Orthopedics Community
Damaged Ulna Nerve CRPS/RSD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Damaged Ulna Nerve CRPS/RSD

Hi.
I have two questions related to the same injury and would be very grateful for answers to either or both.

Firstly, I was shot through the upper arm Oct 07 and my ulna nerve was transected just above the elbow. While I am very grateful to still have that arm, I have been suffering Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) A.K.A. Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) A.K.A. One Helluva Sore Arm ever since. I am currently taking methadone, amitriptyline, gabapentin (neurontin) & paracetamol (for break-through pain) with mediocre results. Am also doing physio/occupational therapy incl mirror therapy. Do you know of other successful treatments?

Secondly, I am awaiting ulna nerve graft/repair surgery in the next few months. The surgeon, however, said that while this surgery "might" give me back sensation in the little & ring fingers, my hand strength, currently zero, would stay the same. Do you, or anyone else, know of whether cases like mine HAVE resulted in recovered hand strength?  Thank you very much.
Richard (aged 40)
You can try a Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator, which is an electronic device that produces electrical signals used to stimulate nerves through unbroken skin. The unit is usually connected to the skin using two or more electrodes. TENS works to decrease pain perception and may be used to control acute and chronic pain. It helps in regenerating nerve.
Nerves regenerate, or heal, at a rate 1 millimeter/day. The only nerves that can regenerate are the nerves outside of the spinal cord, or peripheral nerves. The nerves in the spinal cord, once damaged, cannot regenerate. However, if the peripheral nerve is severely damaged or stretched it may never heal.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
Thank you for your suggestions. I was given a TENS unit to try by my physiotherapist, but had very limited results. (as in I accidentally zapped my good thumb when I went to move one of the electrodes!!) I will check to see whether I'm using it correctly.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks again.
If you feel that you are not using TENS unit properly then you can consult your physiotherapist for further assistance regarding the usage and amount of voltage to be kept.
Meanwhile you can continue with physiotherapy to avoid disuse atrophy of muscles. You can continue analgesics as before.
Keep me posted if you have any queries.
Bye.
Have had ulna nerve surgery, carpal tunnel surgery, and neck surgery to end the burning pain from my elbow down to my hand. No neck pain, no tingling fingers, etc. every, just from elbow to hand.  This for 6 years!!!  Have had all the  care, including TENS and nothing helps.  The only pain relief is ULTRAM ER, which I willnot take because of the side effects.  My neurological surgeon says I cannot have more ulna nerve surgery now because such surgery would probably be worse than now....the good news? He says it will get worse, in which case surgery may be required.  The other good news?  I can tell the weatherman 12 hours before a front comes through!  DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I MAY FIND A DOCTOR WITH NEW PROCEDURE??? I am desperate.  JOHNb