Orthopedics Community
Ankle Popping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Ankle Popping

I've always been able to pop my left ankle repeatedly whenever i want, for as long as i can remember. sometimes i get the urge to pop it, so i do, and then the feeling goes away. well for the last three days, the feeling will not go away. its very uncomfortable and annoying. sometimes its a little painful when i move my foot around but the pain is never unbearable or anything like that. its a little bit swollen to. im not sure if there is something wrong or if i have just thought something was wrong until i have popped it sore and swollen. im not sure if that's the case though because, like i said, i have always been able to pop my ankle whenever i have wanted. any ideas?
Hi there!

Well, it is possible that your ankle ligaments have always been lax, which could be normal in a few individuals, while in most others it could be a sign of connective tissue disorder(s). The association of pain and swelling that has occurred off late could be indicative of ligamental tears, joint dislocation/ instability, ligamental tears, fractures etc., due to repeated trauma. It would be best to get this evaluated by an orthopedician for an evaluation and appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
So, are you saying the pain could be cause by a tear, joint dislocation etc., right now or from a previous injury because i have never injured my ankle.
Hi again!

Trauma need not be acute to cause injury. Injuries can be caused by constant minor amount of chronic trauma as well, like constantly popping the ankle. It may not be possible to comment on the type of trauma or injury specifically without knowing the details and a clinical evaluation. It would be best to consult an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management, if required.
Hope this was useful.

Take care!