Broken Pinky Finger - Post Surgery Stiffness
imq
I had surgery done on my broken pinky finger on January 1, 2008, which I broke while playing football, and I was in the cast for 6 weeks after that. After the cast came out, the doctor told me to go to therapy for 6 weeks/ 2 times a week to get rid of the stiffness in the finger. Now it is May 5th, 2008 and I have 2 more weeks of therapy left but still the finger is a little stiff. I can bend it but not fully and in terms of going back up it doesn't move at all.

The therapist has told me that doctor's could do another surgery to loosen up the tendons but I will wait to ask a doctor until my therapy is done.

The questions that I had is:

1) What are the chances that I can still gain full momentum in my pinky finger?
2) If I am not able to get the stiffness out, can anyone tell about the surgery the therapist was talking about?

Greatly appreciate your help.

I had surgery 5 weeks ago on my middle finger. When taking off the splint my finger wouldn't move at all. My PT told me that I had tendon adhesion and that it will likely require another surgery to release the tendon.

I've been really depressed but the story of Walker15 in this thread inspired me to stick with the exercises, in spite of no noticeable improvements. This morning something happened while doing finger blocking exercises. Like everyday I was trying pretty hard to get my finger to bend and suddenly it did. I got a weird feeling like the one described by Walker15 and I gained more than 30% of movement in both the PIP and DIP joints. I'm still far from normal mobility but I think/hope it will be easier from here.

Since I was inspired to keep trying by this thread,  I also wanted to share my own story. I figure the reason that there was only one person successful in breaking the tendon adhesion in the thread is due to a failure bias. It seems to me that people who didn't succeed are far more likely to write about it on an internet forum than those who did. The ones who succeeded are probably out climbing :-)

I don't know if it's recommended but I was taking the exercises pretty seriously and pushing it quite hard with some pain.

Good luck everyone and never give up!

Well everyone i got caught up in a fight in a local lub tried to do the right thing and my little finger got shattered in 4 places on one joint nearest the knuckle. It all started last month but i had my op 3 days after the and needless to say... not enjoyable. Im now just over a month ago since it happened and im left with 3 screws permanently and little finger from middle joint to tip still pointing the wrong way. When making a fist (cant make fully) my little finger over laps the ring finger causing frustration. It dont look like my knuckle even exists anymore... i do try to pull the finger inwards to make a proper fist occasionally but this is only to stretch the joints. I dont yank it obviously just a little now and then. Im only 23 and as most of my life events use my hands feel bit lost in the world being a martial arts practicioner, gymnast and pianist aswel as archery and fishin for a hobby... iv been searchin all over web for recovery time for a wound such as this. But havent found much worth reading till this site showed up. All i wanna do now is focus on the OT which is annoying as its miles away....but atm do have alot of stiffness at times like cramp that just wont leave...the scar however healed nicely i dressed the stitches myself before having them removed i cleaned all the area properly. Then after the stitches were out after 24 hrs lightly washed it in a warm bath with a cotton bud... have to at this point recommend applying a little bit of savlon to area bout 3 times aday... really helped the dead/dry skin n nittin process fully healed in a wk... but i had read in an article that after broken fingers... swimming is a very gud way to regain mobility as the warm water loosens the muscles obviously but the repeated movement to swim against water is rated 13% faster recovery time so im guna check out sum swimmin soon. I dont recommend doin it OTT and deffo keep up with theropy but i hope my story can help someone else out there that feels lost for answers.... take care all.
Hi, I'm 10 days after my tendon release surgery and just had my stitches out. Inhave been doing lots of very painful OT and have 90% movement when I use my other hand to bend my finger but the unassisted movement is only about 30%. Is there anything you can recommend doing from your experience post surgery? Many thanks.
Unlike most of you guys, I broke the DIP on my index finger. It's been splinted for 7 weeks, and my ortho seemed shocked to discover I can't make a fist, as the PIP won't bend more than 90 degrees.  I tried to passively bend it while it was splinted, but I didn't start doing that until it had been splinted for 2 or 3 weeks.  The DIP is still broken, but the doc wants me to go without the splint most of the time.  I'm worried that if I do that, I'm going to end up with permanent mallet finger.  What should I do?  I've been working at bending the PIP, and I got a little range of motion back, but still not much mre than 90 degrees, and after reading here, I'm worried the DIP will lock up (if it hasn't already).  This is my dominant hand, so I really need my stupid finger.  Ideas/advice?
"seemed shock to discover"?? Really? I'd run as fast as you can from this moron. 7 weeks fully splinted and he's shocked?

How can the DIP still be broken? Was it not set properly to begin with?

An aggressive course with a certified hand therapist might be your only hope. If that doesn't work, you'll probably need surgery (joint contracture release surgery) and probably tenolysis on the flexor tendon. And then more OT with a CHT.

