Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
partial achilles tendon tear

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

partial achilles tendon tear

I have just been informed that my MRI confirmed that I have a partial tear in my achilles tendon.  I have been having serious pain for the past three months.  I have an appointment with an orthopedic in the next couple to discuss my options.  I'm leaning towards surgery myself due to  the fact that there is a large bone spur near where all of my pain is.  Is surgery the best option and what type of rehab am I looking at?  I was supposed to have surgery on the same achilles for the same thing about four years ago.
Partial achilles tendon tears or chronic tendonosis can be very challenging. Depending on the severity of the problem, rest, physical therapy, and non-steroidal antifalmmatories can be very effective.  Corticosteroid injections are used, but are controversial. Other modalities such as shock wave therapy have also been effective.  Recent studies have reported 80 to 85% success rate with injections of platelet rich plasma (PRP).  Again, the success of any of these treatment modalities depends on the severity and chronicity of the problem.
When surgery is necessary, there is a spectrum of procedures that may be attempted.  The range from simple debridement (cleaning and removing damaged tissue), to detachment of the tendon fromthe calcaneus and reattachment with anchors and sutures.  Recovery from this procedure can take as long as a year.
I would recommend evaluation with an orthopedist who specializes in foot and ankle.