Orthopedics Community
Broken Pinky Finger - Post Surgery Stiffness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Viewing 201-224 comments:
Get the 3rd surgery (tendon release surgery). Sounds like your only hope. Either that or retire and have a bum finger/hand for the rest of your life. It helped my situation and I had 3 pins in my hand for 6 weeks and an external fixator on for 8 weeks. My whole hand was locked up and w/ the help of the tendon release i got it working again.
Thanks to everyone for posting here.  This has been my new "support group."  I fractured my pinky in a cycling accident about a week and a half ago.  Surgery was one week ago today with a plate and 6 screws (hand got caught in the wheel and pinky broke my carbon fiber fork...which demolished my pinky).

The biggest thing I am taking away from this form is to start movement ASAP.  I was in a cast for a few days and now I have a removable splint which I only wear in instances where I feel I might bump my finger. I try to keep it off as much as possible and I am constantly challenging my pinky to move.  It has been one week and I am optimistic I will heal up...maybe not 100% back to normal but my goal is to get very close.  

I am already typing again with no problem which helps since my work is computer related.

I will try to update my progress in hopes of sharing information with others.  At this point I am still gunning for the best and not ruling out the release therapy.

My fracture was on my left proximal (pinky) and it was more of a shatter.  The break was in 5 places and they removed a lot of dead bone during the operation.  PIP flexibility is great right now...the gashes from stitches and the MCP seem like the challenge at this point.

Hi, thought I would post an update - timeline to date:

11/09/11 broke my left pinky finger at the proximal phalanges
22/09/11 had my op and 2 k-wires inserted and my arm and hand were then in a cast for 3 weeks
14/10/11 cast and k-wires removed, buddy tapped for another 3 weeks
04/11/11 buddy taping removed and confirmed the break had healed but now because of the build up of scar tissue I need physio to help get back the movement.

I have now has 6 months os OT and have regained 70% passive movement in both PIP and DIP. 25 % active movement in DIP but extremely limited active movement in PIP.

I have seen a hand surgeon who said he thinks the tendons are caught up in scar tissue and i'm going for an ultra-sound scan on 08/05/12 to find out more. I think it is likely they are going to suggest a second surgery to release the tendons.

Has anyone had the second surgery to release tethered tendons, and if so how successful has it been?

Many thanks, Louise
I have its was broke pretty bad and I late it heal and its starting to get in the way of me working and doin things so I need to go ahead and get it fixed straight back out its my pinky its its bent also I have no insurance surgery Im tryin to see if there is a hospital in jackson ms or gulfport ms or new orleans
I had my FDP tendon on pinky cut, due to a breakdown of communication from the hospital, I did not see a hand therapist till 2 weeks after which done me in terms of scar tissue.

Fast forward 4 months later I had tenolysis. It will be successful, you will get good movement but you may not be fully happy because the surgeon will probably do the minimal as possible to get back movement of the tendon like in my case, but the full movement will not be achieved because of previous scar tissue.

If they took out the scar tissue, and perhaps fixed the tendon, e.g. shave off the knot to make it smooth so it passes through the pullies with ease, it can be much better outcome. I will have to wait for a year and propose my idea to other surgeons to see what they can do.  
I highly recommend the tendon release surgery, I was at a stale mate w/ my therapy after 1st surgery. my finger looked like it belonged to one of those weird amazon animals that use their fingers to pull bugs out of holes in tree trunks. Just a weird hook looking appendage I couldn’t do anything with and that was after 4 months of OT. I had tendon release and was back to 90% in a month.  recovery ***** but it's short, only like 2-3 weeks' time to recover and only the 1st week and a half really ***** due to the fresh incisions. once the incisions start to heal the therapy isn’t as bad (see my post from 2/29/2012 for better description of what to expect). my hand is back to functioning now, however it is still stiff in the morning and takes a little while to "warm up", it affects the fingers next to it too (my tendon release was on my middle finger). once things get warmed up, usually by the time I'm out of the shower in the morn I'm good to go. I have gnarly scars on both sides of my hand from palm to fingertip, my finger is crooked, doesn’t open all the way,  but it works well enough to do the things I love. Good luck to all,  your recovery really does depend on how much you put into it, stay positive.  
Thanks Brendon, i've booked the second surgery for 12th of July so was good to read about your experience for the 2 weeks afterwards, sounds very painful but worth it. Hope I can be as brave with mine!
Broken pinky just below knuckel. Therapy starts in 2 days. Pinky and finger that was casted with it very stiff. Will update
Hi guys! I'm so happy I came across this forum. I've read every single post here since the first one. Here's my pinky timeline...

