Orthopedics Community
ACL injury - still swollen after 2 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I know it's only been 2 weeks, but I twisted my left knee, heard a loud pop, then couldn't move my leg without intense pain. Went to the doc., was told nothing was broken, probably a bad sprain. I did R.I.C.E., but it is still swollen & hot to the touch. I have been putting some pressure on it, but the major problem is that 3 months ago, I was in a car accident & had a severe ankle sprain on the right side. That still is swollen & painful, so I have to put most of my weight on that side, which has caused some new pains in & around my ankle. What should I do? If I did injure my ACL , is that the same as a sprain? They only took an X-ray, so I'm not sure what would show up if I did more damage than they think (either to my knee or my ankle). What advice does anyone have? Should I keep doing R.I.C.E. ??
Thanks,
Allison
Hello Dear,
The treatment of ACL injury includes a splint, ice, elevation of the joint above the heart level, and pain relievers like NSAID.You should continue with it,  some people may need crutches to walk until the swelling and pain has improved. Physical therapy may help regain joint motion and leg strength.Reconstruction of the ACL is recommended,if instability continues even after leg strength and knee motion has returned. In serious knee injury, do not attempt to move the joint. A splint should be used to keep the knee straight .Take complete rest as your right ankle is injured and do not put weight on your injured knee.
Best
.
Thank you for responding. I really appreciate your time and assistance.
Very sincerely.
Allison
Question I had and knee injury during my soccer game I was in real pain right after the injury I had x rays and a altrasong because my knee was very sloween I had a brace for a while and took pain killers I felt good 2 days after lest pain also so I walked without the brace and cruches not well but ok then I knee just move and swell right back up  almost a week after now I my knee feels ok can't bend or straighten so I walk funny if I do try to walk normal my knee falls back and it's stiff what's wrong p.s my x ray came back fine
Hi..Just a follow up to last years question about my "acl injury".  After I posted the above question last May, my knee was completely locked out but trusted the x-ray, thinking it was just a sprain & for another 3 months I learned to just kind of drag my toes to move on that leg. When I realized it wasn't getting better, I went back to the dr., had an MRI & as it turns out, it wasn't an ACL injury or a sprained knee. It was a "bucket handle" tear of my MCL. The orthopedic dr. said it was one of the worst he'd seen & couldn't believe I adjusted to walking on it for so long. Well, long story short, I had surgery to remove the torn piece. Went back for a follow up 4 wks later, he said I looked great & I was all set. No recommendation for phys. therapy or any rehab at all. This coming July will be a year since the surgery. I have not healed completely. I still cannot fully extend my leg because it hurts my knee (my knee feels unstable when I try, it feels really shaky), also, I still have some swelling, worse on some days, better on others. The same with the pain. Is it still supposed to be like this? I've tried doing the leg extensions that others who have had the same injury were told to do, but it feels like my knee just wont allow the extension. What am I doing wrong? Is it possible I'll need a reconstruction of the injured knee?
Allison