the size of an egg.  Lots of discoloration and edema from knee into the ankle; old blood is pooling there. I saw a doc on Thursday; he did X rays to check for tibial fracture and did not feel aspiration was needed.

However, the pain is not resolving and may be getting worse. It is around the 'egg' area and up and down the sides of the shin bone as well as at the ankle where there is the most swelling. Sometimes there is pain that feels like it's underneath the top of the calf muscles.  Lortabs help, but don't fully resolve the pain.  I am also using hot soaks and icing the shin/calf several times a day.

Is this normal?  Should I continue using compression even after a week?  
Thank you!