Degenerative Disc Disease
I had a 360degree surgery on my lower back in 1992. My main question is that I am suffering from severe pain in my shoulders, hips and knees.  X-rays have shown degenerative problems in these areas.  Dr. wants me to go to pain management. If x-rays are showing degenerative properties, could this be from the lower back problem in 1992?  what do I do?
Probably when you have any type of surgery on your back it weakens the disc joints.Do as your doctor says go to pain management he/she will try this treatment for a while if it doesn't help some thing else will be tried.
Degenerative Disc Disease is a confusing problem.  It is neither a disease nor is it actually degenerative.  It is a name for the normal aging of the bone, which oddly enough does not get worse over time but can actually improve over time.  Normal aging for one is not like another but is based on your own individual health, genes, individual diet, exercise, and overall bone matrix.  Bone begins to wear (degenerate) from age first in the lower spine, then in the hip, then on to other bones in the body.  It you are on steroids (asthma meds), then the bone will "degenerate" first in the wrist and foot, then the spine and hips.  This is because steriod use will cause calcium to be removed or leached from the small bones before the larger bones. If you have not had a bone density test (DEXA) then you should get one to see how your bones are doing.  When the bones wear at the joint, the discs in the spine or the meniscus of the knee will decrease over time giving you pain.  Pain management is a good place to start to control the progression of painful arthritis or other joint problems before they get really bad.  Hope this helps.
There is a good website called www.5pillars.com.  Check it out and see if there is any info that would help.