June 28th/12 - Flew over my bicycle's handlebars going downhill. Got admitted to the ER. Received first set of X-Rays. My left 5th proximal phalanx (pinky) was fractured in two places (laterally & 90deg upwards -- basically, a piece of the proximal phalanx was floating).
Under local anaesthetics, the plastics surgeon (hand specialist) did a reduction on my pinky to set it back into place. Took a 2nd set of X-Rays. Docs said they did a good job of reducing it, but surgery was still recommended.
Put a cast around my fingers/hand/forearm (only thumb was freed) and wrapped in bandages.

July 4th/12 - Had my surgery. Hand surgeon drilled two K-wires (oblique & parallel) into my finger.
Formed my hand into a cup-like position and made a cast for the ulnar side of my pinky and palm side of my fingers/hand/forearm. Back of my hand side is exposed (not protected w/ a cast). Middle, ring, pinky fingers, and rest of hand/forearm wrapped with post-op dressings (with enough wiggle room); thumb and index finger freed.

July 5th/12 to present - Been trying to wiggle and bend my middle & ring fingers as much as possible (not injured, but under wraps). Also trying to passively & actively abduct & adduct my pinky against the cast & wrapping, as well as trying to move the DIP. Though not sure I should be doing these movements...?

I will have my post-op follow up with the hand surgeon on July 12th/12 (8 days post-op).
What questions should I be asking the doc? I really want to start rehab asap and get back into sports (volleyball, basketball, swimming, kayaking) again sooner than later.

Were the docs doing the right thing so far?
Have I been doing the right thing by trying to move my pinky in its cast or am I just aggravating my injury and prolonging recovery?
Is there anything else I can do in the meantime before my follow up appointment?

I'm an optimistic person and a fighter. So I believe I can recover quickly... It just ***** not being able to play the sports you love... especially in the summer! :(

I'll update you guys with my progress and I look forward to all your responses. Y'all rock :)
You need to ask how long you have to be casted. I wish you DIP was exposed so you could flex the pinky there. I was splinted for 6 weeks and it ruined my pinky as the tendons all scarred down. 2 surgeries later and had tendon rupture.

I'm surprised you got casted with Kwire- normally k-wire allows for quick retrun to some passive ROM. A well known surgeon had told me after my troubles that he would have used K wire and had me moving the pinky withing a day or two.

Be very careful with extended casting. If you've read anything here, you know what to look out for.
Bad news you guys...

I just got home from my post-op follow up (2 K-wire surgery was on July 4th -- see above post), and the doc wasn't happy with the surgery. The K-wires didn't set the bones in the right place. He said that I will be stiff forever especially since my injury was so near the PIP joint if I don't get the second surgery done.
So I will be having a second operation one to two weeks from now. This time they'll be slicing me open and putting metal plates in.
This blows :(

Thoughts?
Quick update on my previous posts - I had my second surgery yesterday (12/7) to resease the tendons. My hand surgeon said it went well, I'm bandaged up just now (size of a boxing glove) but can slightly wiggle my fingers. I have the dressing reduced in size on Monday morning (16/7) and then straight to physio. I'll keep you updated on my progress, really hoping I'll be able to get increased movement back over the next week.
Yeh, I dunno pal. I was optimistic cause you had kwire, but doenst sound like it was set properly. Did they xray your finger after setting the k wire?

will you be casted again? how long? can you have your dip exposed so you can have some tendon glide at least while PIP is immobilized?

You're in very dangerous territory right now. I'd ask the odds of regaining full ROM on the pinky. My bet would be you have this surgery, they immobilize you, then in 4 weeks or so, when you get it taken off, you're stiff as a board. Unless this plate is going to allow for immediate ROM. If thats the case, then thats good. If its not, well, read above and draw your own possible conclusion. My gut says you'll need a third tenolysis surgery about 3 months after your next surgery if you can't get ROM immediately after this. IF you can - it will be really painful cause you'll have incisions.
I had a crush injury under a roller on my right hand in which my ring and little finger were fractured and the palm of my hand was wounded and got torn from one side near the thumb as it was compressed and the red flesh came out of the wound. Both the fingers were fractured at the middle phalanx. While the ring finger was fractured at two points, the other one just below pip.
Within 24 hrs I was operated and splinted. Due to the depth of the wound they first focussed on it and let the fingers as it were.
4 weeks after the injury when the wound healed a little, they removed the splint and put cast on my fingers. Regular physiotherapy was carried out for 6 weeks. After a few weeks xray showed that the ring finger was not aligned straight at the fracture just below PIP. The upper part was just a little elevated there and it got fixed there as it was healed. Moreover the ring finger cant bend at PIP and almost no active moment there, however passive range of motion is full making finger fully bent at that joint.
Now it is been 8 months to the injury the condition is same.
Any advice?
You will need tenolysis surgery to free the tendons so you can actively bend PIP.
I had surgery 5 weeks ago on my middle finger. When taking off the splint my finger wouldn't move at all. My PT told me that I had tendon adhesion and that it will likely require another surgery to release the tendon.

