Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
pain after a fall with a resurfaced hip

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

pain after a fall with a resurfaced hip

I have  had 2 bilateral hip replacements.  I am young and active.  I exercise daily walking for approx 1-2 hours.  I have done really well and have not had any problems since my surgery.  However,  I tripped and fell in October.  The left hip is a resurfaced hip and the right a regular hip replacement.  The left hip is fine when I walk.  I have pain only when I sit.   It is painful on the left side of my butt and the pain radiates to my knee.  The knee sometimes gets very painful. The pain in the knee is lateral and anterior under the patella.    If I get up and walk the pain goes away.  It is always when I am driving or sitting.  So I will sit with my weight shifted to the right to get relief or get up and walk.

I have not told my surgeon because I would not have another surgery right now unless I couldn't walk.  I enjoy being active and do not want to go through another rehabilitation period again.   Do you think I did something to my resurfaced hip or is this totally unrelated.  If I did, am I going to cause more damage by not going to see my surgeon.  Basically, if I need to have it replaced I would wait.  If there is something I should do I would want to know.

Thanks for your professional advice.

Pauli
You definitely should see your surgeon as soon as possible.  If there is no serious problem, the reassurance will be worth the visit. If there are problems with your prostheses, than you should know what your options are, and what are the consequences.  Doing nothing will not help.  A visit to your surgeon can only help!