Orthopedics Community
Correcting Genu Valgum In Adults?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Correcting Genu Valgum In Adults?

I'm a 20 years old male with genu valgum in both legs. Supposedly the genu valgum in each leg isn't severe but since it's on both sides, there's quite a space between my ankles when I my knees are touching (about 4-6 cm or 1.5-2 inches).

I was wondering if there are less intrusive methods to reduce genu valgum at my age besides undergoing osteotomy on both legs.

Would it be possible to reduce the genu valgum by somehow applying pressure from the medial to the lateral sides of the knees, at a certain point that would place all the pressure on the tibias? Like for example, placing something between my knees while standing to force a position where my ankles touch but my knees are apart? Perhaps in other words, forcing a genu varum to cancel out the genu valgum? Or is this just impossible and would instead harm me by grinding my knees, deforming my tibias and causing general alignment injuries?
Your creativity and thought process is appreciable.
You can do hemi-epiphysiodesis.
If the deformity persists after 7 years of age, hemi-epiphysiodesis (at age 11 to12 years) may be considered to achieve normal alignment.
Epiphysiodesis consists of slowing or stopping the growth plate on the medial side to allow the lateral side to catch up.
This relatively simple procedure does not substantially weaken the bone and allows early weight-bearing.
Epiphysiodesis aims to achieve satisfactory mechanical alignment at the end of growth.
If the surgeon is not interested in such procedure, then only option left is osteotomy.
Keep me informed.
Bye.
Thanks for replying.

Isn't hemi-epiphysiodesis too late for someone at my age (20) who is possibly already skeletally mature? I really wish my genu valgum was diagnosed earlier... The orthopedist my parents took me to at age 15 decided that I have severe pronation of both feet (and prescribed custom made orthodics), but unfortunately he didn't notice my valgum until I asked him to see if my kness are alright about 10 months ago, after a little research on the internet that went from reading about pronation, pes planus and the anatomy of the feet and legs, to eventually finding out about the genus.

So assuming I'm too old for hemi-epiphysiodesis and the method I mentioned in my first post (that consists of creating pressure on the legs for a "session" of a few minutes) is ineffective, the only option I have left is osteotomy?
Hi Furou,
You are indeed old for hemi-epiphysiodesis. What I meant was, these are the plan of management for Genu valgum available.
You should be thinking of proximal tibia osteotomy.
It should be considered if epiphysiodesis is not feasible. Osteotomy involves a more difficult recovery period than epiphysiodesis because, in the former procedure, the bone is divided completely.
The overall success rate of surgery is >90%.
Keep me informed if you have any query.
Bye.
http://www.doctorveklich.com/patients.htm?gclid=CJiMkbykj50CFUxs4wodN0xf2w
hi,
i am 16years old girl. I am suffering with knock knee problem. May i know how the genu valgum treartment can be done ? I am also  having one question in my mind that, how it start occuring in legs and wether it occurs with deficiency of nutrient or excess of it?
If you could help me, i will be always thankful to you in my life.