I've been really depressed but the story of Walker15 in this thread inspired me to stick with the exercises, in spite of no noticeable improvements. This morning something happened while doing finger blocking exercises. Like everyday I was trying pretty hard to get my finger to bend and suddenly it did. I got a weird feeling like the one described by Walker15 and I gained more than 30% of movement in both the PIP and DIP joints. I'm still far from normal mobility but I think/hope it will be easier from here.

Since I was inspired to keep trying by this thread,  I also wanted to share my own story. I figure the reason that there was only one person successful in breaking the tendon adhesion in the thread is due to a failure bias. It seems to me that people who didn't succeed are far more likely to write about it on an internet forum than those who did. The ones who succeeded are probably out climbing :-)

I don't know if it's recommended but I was taking the exercises pretty seriously and pushing it quite hard with some pain.

Good luck everyone and never give up!

Well everyone i got caught up in a fight in a local lub tried to do the right thing and my little finger got shattered in 4 places on one joint nearest the knuckle. It all started last month but i had my op 3 days after the and needless to say... not enjoyable. Im now just over a month ago since it happened and im left with 3 screws permanently and little finger from middle joint to tip still pointing the wrong way. When making a fist (cant make fully) my little finger over laps the ring finger causing frustration. It dont look like my knuckle even exists anymore... i do try to pull the finger inwards to make a proper fist occasionally but this is only to stretch the joints. I dont yank it obviously just a little now and then. Im only 23 and as most of my life events use my hands feel bit lost in the world being a martial arts practicioner, gymnast and pianist aswel as archery and fishin for a hobby... iv been searchin all over web for recovery time for a wound such as this. But havent found much worth reading till this site showed up. All i wanna do now is focus on the OT which is annoying as its miles away....but atm do have alot of stiffness at times like cramp that just wont leave...the scar however healed nicely i dressed the stitches myself before having them removed i cleaned all the area properly. Then after the stitches were out after 24 hrs lightly washed it in a warm bath with a cotton bud... have to at this point recommend applying a little bit of savlon to area bout 3 times aday... really helped the dead/dry skin n nittin process fully healed in a wk... but i had read in an article that after broken fingers... swimming is a very gud way to regain mobility as the warm water loosens the muscles obviously but the repeated movement to swim against water is rated 13% faster recovery time so im guna check out sum swimmin soon. I dont recommend doin it OTT and deffo keep up with theropy but i hope my story can help someone else out there that feels lost for answers.... take care all.
Hi, I'm 10 days after my tendon release surgery and just had my stitches out. Inhave been doing lots of very painful OT and have 90% movement when I use my other hand to bend my finger but the unassisted movement is only about 30%. Is there anything you can recommend doing from your experience post surgery? Many thanks.
Unlike most of you guys, I broke the DIP on my index finger. It's been splinted for 7 weeks, and my ortho seemed shocked to discover I can't make a fist, as the PIP won't bend more than 90 degrees.  I tried to passively bend it while it was splinted, but I didn't start doing that until it had been splinted for 2 or 3 weeks.  The DIP is still broken, but the doc wants me to go without the splint most of the time.  I'm worried that if I do that, I'm going to end up with permanent mallet finger.  What should I do?  I've been working at bending the PIP, and I got a little range of motion back, but still not much mre than 90 degrees, and after reading here, I'm worried the DIP will lock up (if it hasn't already).  This is my dominant hand, so I really need my stupid finger.  Ideas/advice?
"seemed shock to discover"?? Really? I'd run as fast as you can from this moron. 7 weeks fully splinted and he's shocked?

How can the DIP still be broken? Was it not set properly to begin with?

An aggressive course with a certified hand therapist might be your only hope. If that doesn't work, you'll probably need surgery (joint contracture release surgery) and probably tenolysis on the flexor tendon. And then more OT with a CHT.

I broke my pinky just below top knuckle and had a little chunk of floating bone as well as some twisting towards the outside. Had closed reduction with K-Wire fixation. Wires came out 5 weeks after they got put in. Doc told me to go to PT, but never went. Insurance didn't cover it and it wasn't cheap. Doc told me to keep using my other hand to move it. About a week after the K-wires were removed there wasn't much progress on range of motion. Then i was riding on a bus holding the handle with my hand with the broken finger. All healthy fingers were griping normally but broken pinky was sticking straight out in its locked position. Bus driver took a turn way too fast and I squeezed that handle for dear life. Right about then I felt a sharp pain in my knuckle and heard a very loud pop in the joint and it soon after really swelled up a lot. I thought it was trouble but the next day when I woke up I had gained about 40 degrees of motion so I figured I was on the right track. After that I pretty much squeezed on whatever there was around until i got more of those popping sounds. It hurt but my range of motion gradually returned. A year after the break I can just touch the top of my pinky (above last knuckle) the the bottom part (just above the palm) but there is some pain and stiffness everyday (particularly in the morning until i take a minute or two to force it to my max range of motion). But it still swells up a lot and I can hear some grinding and cracking going on in the joint when I force it beyond its now comfortable range of motion.

