Orthopedics Community
Arthroscopic shoulder surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Arthroscopic shoulder surgery

I had arthroscopic shoulder surgery done 3 days ago in which, few things were repaired. Impingement, labrum tear, anterior, biceps tendon tear 40% - 50%. four anchors were used to put all those thins in place. maybe something else. Pictures show everything is back to normal and looking good. My arm has been immobilized in the sling. i am to see the dr in a week after the date of surgery. I was not given any instructions on what I can or cannot do with my shoulder. My grip is very strong already. I suppose I am not supposed to move my shoulder at all until I see my doctor.   I am only afraid that my shoulder can freeze and that can be a problem. Does anybody know how soon can I start moving my shoulder after a complicated arthroscopic surgery.

kindest regards

larry
Hi there!

Till you are instructed by your doctor, it is not advisable to move the shoulder, which might interfere with the healing process. The sling is provided with an aim to rest the shoulder and restrict the movement around the joint. Gradual physiotherapy may be started after a few days/ weeks which would help prevent stiffness and gradually improve the strength around the joint, though it may be a few weeks/ months before you can freely move the joint.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
You need to stay in your immobilizer until your surgeon tells you otherwise!  The only movement should be under his supervision or under the supervision of a physical therapist.  Usually it's about at the 6 week mark when you get out of the immobilizer.