I broke my pinky just below top knuckle and had a little chunk of floating bone as well as some twisting towards the outside. Had closed reduction with K-Wire fixation. Wires came out 5 weeks after they got put in. Doc told me to go to PT, but never went. Insurance didn't cover it and it wasn't cheap. Doc told me to keep using my other hand to move it. About a week after the K-wires were removed there wasn't much progress on range of motion. Then i was riding on a bus holding the handle with my hand with the broken finger. All healthy fingers were griping normally but broken pinky was sticking straight out in its locked position. Bus driver took a turn way too fast and I squeezed that handle for dear life. Right about then I felt a sharp pain in my knuckle and heard a very loud pop in the joint and it soon after really swelled up a lot. I thought it was trouble but the next day when I woke up I had gained about 40 degrees of motion so I figured I was on the right track. After that I pretty much squeezed on whatever there was around until i got more of those popping sounds. It hurt but my range of motion gradually returned. A year after the break I can just touch the top of my pinky (above last knuckle) the the bottom part (just above the palm) but there is some pain and stiffness everyday (particularly in the morning until i take a minute or two to force it to my max range of motion). But it still swells up a lot and I can hear some grinding and cracking going on in the joint when I force it beyond its now comfortable range of motion.

For other people who have had a similar break, what is a good result? I was hoping for better, but I am pretty much completely functional for all activities although there is the daily discomfort which is annoying. So it definitely could be worse. Also at this point i still constantly try to force it beyond its comfortable range of motion. It is just force of habit now since I did it pretty much non stop after getting the wires out. Does that still do any good at this point or am I just damaging stuff? I still feel some pain applying pressure to both joints or when creating resistance against me squeezing the finger closed and my grip strength in that finger is definitely lower. Will trying to continue to exercise grip strength there eventually help to get beyond that stage of pain when fighting against the resistance? I am just trying to figure if continuing to put effort into this would be of any help or if I should force myself to abandon the habit if its bad for my finger.

Lastly I saw you all mentioning regaining mobility while in a K-Wire. I was never in a cast, just gauze dressing, but whole finger was completely immobilized by K-Wires. How can you practice mobility when it has been completely stabilized like that? Doc never mentioned anything like that to me and I am wondering if I missed out.
Hello all!
On august 18th I broke my 5th metatarsal (neck fracture). Went straight to the ER. There they confirmed it was broken, wrapped it in a splint with pinky and ring finger splintered together. That was on a Saturday and that following Monday I saw a hand specialist and he suggested surgery because of how it was broken. So I had surgery on that following Thursday and had two pins inserted through the skin into the metatarsal. He put a splint on that immobilized the pinky and ring fingers and then two weeks later I went back to make sure all was healing ok and then got a fiberglass cast on that immobilizedthe same way for two more weeks. Went back and got the cast off and pins removed. Weird experience but of course I was stiff but I expected that. The surgeon told me to start massaging that scar so that it wouldn't fuse together with the joint or tendons. At the time I wasn't thinking much of it and that I wouldn't have issues as long as i did what he said.
Sorry, cut myself off short. Anyway... So he told me to massage that scar where the pins are and to make sure I stretch the tendons to get movement in there. Well it's been 9 days and I still can't straighten my pinkie. To hold my hand out flat pointer and middle fingers are fine of course. My ring finger I can straighten out the whole way but it's just barely level witht the rest of my fingers and my pinky just kind of hangs there. I can raise the first knuckle level with my hand but no further. The middle part of my pinky I can raise about a little and can't raise the tip at all. I've been flexing and stretching and massaging as much as possible and it doesn't seem to be working. I'm scheduled to go back Oct 18th (4 weeks after cast and pin removal) and I'm somewhat iffy about waiting another three weeks to find out what's wrong if I could have done something about it in the meantime...  
Thanks in advance :)
Hi everybody I fractured my right middle phalange and finger in a oblique way in middle of August. My two options were to get surgery to make it straight or leave it and it'll heal crooked. I went ahead with the surgery and he placed two pins in order for it to become straight and heal correctly. 3 weeks after, i went to my first check up and he unwrapped my finger and pulled out the pins.

I was shocked and pretty pissed to see that the x-ray and my actual finger looked the same as it did before surgery! My OT told me the pins i guess was unsuccessful with making it straight and that my finger healed back that way.. So this whole time i have been going to PT and i have decided two weeks prior that i wanted to do surgery again to make it straight. He said he would have to re break my finger and he'd have to put a screw in order for it to heal straight and said everything would be okay. But as you can see above, he said that before and he was wrong BIG TIME!

So my surgery is tomorrow and i have just barely came upon this forum.. its so hard to find any information about this topic! But anyways after reading all of this I am thinking about cancelling the surgery due to this forum of people saying there is a HIGH chance of me not getting my ROM back at all.

The only and pretty much MAIN reason i want surgery is to make my finger straight again because when i make a fist it bends to my right about 15 degrees.

My range of motion is about 85% back and i can pretty much touch my palm.

I needed suggestions on my decision..  like i said my ROM is pretty good its just that my finger is still crooked! and after reading all of this people are stating that there is a very high chance my motion wont come back! and to top it off the re breaking the finger part sounds like it'll have a bad effect on me in the future..

I can still do surgery to it but for now i believe I'm going to cancel  the surgery for tomorrow. Reply back please on whether i should go ahead with the surgery or just leave my finger as crooked as it is with pretty good ROM.

Thank you all!
Aaaaaah, been reading most of the posts whole afternoon and you made me scary, very scary indeed, people :-/

Hello everybody.