For other people who have had a similar break, what is a good result? I was hoping for better, but I am pretty much completely functional for all activities although there is the daily discomfort which is annoying. So it definitely could be worse. Also at this point i still constantly try to force it beyond its comfortable range of motion. It is just force of habit now since I did it pretty much non stop after getting the wires out. Does that still do any good at this point or am I just damaging stuff? I still feel some pain applying pressure to both joints or when creating resistance against me squeezing the finger closed and my grip strength in that finger is definitely lower. Will trying to continue to exercise grip strength there eventually help to get beyond that stage of pain when fighting against the resistance? I am just trying to figure if continuing to put effort into this would be of any help or if I should force myself to abandon the habit if its bad for my finger.

Lastly I saw you all mentioning regaining mobility while in a K-Wire. I was never in a cast, just gauze dressing, but whole finger was completely immobilized by K-Wires. How can you practice mobility when it has been completely stabilized like that? Doc never mentioned anything like that to me and I am wondering if I missed out.
Hello all!
On august 18th I broke my 5th metatarsal (neck fracture). Went straight to the ER. There they confirmed it was broken, wrapped it in a splint with pinky and ring finger splintered together. That was on a Saturday and that following Monday I saw a hand specialist and he suggested surgery because of how it was broken. So I had surgery on that following Thursday and had two pins inserted through the skin into the metatarsal. He put a splint on that immobilized the pinky and ring fingers and then two weeks later I went back to make sure all was healing ok and then got a fiberglass cast on that immobilizedthe same way for two more weeks. Went back and got the cast off and pins removed. Weird experience but of course I was stiff but I expected that. The surgeon told me to start massaging that scar so that it wouldn't fuse together with the joint or tendons. At the time I wasn't thinking much of it and that I wouldn't have issues as long as i did what he said.
Sorry, cut myself off short. Anyway... So he told me to massage that scar where the pins are and to make sure I stretch the tendons to get movement in there. Well it's been 9 days and I still can't straighten my pinkie. To hold my hand out flat pointer and middle fingers are fine of course. My ring finger I can straighten out the whole way but it's just barely level witht the rest of my fingers and my pinky just kind of hangs there. I can raise the first knuckle level with my hand but no further. The middle part of my pinky I can raise about a little and can't raise the tip at all. I've been flexing and stretching and massaging as much as possible and it doesn't seem to be working. I'm scheduled to go back Oct 18th (4 weeks after cast and pin removal) and I'm somewhat iffy about waiting another three weeks to find out what's wrong if I could have done something about it in the meantime...  
Thanks in advance :)
Hi everybody I fractured my right middle phalange and finger in a oblique way in middle of August. My two options were to get surgery to make it straight or leave it and it'll heal crooked. I went ahead with the surgery and he placed two pins in order for it to become straight and heal correctly. 3 weeks after, i went to my first check up and he unwrapped my finger and pulled out the pins.

I was shocked and pretty pissed to see that the x-ray and my actual finger looked the same as it did before surgery! My OT told me the pins i guess was unsuccessful with making it straight and that my finger healed back that way.. So this whole time i have been going to PT and i have decided two weeks prior that i wanted to do surgery again to make it straight. He said he would have to re break my finger and he'd have to put a screw in order for it to heal straight and said everything would be okay. But as you can see above, he said that before and he was wrong BIG TIME!

So my surgery is tomorrow and i have just barely came upon this forum.. its so hard to find any information about this topic! But anyways after reading all of this I am thinking about cancelling the surgery due to this forum of people saying there is a HIGH chance of me not getting my ROM back at all.

The only and pretty much MAIN reason i want surgery is to make my finger straight again because when i make a fist it bends to my right about 15 degrees.

My range of motion is about 85% back and i can pretty much touch my palm.

I needed suggestions on my decision..  like i said my ROM is pretty good its just that my finger is still crooked! and after reading all of this people are stating that there is a very high chance my motion wont come back! and to top it off the re breaking the finger part sounds like it'll have a bad effect on me in the future..

I can still do surgery to it but for now i believe I'm going to cancel  the surgery for tomorrow. Reply back please on whether i should go ahead with the surgery or just leave my finger as crooked as it is with pretty good ROM.

