Gluteus medius tear
I have been diagnosed by ultrasound as having a gluteus medius tear. I'm not sure if it's a full tear or a partial tear. The radiologist wrote on his statement that the muscle looks torn and hasn't attached properly to its insertion on the greater trochanter after the surgery. I had hip replacement surgery 4 months ago. It took a long time before I could lift my leg sidelying, and I can still only do it partially and with pain, and only very few repetitions. I can lift it sideways in standing without problem, with about 2 kg in a pulley machine.
My question is: My surgeon suggests that he goes back in and sows it back, but my PT says that it's improving and that surgery isn't necessary. Who do I believe? Can the tear repair itself or do I need surgery? Do I worsen my condition if I put off surgery and try to exercise more? Very grateful for reply.
It is not like believing anyone.
One Psysician is talking conservative treatment and the surgeon repair.
Please consult another sports medicine expert and then take the decision.
Both the people want your muscle perfect, but you only go by the perfect consultation and what is good for you!
The final thing is your Gluteus medius should be repaired.
Take care
I to have been diagnosed with a partial tear of the Gluteus Medius tnedon tear. Have seen 2 orthopedic sport medicine doctors. The 1st said there is nothing that can be done except for physical therapy. The 2nd one sent me to have a 2nd MRI after i did a round of PT @ his office for 6 weeks with no improvement. It sounds like I have to live with the pain from it as well as other symptoms that it may have caused like the bursitis & tendonitis all on the same side as the tear. I cant even lie on my back or get a descent night sleep due to the pain.
My sister in law has just had athroscopic surgery for this and the results have been amazing.  The first day after surgery she felt no pain and her movement is improving every day. You need to find a good orthopedic surgeon in your area.