Orthopedics Community
Boxer's Fracture ( can't lift pinky)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Boxer's Fracture ( can't lift pinky)

So about a week ago me and my friends were boxing with some 1$ (exaggerating) boxing gloves and I ended up with a boxers fracture. I went to the local ER they took xrays and confirmed that it was broken. They said it was aligned properly but I needed to be casted. They gave me a splint that ive kept on for a week now since I never went in and got the cast, and just recently I took it off and noticed a few things. I can clench a fist, but when I lay my hand flat on a table I have to try extremely hard to lift that pinky finger up off the table.

I called my doctor and he was a little concerned, but I was just wondering

A. is this because its a week old boxers fracture, and it may take some time before I regain that mobility
or
B. something is misaligned and I should go into the ER immediately and get that cast.
Hi there!

The need for a cast or a splint was suggested to avoid movement around the fracture site to aid in healing. The cast/ splint needs to be in place for atleast 4 weeks and taking the splint off and moving the finger isn’t a good idea in the first place. Your current problem could be due to the fracture itself, subluxation or nerve/ tendon injuries. If the function was intact after the injury, before you got the splint, the former two are more likely. In any case it would be a good idea to get this reevaluated by your orthopedician and preferable get a cast as well.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
You should go to an orthopedic surgeon for a repeat xray and casting.  If you neglect to do this and use your hand too much, you might need surgery!  Leave the splint on all the time until you get to the Dr!