Thank you all!
Aaaaaah, been reading most of the posts whole afternoon and you made me scary, very scary indeed, people :-/

Hello everybody.

Sorry for my english, its not my first language, I will try my best to describe my problems.

I broke my fifth metacarpal 9 weeks ago, the doc put my hand in the cast for 6 weeks (the bone callus was not like it should be, healing process was slower, normally they put it in the cast for 5 weeks) and had no surgery.

Week and something after it was removed I went to PT to help me to give my pinky finger full movement again. The pinky was stiff in the metacarpal joint, very stiff. Before I visited PT for the first time I consulted this with a doc and he told me its probably fused extensor to the surrounding tissues and it is common, usually exercises are enough to get it back to normal, but I have to "work hard".

After ten visits at PT and exercises at home I can bend my pinky to cca 60 degrees down (on another hand more than 100 degress, maybe 120), when doing exercises for few minutes and "warming the hand up", its around 80 degrees. When I to put another hand on the palm under the metacarpal joint, the result is even better.

During those exercises (mostly making fist, rolling the fist on the desk) I felt pain in the area where the tendon is located, from the metacarpal joint to the wrist. I guess it was a sign of freeing the tendon from surrounding tissues because after this pain there was always some progress in bending the finger.

But in the last week I've made no progress at all. I feel little pain arround the metacaral knuckle and between the metacapral knuckle and PIP joint when pushing my pinky to the palm. But the movement is not free like on another hand, I feel theres something that restrain the movement - fused/attached extensor? It looks like that but theres something weird - when doing exercises for 5-10 mins in warm water I can bend my finger passively 80 degrees and when another hand put in the palm under the metacarpal knuckle, I can bend it more than 90 degrees and can touch my palm. Cant stretch my finger in this position though (I can on another hand) and it hurts between the metacarpal joint and PIP joint little (I am sure its the tendon).

When making a fist durting the day or exercising all the time (when watching movie, walking etc) the limitation of the finger is very small (but still limited, I feel it, plus it hurts a bit) but in the morning it seems like there will be no way than a surgery, I can bend the finger only around 40 degrees and it takes few minutes to get it back to "my normal".

I am very happy I can make a fist and use the hand again, but still, I would like to use the hand (its my dominant) like I did before. But after reading your experience...I am not sure I want to take the risk. And have no idea if it the tendon is really fused when I got so great results after proper exercises in warm water. Maybe if it wasnt fused I would be able to do full range of movement like I do with another hand?

Dont know what to do. Ask really good doctor to help me, or accept it and live with it? I feel limited, its better than it used to be weeks ago but still its not perfect. Is the risk of having problems like some of you do after tenolysis between PIP joint and metacarpal joint as big as tenolysis between PIP and DIP?

I was searching on the net a lot and did not find the answers, only this discussion gives a lot of info to a reader, thats why I am asking here.

Thank you for reading my long post and for any answer.
I can't remember all the details but wanted to say something in regards to this set of comments. I too broke my pinkie finger. I had it splinted and no surgery. I went to a wonderful OT who specialized in Hands which was great. When I first started OT, I could not bend the finger very much and there was a lot of pain and achiness in that joint. I wondered how it would ever heal. I finished therapy and still had pain but there was nothing left to do. My finger would ache terribly when cold or when in one position too long. It would sometimes wake me at night. I did a lot of excercises and held it bent for increasing lengths of time. After a while I forgot about it and time went on...and I can happily report that even tho its not perfect, I barely notice it after a year from the date of injury!!! I really expected to never be right with this hand but I am! I recommend heat therapy and working the joint when warm as that was when it was easiest to move it.
Definitely, people have to be patient and even after months still do some exercises.

Broken pinky (or near area) seems like no big deal, its just a pinky, but its quite the contrary,we need it more than we think and getting it back to normal (or near to normal) takes not weeks, but months.
Even the metacarpal bone is properly healed after half a year, not when the cast is removed. And remodeling itself takes years!

This weekend, after I posted my last post, I've done some progress again and it seems my tendon is not adhesed anymore. But my pinky still doesnt have full ROM. Whats good, it doesnt limit me in my everyday life. I spent around 3 hrs of exercising, making fist, moving pinky, straightening it etc every day last week and it made a difference!

Dont be fool and dont think your fingers will be ok in weeks, or even in days, it takes months! Not months of doing nothing but doing right exercises. Be patient and do not give up too soon! It is your hand and you need it, dont cheat.

First weeks and month or two after the cast is removed is crucial in therapy (its true good PT can do miracles even after half a year of immobilization but it hurts much more and is difficult much more), do as much as you can. When you watch tv, squeeze a foam ball, make a fist, do exercises from "How To Rehab Your Hand After An Injury, Boxer's Fracture, or Surgery" video (put the text in google), when working with computer, use your healthy hand for using mouse and do these exercises all the time.

