Orthopedics Community
Black Spots on Bone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Black Spots on Bone

What causes black spots on your bone, as seen on a MRI?  I have been having arm pain for years and finally had an x-ray and MRI.  On my lunate bone I have two very black spots - my ortho doctor said he didn't know what it was.  he only assured me it wasn't cancer.
bump
I don't know if this will help you any.

What does an MRI show?

Nearly every part of the body may be studied with MRI. MRI gives very detailed pictures of soft tissues like the brain. Air and hard bone do not give an MRI signal so these areas appear black. Bone marrow, spinal fluid, blood and soft tissues vary in intensity from black to white, depending on the amount of fat and water present in each tissue and the machine settings used for the scan. The radiologist compares the size and distributions of these bright and dark areas to determine whether a tissue is healthy.

http://www.rockledgemri.com/modalities.php
Thanks for the reply.  The MRI report said two things:

1. ganglion cyst.
2. "Mild heterogenity of the bone marrow of the lunate bone, with out associated edema."

Regarding the 2nd comment the orthopedic surgeon I saw told me he didn't know that that meant.  On the X-ray these area's appeared white.  On the MRI they appeared black.  

My primary doctors comments when she sent me the report regaridng the 2nd was "your lunate bone looks different then the other bones."

Orginally the ortho doctor had called me about the MRI report, he never mentioned the 2nd point, I brought it up and he told me I had white spots on my lunate and it was nothing to worry about.  At my visit he pulled up the MRI, told me he relied on the radiologist to comment on the findings.  So he looked at the report which is when he said he didn't know what it was.
I should add, prior to the MRI I had been researching a disease of the lunate bone called Keinbock's.  The symptoms seemed similar to what I am experiencing.  I mentioned this to the Ortho doctor, after he told me he didn't know what the black spots were he did tell me it wasn't cancer or Keinbock's.