Orthopedics Community
Chest lump on ribcage. Please help me.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Chest lump on ribcage. Please help me.

Just to clear it up I am not sure if I have a broken rib; that is the only topic that could somewhat relate to my problem.

What is this lumpyness in my breast? I sometimes feel as if my breast tissues are swelling up @ times, or maybe the muscles? Tonight I found a lump in my breast. It kind of feels like it is connected to the rib cage. Certain movements with my arm can make the lump feel more there & other movements with my arm can make it go away. I don't feel like I have breast cancer, since I feel like it is possibly a tissue &/or muscle problem. I am supposed to get my period either at the end of this month (it is now the 23) or at the beginning of the upcoming month. Maybe this has something to do with it? I have never actually felt a lump in my chest before, but sometimes I feel as if my muscles/tissue in my breast are getting swelled. My left breast feels like it is more swollen than the right. I was diagnosed with costochondritis over one month ago, but the problem was with my left side, this problem is with my right. Could it have spread? or what? After the ER told me I have costochondritis, I went to my ortho for another problem I have (herniated disc) & I told him about the costochondritis. He felt me & agreed. At the time I didn't have any lumps, just pain on the left side. I need to get a few tests before I can report back to my Ortha, so i was just wondering if anyone could help me.

Can this be period related? Why do my breast feel like the tissue/muscle is swelling? Can this be part of my costochondritis even thought I had it on the left side? Are these lumps on my ribs part of the costochondritis or what? I only feel pain when I apply pressure. Thank you.

PS:
I am a young female (19 years old)
I don't smoke
I work out four times a week (3-4 miles a day of cardio)
I eat right
To begin with breast tissue can grow tense and stiff during periods,it is not always the case,It can or cannot happen.Please have a CT/MRI to see a bony involvement ,it will rule out the if it is of breast origin or a bony origin.Please consult your OBGN and present yourself for a physical examination.
A blood work will determine if your routine parameters are within normal limits.
Orthopaedician will help in diagnosing a costochondritis of the right side.
Keep me informed,
Goodluck.
Hi, are you sure the lump is seen recently, lumps are not normally found during your periods, is it a single one or multiple, what about mobility and does it pain. i don't think you have a broken rib, costochondritis also doesn't present as a lump so better you consult your surgeon and get examined.
Right now it is only one "lump". I guess you can say it hurts around it. This "lump" is about the size of a dime. Last night I was able to locate three, now I can only find one.  I feel like it is my rib? I dont know what it is..When I take my right hand & place it on my upper back & put my elbow to the sky the lump goes away, since my bones move.

I don't know what is going up, but to be honest I am scared. I don't have any health insurance, so my father & I are going to medicare (or something like that) to get some. I am pretty sure I can go to planned parenthood & get a check up for a discounted price. I am kind of upset with my Ortha. When I went to the ER that told me to get a MRI of my chest, but when I told my Ortha that he just said "You have costochondirtris, it will be gone in 6months - 1 yr". He only ordered a MRI for my neck ( I got hurt in an accident). I am wondering if maybe my ribs were injered during this car crash.

Test I had done a month ago when I went to the ER for my chest pain (turned out to be costochondritis):

A lot of blood work - all showed up negative
ECG - negative
Chest x-rays - negative

I haven't hurt myself in anyway since I had that work done (oct 12th of this year), so I just don't know what to think.

I can say that I have been working out a lot more since then. I use an elliptical 4 days a week for 3-4 miles a day. I also started lifting weights & using the weight machines. I never felt like I hurt myself & I try to avoid working out my chest in fear I might trigger my costocondritis again. I haven't felt much pain on my right side for about 3-4 days now, which is nice. I feel plagued, I know my God hasn't forsaken me, but it really upsets me. If it isn't my back(herniated disc) its my chest, if its not my chest its my back, now I have this problem. Not to add I have another question, but I will post that separate. =/
Wow someone who feels my pain, I'm 20 with Costochondritis, cept it's kindof my sternum on both sides and has been there since May 2006. Back pain definately flares it up, which I have so I do exercises recomended by  Physio and Massage to strenthen and get massage to fix i, I'm not sure what a herniated disc is but my back is stiff and cracks alot. the lumps in your breasts could be cysts or lumps of fat or muscle, I may have felt what you are talking about, if it hurts I would get it checked out. I hope you can figure this out and good luck. we are too young to be having these problems
Yes I also  have to work out to keep the pain from my back away. If I dont work out then my back starts to ache. Doesn't it stink? We defiantly are too young for this. It can become very depressing at times.

How did you get your costochondritis? I am not very sure how I got mine, but when I started swimming (I swam too much for three days in a row) that triggered it. I ended up  in the ER on my 19th birthday because I was so nervous, my chest was tight, & I felt like I couldn't breath. It is so nice to hear that someone else feels how I feel. I mean, I wish we didn't, but it nice to know there is someone who can relate to me.

I am going to see my Ortha very soon I hope. I have to get my MRIs done & a nerve damage screening. I should know what the problem is in about 1-2 weeks. Thanks for the reply. Keep in touch.
Yahlet me know
Thanks for views, you can continue your regular work out now and once you consult your orthopedician for a second review may be things may work out better, still i feel costochondritis or rib involvement may not be the problem you are facing as lump you describe at times as one or three and its mobility is questionable. Anyways hope for your faster recovery, good luck.