These can be helpful too (you need just pics, understaning the text is not necessary - just do not do anything that hurts much, exercises should hurt, especially in the first few days or week after long period of immobilization, but do not push it too far, your tendons and tissues are not prepared yet):
http://www.ortopedie-traumatologie.cz/Rehabilitace-prstu-ruky

Good luck everybody!
I broke my right pinky 7-30-12  I had no insurance so I made a splint and ice it down for two or three days. and keep working at my on pace, Pain was not to bad. Arter a month I started having some pain, I told my self it was just healing and with more time it would get better. It is 11- 28 -12 and it tender to the touch and humpted up in the joint closest to the hand. Is there a chance of seeing a doctor now to have some thing done are is it to late. thanks
i had a similar accident, going over the handlebars and leaving my right pinky behind the break. 5 screws and a plate right in front of my PIP running the length of my pinky.

still pretty swollen and only goes straight when using force but i am optimistic, its been about 5 months but the therapists and dr both say as long as i sleep in the finger splint holding it straight it will continue to straighen out. i can make a fist to about 80% the dr says that will come slowly and i have continuously been seeing improvement. so we'll see.

how is yours now?
My 16year old daughter broke her right pinky finger at the pip joint; small bone chipped off and has caused joint to not meet up correctly.  When this first happened back in November we were told by the Orthop to buddy splint it to the ring finger for two weeks.  We did and it seemed to get better;due to illness and other conflicts we weren't able to get back to the doctor till January.  They xrayed again and said it hadn't healed well and suggested surgery to insert pin to hole chip and joint in place.  She had surgery on 1/23; was in a soft hand cast for 10 days then a splint for another week before starting OT.  Just went in for another xray as a follow up with doctor last night and was told that the chip is now out again that the pins didn't hold and we are back to square one but with 2 pins now in her bone.  We are very upset and are one the fence about doing the surgery again; she is a varsity softball and travel team player so she wants to just deal with the pain so she can play.  Between the cost of the first surgery that didn't work and the concern that a second surgery won't either I have a decision to make on whether to let her make the call.  I asked him if we could wait to see how it proceeds and maybe look at if necessary having surgery next fall and he said it would be too late.  We of course are a little concerned about his abilities and are considering getting a second opioin.  Some people are saying it is just her pinky so if she is ok with the pain and she can move it then try to see what happens.  

I'm just worried it will get worse.
hey guys,
i dislocated my index finger recently.. for which it had to be operated.It was the joint at the knuckle.. after surgery my finger was kept bent for 3 weeks in a cast.. well not a cast,more like a bandage that didnt permit movement.. the doctor removed it today(after 3 weeks).. the finger was swollen and wasnt moving at all..now it moves very slightly.. i was told to try and bend it a bit at home.. im going to start physiotherapy after 2 days.. but the posts here really got me worried.. how much should i force my finger to bend.. will too muhc motion be bad.. should i apply ice for the swelling.. and what are the chances of getting back normal range of motion..
its my right hand so im worried.. please reply.. thanks
I dont know if my pink finger was broke or deslocated and its been 12 years, since then my pinky never been straight anymore, i know is been many years but when i try to pull hard and its still hurts. right now i dont know what to do, maybe surgery or something?  help please and sorry my english.
I am going through something similar I have had many surgeries at johns Hopkins, I am worse, no use of my hand and feel very afraid, and no hope I have been dealing with this since December 18 2012 and had another surgery on may 24 my hand is worse, I broke only my ring finger but have not been able to move my pinky or ring or middle in 6 months
I broke my pinky playing flag football on 4/27/13. I had surgery on 5/7 and came out of the cast on 5/25. The doctor gave me a referral for 6 weeks(2-3 times a week) of occupational therapy. This is where the problems begin. The doctor sent me to the occupational therapist in his same facility, but they didn't take my insurance.  I had a hard time finding an occupational therapist off of my insurance website. Everytime i called the doctors would say they didn't the insurance.

Then i started walking around the neighborhood to find doctors and again i was met with the same issue. At one doctor's office they said could call my doctor and switch the referral to physical therapy instead of occupational therapy but i declined because i felt the doctor was trying to get over on me.

With a work day that doesn;t end until 6 and then picking up children and supervising them at football practice, it;s not a month since the cast was taken off and i haven;t had a day of occupational  therapy. Now that im off for the summer i call my insurance and find out that I'm only covered for in home occupational therapy.

I can bend my pinky halfway down at the front and middle joints and then it all gets stiff.

