Orthopedics Community
De Quervain's post -op concerns

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

De Quervain's post -op concerns

I just had my stitches removed today.  Two very confusing things right now.  First my doctor is defensive when I ask him any questions.  I had a large bump appear in the last couple days right on the joint below my thumbnail.  I have the sensation that from my wrist to my thumbnail the top of the hand is asleep, but I did feel some twinges of pain in that joint last night.  Now today it is very noticeable.  The doctor said that I had arthritis and it was there before.  (I don't and it wasn't)  He left to get the x-ray and the MRI.  The end of my thumb was missing in every image.  I left without any answers and don't follow up until second week of September.
I was supposed to have a ganglion cyst removed at the same time on the inside of my wrist.  It had been there since the pain began almost three years ago.  It was soft and malleable and right on top of my artery so you could see my pulse through this cyst.  My scar is almost an inch and a quarter long.  So now the doctor tells me I had no cyst and that it was bone, but doesn't elaborate or explain.  He fends off any question.  I'm stuck with this doctor.  I think he did it right because it feels better overall already.  
Back to the thumb for a sec.  Is it possible to accidentally cut a tendon or part of it and have it curl up and gather by that joint under the thumbnail?

Hi!
It is unlikely that the tendon was cut and rolled up as you are able to move your thumb and it feels better already. You can apply ice and take an-anti-inflammatory medication to reduce the swelling, which is probably a post-surgery inflammation. If the swelling and numbness does not improve then a nerve injury would need to be looked into.
Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you for the advice.  I did see my primary care physician yesterday and she said essentially the same thing.  It is still just as swollen and numb but I am optimistic. Just looking for peace of mind since I don't follow up until September.  Thanks again...