Orthopedics Community
Broken Ulna/Radius in 8 yo child

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Broken Ulna/Radius in 8 yo child

My daughter broke her forearm 3 weeks ago.  She broke both the ulna and radius.  She did this doing a back hand spring in her gymnastic's class. Yesterday at her 3 week appointment, they removed the cast and said it was healed enough.  This was not a hairline fracture, but a complete break through both bones.  I saw the last xray.  I could see where the one bone (smaller one) was straight.  The break could still be seen, but you could see the new bone growth (very faintly) as well.  The larger bone was NOT straight.  You could also see new bone growth.  But the MD pointed out a spot on this bone that he said was "still a fracture".  

He did not resplint or cast her.  He said it was "healed enough."  Is this typical medicine?  I have tried to get a second opinion, but no physicians will give us an appointment for 2 weeks.  So my daughter with an arm that still has a fracture is going unprotected for 2 more weeks?  

Should I not stress, because this is the normal treatment for 8 year old children (I know they heal faster then adults, but 3 weeks?)?  Or should I be pounding the pavement or ERs to get her recast?  

I know it is hard to tell without an xray.  I am just looking for what is the normal in this age group with this type of fracture.  Thanks.
My son had the same type of fracture at 7 years old after doing a back flip and falling off the trampoline.  His arm was in the shap of a U when he did this and both his ulna and radius were broke.  They also had to reset it.  He was also suppose to get his cast off at 3 weeks and I had to reschedule his appointment and thankfully they had to move him to the following week. He is very, very active.  The x-ray at 4 weeks still showed the fracture and to me it looked worse than the 1 week x-ray but they took off his cast but he did put a velcro splint on him for another 2 weeks.  You could always buy one of the velcro splints from the pharmacy they sell them there.  He had tenderness in that arm for quite a long time but now it is fine. I think they feel like they get more mobility back quicker by removing the cast earlier with kids but I was like you and felt like that was way too early for such a bad fracture.  Good luck to you and your daughter.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Non displaced fractures at her age should heal in 4-6 weeks. X-rays will take 3 months to reflect a properly healed fracture. In 4 weeks time a proper callous forms and any gap should fill by then.

She should wear some protection; so get some comfortable splints which are available at any orthopaedic pharmacy store. Take a second opinion if required and ask her orthopedician to give clarity on her present diagnosis.

Take care!

For a second opinion if you have not, see if you can get her to a hand specialist. You can go to this site
http://www.assh.org/Public/About/Pages/default.aspx
to find one in your area.

I hope this helps,

achilles2