I hope i can actually use my pinky again. I have  Some questions I hope you guy can help me out with:

Is physical therapy as good as occupational therpy?
What do you think my chances are of being able to make a fist again or hold a  baseball bat?
Are there any exercises i can do at home to help me regain motion?
If anyone is reading this and is about to get surgery, don't!
The finger is very complicated to operate on due to its size and many tendons.
Check out some videos on YouTube, see for yourself.

I have a severly broken 5th middle phalanx and metacarpal, little finger. Doctors said surgery is the only way with pins and plates.

I refused and went to a specialist, his only other option was traction, very painful but he said if it was his finger he would do the same. Now it's been 8 weeks and its healing well and starting Physio its still a little stiff but probably have full movement back in a week hopefully.

So look for other options beacuse I believe there is too many things that can go wrong with surgery. I'm not against it, I mean in some cases it's probably even better for quicker recovery.
But my girlfriend is into all that healing naturally stuff and if anything went wrong with surgery I wouldn't of heard the end of it.
broke finger in january. saw a orthopedic surgeon who was also a family friend (every dr was busy, so thats why we saw family friend. he fit us into his already busy schedule) fractured my pinky right about the MIP, in a soccer game. brought to ground then kicked in hand. really sucked. anyways we casted me. it set didnt set right. so in march, he rebroke it, and put in a plate. worked on flexion but couldnt get any tension. so mid June, he took out my plate. i have better flexion and extension, but only Passive ROM. bout to schedule some OT, as there isnt a hand therapist in the area. Saw dr yesterday. he said it wouldnt be back to 100 flextion unfortunately, but we have to go as far as we can before it freezes up. it really ***** that my pinky is pretty much useless and always sticks out and cant even make a fist. he said we have no restrictions on therapy and everything. to go as hard as tolerable on my stretching. Hoping i can be one of the rare cases that proves the dr wrong. cause i play guitar and drums. and well this pinky pretty much ruins those hobbies
im 4 days out of surgery after having a plate and 7 screws put in my left index finger after snapping it quite horrifically.  
Guitar is my life and I guess i'm getting depressed at the thought of never playing as well as ive learnt to over the last 15years.  I am a positive guy and in the worst case scenario id spend the next 15years learning to hold the chords with my right hand, but im just wondering if anyone knows of anyone whos been in my situation before?
im in a cast for three weeks and im eager to start PT as soon as I can to get this pointer back in shape
thankyou, dan.
I broke my left pinky finger. Its really swollen at the tip of my pinky finger and hurt when i try to move it. I just want to know what kind of sugery would they give me for breaking my left pinky?
my finger although has been broken for 2 months. I just got in by the doctor though to get an x-ray. Later i was told to wear a splint until my surgery.
How are you making out?
No chance Harry, I am 2 year post op and cant bend my ring finger and is bent permanently. Unless you get a bone graft you're screwed, thanks NHS
3 and 1/2 weeks out from tendon surgery and my pinkey finger cannot extend much at all. Very pissed because doc never warned me that this could happen. It's bent over about at 80 degrees from the PIP. I can passively retract it down but actively I have very little movement. Passively I cannot extend the finger passed 80 degrees, feels totally stuck. Anyone know if PT can do anything for this level of "stuck," or am I destined for tenolysis?
Hello all,

Firstly, thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread.  I have just read it from beginning to end and am a lot wiser than when I started reading!

My position is similar to many here:
19 October 2013 - Broke pinky finger playing rugby. Boned sheared across the proximal phalanx. I initially thought it was not broken and waited 12 days before getting an x-ray.  The following day an orthopaedic doctor recommended surgery to reset the bone.  The surgery took place on 12 November.  I was told to remove the bandage after 2 days and try to move the finger joints as much as possible.  On 19 November I had my first appointment with the physio to start the rehab. Despite the swelling and pain I thought I was making pretty good progress with the rehab. I was very good at working on my flexion however I did not realise the potential for extensor lag. The physio recommended the usual stretching exercises and I have been quite diligent in carrying this out. 4-5 weeks post-op I found my range of extension starting to reduce slightly from about 40-45 degrees from straight to 50-55 degrees.  

On 24 December I saw the orthopaedic doctor for a follow up.  Unfortunately it was not my original surgeon but she was a hand specialist so I accepted this.  My new x-ray showed that the bone had healed pretty well and straight.  However, she was concerned about the tendon lag and recommended a new surgery to address this. I told her I would think about it. I decided to continue work with my physio and leave the surgical option open for a later date. Since then I have been working flat out to improve the lag.  I have used a capener (sprung) splint to keep my finger extended during the day and a fixed splint to keep it extended overnight. I am doing a range of passive and active stretching and strengthening exercises.  I have also got a box splint which enables me to keep the finger in maximum flexion.  The finger is still very very stiff in the mornings and stiffens very quickly when I am not using it.