Sorry for my english, its not my first language, I will try my best to describe my problems.

I broke my fifth metacarpal 9 weeks ago, the doc put my hand in the cast for 6 weeks (the bone callus was not like it should be, healing process was slower, normally they put it in the cast for 5 weeks) and had no surgery.

Week and something after it was removed I went to PT to help me to give my pinky finger full movement again. The pinky was stiff in the metacarpal joint, very stiff. Before I visited PT for the first time I consulted this with a doc and he told me its probably fused extensor to the surrounding tissues and it is common, usually exercises are enough to get it back to normal, but I have to "work hard".

After ten visits at PT and exercises at home I can bend my pinky to cca 60 degrees down (on another hand more than 100 degress, maybe 120), when doing exercises for few minutes and "warming the hand up", its around 80 degrees. When I to put another hand on the palm under the metacarpal joint, the result is even better.

During those exercises (mostly making fist, rolling the fist on the desk) I felt pain in the area where the tendon is located, from the metacarpal joint to the wrist. I guess it was a sign of freeing the tendon from surrounding tissues because after this pain there was always some progress in bending the finger.

But in the last week I've made no progress at all. I feel little pain arround the metacaral knuckle and between the metacapral knuckle and PIP joint when pushing my pinky to the palm. But the movement is not free like on another hand, I feel theres something that restrain the movement - fused/attached extensor? It looks like that but theres something weird - when doing exercises for 5-10 mins in warm water I can bend my finger passively 80 degrees and when another hand put in the palm under the metacarpal knuckle, I can bend it more than 90 degrees and can touch my palm. Cant stretch my finger in this position though (I can on another hand) and it hurts between the metacarpal joint and PIP joint little (I am sure its the tendon).

When making a fist durting the day or exercising all the time (when watching movie, walking etc) the limitation of the finger is very small (but still limited, I feel it, plus it hurts a bit) but in the morning it seems like there will be no way than a surgery, I can bend the finger only around 40 degrees and it takes few minutes to get it back to "my normal".

I am very happy I can make a fist and use the hand again, but still, I would like to use the hand (its my dominant) like I did before. But after reading your experience...I am not sure I want to take the risk. And have no idea if it the tendon is really fused when I got so great results after proper exercises in warm water. Maybe if it wasnt fused I would be able to do full range of movement like I do with another hand?

Dont know what to do. Ask really good doctor to help me, or accept it and live with it? I feel limited, its better than it used to be weeks ago but still its not perfect. Is the risk of having problems like some of you do after tenolysis between PIP joint and metacarpal joint as big as tenolysis between PIP and DIP?

I was searching on the net a lot and did not find the answers, only this discussion gives a lot of info to a reader, thats why I am asking here.

Thank you for reading my long post and for any answer.
I can't remember all the details but wanted to say something in regards to this set of comments. I too broke my pinkie finger. I had it splinted and no surgery. I went to a wonderful OT who specialized in Hands which was great. When I first started OT, I could not bend the finger very much and there was a lot of pain and achiness in that joint. I wondered how it would ever heal. I finished therapy and still had pain but there was nothing left to do. My finger would ache terribly when cold or when in one position too long. It would sometimes wake me at night. I did a lot of excercises and held it bent for increasing lengths of time. After a while I forgot about it and time went on...and I can happily report that even tho its not perfect, I barely notice it after a year from the date of injury!!! I really expected to never be right with this hand but I am! I recommend heat therapy and working the joint when warm as that was when it was easiest to move it.
Definitely, people have to be patient and even after months still do some exercises.

Broken pinky (or near area) seems like no big deal, its just a pinky, but its quite the contrary,we need it more than we think and getting it back to normal (or near to normal) takes not weeks, but months.
Even the metacarpal bone is properly healed after half a year, not when the cast is removed. And remodeling itself takes years!

This weekend, after I posted my last post, I've done some progress again and it seems my tendon is not adhesed anymore. But my pinky still doesnt have full ROM. Whats good, it doesnt limit me in my everyday life. I spent around 3 hrs of exercising, making fist, moving pinky, straightening it etc every day last week and it made a difference!

Dont be fool and dont think your fingers will be ok in weeks, or even in days, it takes months! Not months of doing nothing but doing right exercises. Be patient and do not give up too soon! It is your hand and you need it, dont cheat.

First weeks and month or two after the cast is removed is crucial in therapy (its true good PT can do miracles even after half a year of immobilization but it hurts much more and is difficult much more), do as much as you can. When you watch tv, squeeze a foam ball, make a fist, do exercises from "How To Rehab Your Hand After An Injury, Boxer's Fracture, or Surgery" video (put the text in google), when working with computer, use your healthy hand for using mouse and do these exercises all the time.

These can be helpful too (you need just pics, understaning the text is not necessary - just do not do anything that hurts much, exercises should hurt, especially in the first few days or week after long period of immobilization, but do not push it too far, your tendons and tissues are not prepared yet):
http://www.ortopedie-traumatologie.cz/Rehabilitace-prstu-ruky

Good luck everybody!
I broke my right pinky 7-30-12  I had no insurance so I made a splint and ice it down for two or three days. and keep working at my on pace, Pain was not to bad. Arter a month I started having some pain, I told my self it was just healing and with more time it would get better. It is 11- 28 -12 and it tender to the touch and humpted up in the joint closest to the hand. Is there a chance of seeing a doctor now to have some thing done are is it to late. thanks
i had a similar accident, going over the handlebars and leaving my right pinky behind the break. 5 screws and a plate right in front of my PIP running the length of my pinky.

still pretty swollen and only goes straight when using force but i am optimistic, its been about 5 months but the therapists and dr both say as long as i sleep in the finger splint holding it straight it will continue to straighen out. i can make a fist to about 80% the dr says that will come slowly and i have continuously been seeing improvement. so we'll see.

how is yours now?
My 16year old daughter broke her right pinky finger at the pip joint; small bone chipped off and has caused joint to not meet up correctly.  When this first happened back in November we were told by the Orthop to buddy splint it to the ring finger for two weeks.  We did and it seemed to get better;due to illness and other conflicts we weren't able to get back to the doctor till January.  They xrayed again and said it hadn't healed well and suggested surgery to insert pin to hole chip and joint in place.  She had surgery on 1/23; was in a soft hand cast for 10 days then a splint for another week before starting OT.  Just went in for another xray as a follow up with doctor last night and was told that the chip is now out again that the pins didn't hold and we are back to square one but with 2 pins now in her bone.  We are very upset and are one the fence about doing the surgery again; she is a varsity softball and travel team player so she wants to just deal with the pain so she can play.  Between the cost of the first surgery that didn't work and the concern that a second surgery won't either I have a decision to make on whether to let her make the call.  I asked him if we could wait to see how it proceeds and maybe look at if necessary having surgery next fall and he said it would be too late.  We of course are a little concerned about his abilities and are considering getting a second opioin.  Some people are saying it is just her pinky so if she is ok with the pain and she can move it then try to see what happens.  

I'm just worried it will get worse.
hey guys,
i dislocated my index finger recently.. for which it had to be operated.It was the joint at the knuckle.. after surgery my finger was kept bent for 3 weeks in a cast.. well not a cast,more like a bandage that didnt permit movement.. the doctor removed it today(after 3 weeks).. the finger was swollen and wasnt moving at all..now it moves very slightly.. i was told to try and bend it a bit at home.. im going to start physiotherapy after 2 days.. but the posts here really got me worried.. how much should i force my finger to bend.. will too muhc motion be bad.. should i apply ice for the swelling.. and what are the chances of getting back normal range of motion..
its my right hand so im worried.. please reply.. thanks
I dont know if my pink finger was broke or deslocated and its been 12 years, since then my pinky never been straight anymore, i know is been many years but when i try to pull hard and its still hurts. right now i dont know what to do, maybe surgery or something?  help please and sorry my english.
I am going through something similar I have had many surgeries at johns Hopkins, I am worse, no use of my hand and feel very afraid, and no hope I have been dealing with this since December 18 2012 and had another surgery on may 24 my hand is worse, I broke only my ring finger but have not been able to move my pinky or ring or middle in 6 months
I broke my pinky playing flag football on 4/27/13. I had surgery on 5/7 and came out of the cast on 5/25. The doctor gave me a referral for 6 weeks(2-3 times a week) of occupational therapy. This is where the problems begin. The doctor sent me to the occupational therapist in his same facility, but they didn't take my insurance.  I had a hard time finding an occupational therapist off of my insurance website. Everytime i called the doctors would say they didn't the insurance.

Then i started walking around the neighborhood to find doctors and again i was met with the same issue. At one doctor's office they said could call my doctor and switch the referral to physical therapy instead of occupational therapy but i declined because i felt the doctor was trying to get over on me.

With a work day that doesn;t end until 6 and then picking up children and supervising them at football practice, it;s not a month since the cast was taken off and i haven;t had a day of occupational  therapy. Now that im off for the summer i call my insurance and find out that I'm only covered for in home occupational therapy.

I can bend my pinky halfway down at the front and middle joints and then it all gets stiff.

I hope i can actually use my pinky again. I have  Some questions I hope you guy can help me out with:

Is physical therapy as good as occupational therpy?
What do you think my chances are of being able to make a fist again or hold a  baseball bat?
Are there any exercises i can do at home to help me regain motion?
If anyone is reading this and is about to get surgery, don't!
The finger is very complicated to operate on due to its size and many tendons.
Check out some videos on YouTube, see for yourself.

I have a severly broken 5th middle phalanx and metacarpal, little finger. Doctors said surgery is the only way with pins and plates.

I refused and went to a specialist, his only other option was traction, very painful but he said if it was his finger he would do the same. Now it's been 8 weeks and its healing well and starting Physio its still a little stiff but probably have full movement back in a week hopefully.

So look for other options beacuse I believe there is too many things that can go wrong with surgery. I'm not against it, I mean in some cases it's probably even better for quicker recovery.
But my girlfriend is into all that healing naturally stuff and if anything went wrong with surgery I wouldn't of heard the end of it.
broke finger in january. saw a orthopedic surgeon who was also a family friend (every dr was busy, so thats why we saw family friend. he fit us into his already busy schedule) fractured my pinky right about the MIP, in a soccer game. brought to ground then kicked in hand. really sucked. anyways we casted me. it set didnt set right. so in march, he rebroke it, and put in a plate. worked on flexion but couldnt get any tension. so mid June, he took out my plate. i have better flexion and extension, but only Passive ROM. bout to schedule some OT, as there isnt a hand therapist in the area. Saw dr yesterday. he said it wouldnt be back to 100 flextion unfortunately, but we have to go as far as we can before it freezes up. it really ***** that my pinky is pretty much useless and always sticks out and cant even make a fist. he said we have no restrictions on therapy and everything. to go as hard as tolerable on my stretching. Hoping i can be one of the rare cases that proves the dr wrong. cause i play guitar and drums. and well this pinky pretty much ruins those hobbies
im 4 days out of surgery after having a plate and 7 screws put in my left index finger after snapping it quite horrifically.  
Guitar is my life and I guess i'm getting depressed at the thought of never playing as well as ive learnt to over the last 15years.  I am a positive guy and in the worst case scenario id spend the next 15years learning to hold the chords with my right hand, but im just wondering if anyone knows of anyone whos been in my situation before?
im in a cast for three weeks and im eager to start PT as soon as I can to get this pointer back in shape
thankyou, dan.
I broke my left pinky finger. Its really swollen at the tip of my pinky finger and hurt when i try to move it. I just want to know what kind of sugery would they give me for breaking my left pinky?
my finger although has been broken for 2 months. I just got in by the doctor though to get an x-ray. Later i was told to wear a splint until my surgery.
How are you making out?
No chance Harry, I am 2 year post op and cant bend my ring finger and is bent permanently. Unless you get a bone graft you're screwed, thanks NHS
3 and 1/2 weeks out from tendon surgery and my pinkey finger cannot extend much at all. Very pissed because doc never warned me that this could happen. It's bent over about at 80 degrees from the PIP. I can passively retract it down but actively I have very little movement. Passively I cannot extend the finger passed 80 degrees, feels totally stuck. Anyone know if PT can do anything for this level of "stuck," or am I destined for tenolysis?
Hello all,

Firstly, thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread.  I have just read it from beginning to end and am a lot wiser than when I started reading!

My position is similar to many here:
19 October 2013 - Broke pinky finger playing rugby. Boned sheared across the proximal phalanx. I initially thought it was not broken and waited 12 days before getting an x-ray.  The following day an orthopaedic doctor recommended surgery to reset the bone.  The surgery took place on 12 November.  I was told to remove the bandage after 2 days and try to move the finger joints as much as possible.  On 19 November I had my first appointment with the physio to start the rehab. Despite the swelling and pain I thought I was making pretty good progress with the rehab. I was very good at working on my flexion however I did not realise the potential for extensor lag. The physio recommended the usual stretching exercises and I have been quite diligent in carrying this out. 4-5 weeks post-op I found my range of extension starting to reduce slightly from about 40-45 degrees from straight to 50-55 degrees.  

On 24 December I saw the orthopaedic doctor for a follow up.  Unfortunately it was not my original surgeon but she was a hand specialist so I accepted this.  My new x-ray showed that the bone had healed pretty well and straight.  However, she was concerned about the tendon lag and recommended a new surgery to address this. I told her I would think about it. I decided to continue work with my physio and leave the surgical option open for a later date. Since then I have been working flat out to improve the lag.  I have used a capener (sprung) splint to keep my finger extended during the day and a fixed splint to keep it extended overnight. I am doing a range of passive and active stretching and strengthening exercises.  I have also got a box splint which enables me to keep the finger in maximum flexion.  The finger is still very very stiff in the mornings and stiffens very quickly when I am not using it.

Having read the previous posts I am convinced that the non-surgical route is worth persevering with. In particular I am interested in the people who say that the blocking exercises have helped to free the stuck tendon.  I am working much harder on this and will report back on my progress.  
Your comments inspire me. I fell hiking in Adirondacks in October and got a bony mallet injury on left pinky. I did nothing for 5 days then splinted it on my own with popsicle stick on whole finger then on top of of the joint. Finally went to see someone at 3 weeks post injury. That's how I found out it was a mallet injury. They made a splint which I wore for 8 weeks then x ray showed no improvement and now I wear the splint at night. The bugger of all this is that I play guitar and had to relearn the entire Nutcracker suite to perform in December without my pinky. Now I am using it to play but of course it hurts & my nail is buckling upwards. See the doc next week, I may not do surgery after reading everyone's comments.Although it hurts, I have 90% mobility.Thank you for your comments.
Hi, does anyone know where I can find the finger exercises to see if I can get my finger to bend again? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
Thanks!
Hi there, I cut myself chopping food with a brand new knife, 95% laceration on left hand index finger, extensor DIP. Surgery after 10 days, including spending 3 days mulling it over - they told me if I've cut it pretty bad, then it won't heal on it's own and it looked 75% cut from lack of bend.
Went for the surgery, had under LA, no complications, all went well. Told me it was 95% laceration. Well done me :-/
Splint and bandage for 5 days, agonising pain, then dressig removed, and fitted with a custom made (thermo-plastic) splint - after the 5 days.
Then 5 days later, (day 10) - went to have stitches removed.New splint fitted as swelling had gone down. Told to stay in splint and not to bend under any circumstances for 3 weeks.
Had 3 week check-up, told everything OK, then 3 more weeks.
At 6 weeks, told to move/try to bend it. Sent to certified Hand Therapist after this appointment (as my hospital is not local).

CHT said OK, now it's been 6 weeks, we can start therapy, got me to do loose fist & lift and hold. No movement from DIP doing loose fist but could just about do lift and hold.
She said for 1 week, remove splint only for therapy - 3X a day every day, loose fist x 10 reps and lift and hold x 10 reps.
That was week 1.

Week 2, she said same exercises 3X a day but remove splint for 1 hour a day, 3X a day and do light activities and a 3rd exercise - actually bending the tip over the edge of a flat surface (whilst holding down the PIP joint).

Week 3, I went and showed her my progress, she said she was not happy with the bending exercise, it was not progressing fast enough, she said I need to start using it more, getting it in warm water, fiddling with things, anything to encourage movement.
So here I am nearly at the end of Week 3 and due for my next CHT appt in 2 days and the bending exercise still doesn't seem like it's progressed. I don't have anything to take measurements with but I'm guessing it's only 10%.
PIP seems OK, it is stiff from the splinting (it had restricted movement as the splint was taped up and the tape extended to cover my PIP joint and I didn't question it).
I have over 90% bend in the PIP after a few wiggles to warm up.
I can make a fist but DIP does not bend and sticks out a little.
Still have a little swelling and numbness.
Lack of movement is making me very frustrated and upset and I end up crying everytime I read something negative. I was advised this was the best course of action for me as it was a clean cut, no crushing or knocking, no boney fracture.
I'm 31, from the UK but living in NZ for 2 years on a working holiday visa.
Would appreciate yours and anyone else opinion.
I feel like I need support from people who have been through this.
Thanks :)
Dog leash broke pinky about 2 years ago.

Used duct tape and pencils to make a cast using the the ring finger as a support. The cast was removable and covered palm and knuckles. Left it on for 6 weeks.

Forgot about movement exercises and it got stiff but could still play guitar with it kinda.

The reason really for this posting is because of the meridian points connected to the pinky. If you Google "wingmakers" and "fire meridian pinky" you will find the importance of your pinky and its movement.

In short the small intestines lock up and cause much discomfort which the body experienced many effects on sugars prior to the massaging of the pinky such as, a fire in the chest that kinda reminds of claustrophobia or something similar. I find it pertinent that this information is available because of the issues the body went through due to the pinky being stiff which caused much discomfort in the body all over, it was confusing. When the information became clear then so did the issues in the body that was leading to much annoyances and intolerance to many situations with social interaction/food/sleep.

A technique that was used was taking duct tape and wrapping it around the pinky when the threshold bending was reached and leaving it on for about 6 hours and massaging the pinky in that position all over. During this process the organs unlock and much discomfort is evaded. Remember its the body, not you.
Hi, Welcome to MedHelp. I am the Orthopedic Community Leader. I am also a Orthopedic Surgical First Assistant. The website you are looking for is below:

http://en,wikipedia.org/wiki/pseudoscience

Thanks  JD1963
I hope you're still getting notifications if someone responds to you. I would like to know exactly what moves/exercises you did, to break up your pinky scar tissue back in 2009. I have the same issue. My DIP is tipped down at about 25 degrees-in other words I cannot lift it up to straighten it more than that degree. So, it's never completely straight. It's almost certain due to the tendon being stuck down from my March dislocation, of which I did not realize was occurring until 7wks later. =O This is driving me crazy, not being able to 'lift up' the tip. Please respond with what maneuvers you did to break scarring! Thanks!
Has anyone had any luck with breaking up their scarred tendon tissue from bone?
Hi Knightraino6 did you ever get back the full use of your pinkey finger after the break.  I am going thur the same thing right now & it has been almost 5 weeks & I still cannot bend my finger very much.  thanks
I had a displaced fracture on my right pinky on Sept 30, had surgery on Oct 3 with 2 k wires inserted and was immobilized in a cast for 4 weeks afterwards.  I had my cast and pins taken off on Oct 31 and as expected I was very stiff and the finger was swollen.  I came across this site and was very scared.  The next 4 weeks I went to hand therapy 2x a week and did the excercises as much as I could at home everyday.  I was told in the beginning that my finger is on the stiffer side of things and that I may need tenolysis.  All my rehab and hard works has paid off, currently 4 weeks post pin/cast removal I have 75 degree movement on my pip and 70 on my dip, MCP is as good as new.  I still have a bit of work to do to make a full fist but I think I can get there in the next month.  So to everyone with a stiff finger, just work hard and stay positive and you will get there.  My progress on my pip is as follows: week 1 -20 degrees, week 2 - 45 degrees, week 3 - 65 degrees and week 4 - 75 degrees.  I resumed weight lifting (machines) on my injured hand starting in week 2.  Stay positive everyone and good luck!  Oh and I never had any weird adhesion breaking sensations, all my progress came on gradually I never had an incident where I felt a pop and suddenly gained a bunch of ROM.
I injured my right middle finger while playing basketball. The finger droops badly. I went for the operation 1 week after the accident to have 2 K wires inserted into my finger.
The K wires remained in the finger for 5 weeks and I was advised to wear my splint for the next 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks of splinting (after K wires removed), my finger still droops  a little (around 20 deg). I could't bend my injured finger too. When I close my hand in a grip position, all fingers were are able to bent except the injured finger.

Question 1: Is it normal to have my finger droops after K wires operation for mallet finger?

Question 2: What are the exercises to regain my range of motion.

Question 3: Now my finger still droops after the operation, what are the things I can do so that my finger can be straighten without the droop?
I broke my pinky on my left hand. I went to my GP and he told me to tape it to the other finger and come see him in a month. I never should have done that the bone kept hitting the other bone and splintered. Make a long story short a had multiple surgeries with an implant being put in. I tried to get my range of motion back with tons of physio but it did not work the implant would squeak and not bend. Amputation was suggested. I said I would think about it.
Well, it is 3 years later and the reason I am writing this is I slipped and stuck my hand out and injured it again. Amputation has been suggested again and I am actually thinking about it as this has become quite painful. I was given 3 options for amputation right at the second joint  where the implant is leaving a stub,right at the base of the finger or complete removal grafting the side with an angle cut so it kinda flows into the ring finger. Don't know what to do just was wondering what everyone thinks.
Really struggling with this.
A dog leash broke the middle bone of my little finger on my right hand. I needed surgery as the finger would have healed malformed. My surgeon used a screw to secure and keep the bones in place.  

After surgery I wore a dressing for five days and had to avoid using the finger.Once the dressing was removed I had to keep moving the finger but no gripping or weight bearing for three weeks, then I could start gripping but limit myself by how painful the action was.

The finger was never splinted and at 8 weeks post surgery, my finger has full movement. I am still advised not to do any heavy work, until the finger is completely healed.  I am going to ask to have the screw removed as its head is by a joint and is painful were it sticks out covered by skin.i have another appointment in June to discuss this.

The most annoying issues with this healing process are not being able to drive due to gripping the steering wheel, being guided by pain, knocking the finger amazing how many times I did this, people not realising as there was no splint, the finger just looked swollen and bruised. But  I have full movement in the finger and IMHO a little time of frustration is good trade.

This was all done on the NHS by a specialist hand surgeon who knew what he was doing. I am very grateful
Hi harry,

Don't give up.  I started playing guitar back in 2008.  However, in 2002 I broke my left ring finger playing football.  It was a bad break at the DIP joint, through the joint causing angulation and malrotation.  Well, I went tot he doc and they splinted it to avoid surgery.  I didn't know anything at the time.  it healed, but it healed crooked.  My ring finger bent OUT towards the pinky about 20 degrees.  I learned to live with it, and I even learned how to play guitar with it.  In 2013 I had an osteotomy done where the surgeon actually took a wedge out of the tip of my ring finger, derotated it and bent it further back towards my middle finger.  This corrected the angulation about 15 degrees.  What an improvement.  Is it perfect?  Absolutely not.  I have minor arthritis there, some annoying pain at times, and it still is off by a few degrees.  However, I regained all of my ROM back.  Despite destroying that joint, I can bend my ring finger almost a full 90 degrees at the DIP joint.  This was after having a pin in my finger for 5 weeks.  Your hands adapt very well.  Even if your finger next becomes "normal", you can still be a proficient player.  I play in a band every week and I play guitar every day.  Sometimes I get annoyed with it, but only because of how it looks. :-)  In reality, it doesn't affect my playing.  I can do lots of fast lead runs and can form pretty much any chord without issue.  If I can do it, you can too.
To straighten the finger again is difficult, the extensor tendon does not have much power and cannot glide if there is much scar tissue. You should ask a hand therapist for exercise, basically you should keep trying to straighten the finger, and also to straighten it and then try to hold it in place (to try to get the tendon to move through the scar tissue to hold the finger without the added work of actually moving the finger). Also make sure you can passively still straighten the finger so the joint itself is not resisting.
DO NOT GIVE UP :-).  I fell and had a complete break of my pinkie right through the knuckle (right dominant hand) on 6/20 with a lot of soft tissue injury to the rest of that hand and wrist but no other fractures. Because of the severe swelling, I did not have surgery until 8 days later (only a temporary splint). Then I had one K-wire from the back of the hand, through the broken knuckle, and all the way through the finger to past the next joint to stabilize a badly rotated middle third of the finger, with a huge splint thingee all the way up to the elbow. Then a smaller splint to the wrist. All this time the entire little and ring fingers were totally immobilized until the pin was removed 7/20. I had to keep the whole arm up on pillows, above my heart, all that time and for several more weeks because of the severe swelling. So now there was absolutely no movement in the pinkie or ring finger, and because of the way they were immobiIized and the injuries to the rest of the hand, I had to do therapy on all 5 fingers. Oh my goodness, what pain and terrible swelling that got worse after each therapy session. I had not been told to keep any of the fingers moving when I removed the splint once a day for hygiene. Thank God I found the posts on here. I switched to a CHT at the hospital, instead of the ones who work with the surgeon, and after almost three months (THREE MONTHS!!) of grueling twice-a-week sessions with her and many sessions daily on my own, today I walked into my surgeon's office and said, "Look at this, I can make a fist and my pinkie is touching my palm." His eyes bugged out because he was insisting for two months now that I would need another surgery to release the stuck tendon. What I did: I visualized every AM and PM my finger touching my palm and showing and telling the surgery exactly what I did today ... I faithfully did as much therapy as I could possibly stand (in spite of feeling like giving up 3 times because of pain and lack of much progress) ... and third, I was determined to not have any more surgery. Up to 50% have either no result or a poor result, and I was not having any of it. Period. I did not give up and pushed through all pain and forced myself to do the therapy as much as I could stand, and last week I heard a big POP and a CRACK while I was getting dressed and had severe pain in my palm & pinkie and ring fingers, with much more swelling and pain for several days. But I kept doing my therapy as much as I could and was amazed at the massive improvement. The suggested splitting open of the entire finger on the top of my hand to release the tendon would not have worked because the pop and crack happened in the palm of my hand and underneath the ring and little fingers. Today I had gained 40 degrees and 50 degrees more motion in the two distal joints when my therapist did measurements. After only a week and after months of very little progress. She said it is a miracle! So DO __NOT __GIVE __UP :-). If I could do it, you can do it. Just make sure you have a therapist who is positive.
My injury sounds identical to yours. I had the wires removed about a month ago. I can make a fist and open hand but I assume the finger will always be crooked. It is still painful though. I'm just wondering when the pain will go away when I make a fist.  Doc told me to massage the pinky finger to get the swelling liquids to disipate. I have this rubbery gauze that wraps around the finger. That helps.  When I unravel it at the end of the day The swelling is down.  Just hoping that someday I dont feel any pain when using my hand.
Ughhh.  Needless to say I quit playing DODGEBALL.
Hi all..i suffered this left hand pinky fracture at proximal phalanges..it was transverse and my whole finger was twisted inside..looked very scary..very next day i got k wire fixation..and after about 3.5 weeks of immobilization they were removed.finger was stiff ,PIP  was swollen n so painful.very next day i started on PT almost everyday..now it has been about 1 month of daily PT.my passive range of motion is completely back and it comes within 5 minutes after starting PT but active ROM is still lackiñg.i cant make a fist still on my own..PIp joint is still swollen pretty much..finger is stiff..and morning stiffness is a problem..my PT says that because i have gained full passive ROM so active ROM wil definately come..is it so?? Can anybody give some advice on my situation..
Bless you al guys for this posts!! I dislocated my pinky finger and had some ligaments broken because of this. The doctor put a splint on my pinky finger and the ring finger ( the dominant right hand..). After 3 weeks, I had a shock. My pinky was stiff as a rock and my ring finger which was perfectly fine is bearly moving now. I cried every day after I removed my split thinking I'm only 31, my life is done and so on. Of course I'm exaggerating but I'm having a breakdown. Thanks to yours posts, I'm getting hope again. My hand therapist is encouraging me.. But I have zero faith. I didn't think that a pi my dislocated finger would make my life so miserable. I'm off the splint for 5 days and I see zero improvements... I hope that I will be heathy again, the way I was, and all of you having the same problem. Be strong, and again thank you for the advices and posts, because you are giving faith to all of us
I suffered an open shaft fracture, left pinky (non-dominant hand), proximal phalanx at the beginning of July.

Slipped off the edge of a porch on holiday in Germany after evening rainfall and fell several feet landing on a building gravel. Hand wasn't a pretty sight (soft tissue damage) requiring immediate visit to A&E.

An orthopaedic doctor reset the dislocation (along with x-ray, wound debridement etc) and the fracture was fixed w/ 2 crossed K-wires under local anaesthesia by a hand specialist the following day. I was very lucky in this regard.

I was discharged and sent back to UK with no splint but instructed to keep flexing/extending the fingers. I had reasonable mobility but felt as though the wires were inhibiting me worried they might break so I didn't push too hard. I could make perhaps half a fist but straightening was almost impossible.

After a lot of running around and uncertainly on my part, the NHS fixed me up with a splint (protected mobility) at week 2 and removed K-wires at week 3 and prescribed weekly visits to a hand therapist.

In addition to surgical incisions, the original exit wound (base finger & palm) took almost 4-5 weeks to heal sufficiently where I felt confident enough to push harder with exercises without re-opening the wound. This also allowed me to massage the scar tissue which seemed to loosen up the tendons.

It's now week 6 and mobility has been returning gradually and currently just under 90 degrees at PIP and 70 at DIP (I think) unaided. . Still some numbness at fingertip and along the outside edge of the finger and there's a slight bump on the DIP joint. Hand therapist says this is common with this type of fracture and given me additional straightening and massage exercises and splinting at night. I'm incentivised by visualising playing the guitar again one day and will stick with the program.

I've had to be pro-active and devote all of my time to try to ensure I saw the right medical people and in a timely manner. I sought lots of opinions from the nurses dressing my wounds, to my GP signing me off work, to getting a second opinion, as well as reading up online.  As many have pointed out on this forum, sitting back and waiting isn't an option. I shall endeavour to update again.