Having read the previous posts I am convinced that the non-surgical route is worth persevering with. In particular I am interested in the people who say that the blocking exercises have helped to free the stuck tendon.  I am working much harder on this and will report back on my progress.  
Your comments inspire me. I fell hiking in Adirondacks in October and got a bony mallet injury on left pinky. I did nothing for 5 days then splinted it on my own with popsicle stick on whole finger then on top of of the joint. Finally went to see someone at 3 weeks post injury. That's how I found out it was a mallet injury. They made a splint which I wore for 8 weeks then x ray showed no improvement and now I wear the splint at night. The bugger of all this is that I play guitar and had to relearn the entire Nutcracker suite to perform in December without my pinky. Now I am using it to play but of course it hurts & my nail is buckling upwards. See the doc next week, I may not do surgery after reading everyone's comments.Although it hurts, I have 90% mobility.Thank you for your comments.
Hi, does anyone know where I can find the finger exercises to see if I can get my finger to bend again? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
Thanks!
Hi there, I cut myself chopping food with a brand new knife, 95% laceration on left hand index finger, extensor DIP. Surgery after 10 days, including spending 3 days mulling it over - they told me if I've cut it pretty bad, then it won't heal on it's own and it looked 75% cut from lack of bend.
Went for the surgery, had under LA, no complications, all went well. Told me it was 95% laceration. Well done me :-/
Splint and bandage for 5 days, agonising pain, then dressig removed, and fitted with a custom made (thermo-plastic) splint - after the 5 days.
Then 5 days later, (day 10) - went to have stitches removed.New splint fitted as swelling had gone down. Told to stay in splint and not to bend under any circumstances for 3 weeks.
Had 3 week check-up, told everything OK, then 3 more weeks.
At 6 weeks, told to move/try to bend it. Sent to certified Hand Therapist after this appointment (as my hospital is not local).

CHT said OK, now it's been 6 weeks, we can start therapy, got me to do loose fist & lift and hold. No movement from DIP doing loose fist but could just about do lift and hold.
She said for 1 week, remove splint only for therapy - 3X a day every day, loose fist x 10 reps and lift and hold x 10 reps.
That was week 1.

Week 2, she said same exercises 3X a day but remove splint for 1 hour a day, 3X a day and do light activities and a 3rd exercise - actually bending the tip over the edge of a flat surface (whilst holding down the PIP joint).

Week 3, I went and showed her my progress, she said she was not happy with the bending exercise, it was not progressing fast enough, she said I need to start using it more, getting it in warm water, fiddling with things, anything to encourage movement.
So here I am nearly at the end of Week 3 and due for my next CHT appt in 2 days and the bending exercise still doesn't seem like it's progressed. I don't have anything to take measurements with but I'm guessing it's only 10%.
PIP seems OK, it is stiff from the splinting (it had restricted movement as the splint was taped up and the tape extended to cover my PIP joint and I didn't question it).
I have over 90% bend in the PIP after a few wiggles to warm up.
I can make a fist but DIP does not bend and sticks out a little.
Still have a little swelling and numbness.
Lack of movement is making me very frustrated and upset and I end up crying everytime I read something negative. I was advised this was the best course of action for me as it was a clean cut, no crushing or knocking, no boney fracture.
I'm 31, from the UK but living in NZ for 2 years on a working holiday visa.
Would appreciate yours and anyone else opinion.
I feel like I need support from people who have been through this.
Thanks :)
Dog leash broke pinky about 2 years ago.

Used duct tape and pencils to make a cast using the the ring finger as a support. The cast was removable and covered palm and knuckles. Left it on for 6 weeks.

Forgot about movement exercises and it got stiff but could still play guitar with it kinda.

The reason really for this posting is because of the meridian points connected to the pinky. If you Google "wingmakers" and "fire meridian pinky" you will find the importance of your pinky and its movement.

In short the small intestines lock up and cause much discomfort which the body experienced many effects on sugars prior to the massaging of the pinky such as, a fire in the chest that kinda reminds of claustrophobia or something similar. I find it pertinent that this information is available because of the issues the body went through due to the pinky being stiff which caused much discomfort in the body all over, it was confusing. When the information became clear then so did the issues in the body that was leading to much annoyances and intolerance to many situations with social interaction/food/sleep.

A technique that was used was taking duct tape and wrapping it around the pinky when the threshold bending was reached and leaving it on for about 6 hours and massaging the pinky in that position all over. During this process the organs unlock and much discomfort is evaded. Remember its the body, not you.
Hi, Welcome to MedHelp. I am the Orthopedic Community Leader. I am also a Orthopedic Surgical First Assistant. The website you are looking for is below:

http://en,wikipedia.org/wiki/pseudoscience

Thanks  JD1963
Viewing 201-224 comments: