Has anyone had the Synvisc injections?
I have had left knee problems for at least 4 years now.  Dr. has given me quite a few injections into the knee.  Now he is suggesting Synvisc injections. This is injected once a week for three weeks and is supposed to provide up to 6 months of knee pain relief. I was wondering if anyone has had this treatment and if there are any side effects from it?  And does it really work and last as long as they claim?????  Thanks,  Kikko
I have had severe reactions to the all in one . Are you still  in pain or any other strange side effects. I am pursing an attorney, I had the 3 week  Synvic in 2010 but Oct  2012 had the all in one. My body literally falling apart.   My email is ***@**** you want correspond

Thanks Cherre Hensley
What is an attorney posse to do
glad  to read ur  post  since i am 53 myself and also had a bad car accident  at 19. Had 16 major breaks  in both arms, legs, neck, back ,jaw and  skull fx. i was told the same thing... id  be  having  alot  of  pain in 10 yrs. I went on with my life  enduring pain every day  thru out my whole   body. i had a  joint  replaced in 2010, then the  next in apr 2013, it  failed and  dislocated 3  times in 7 weeks, had another revision done to change all parts but the  stem of the implant.Now my  left knee needs to be replaced but i wanna  hold off till i am  totally recovered with no restrictions. that should be  jan. in the  mean time i have to have something done;i care  for  my  totally dependent  parents(well, dad  died 3 wks ago). for  5  yrs i never  got  better  from 1 surgery before i need another. I havent   been  able to stand or  walk more than 10 mins  for  5  yrs. Hope  synvix helps me.
Has anyone had a Synvisc One jab into an ankle - I am having one into my knee which I am too young to get a replacement for and on the same day one into my other ankle which is in need of a triple fusion.  I am rather nervous but am in a knee brace and or Moon Boot trying to cope with pain as it increases.
I have  3 shots and  still  have  paín in my left  knee  wont  go back
I agree with you Terri. My knees are killing me, I have had arthroscopy on my right onet to repair a torn meniscus  and then had to have a cortisone shot one month later and now I just completed my 3 week interval with gel shots. My left knee is so painful right now it is beyond relief. I am on pain medicine but to no avail.
I think you are right about straight to replacement. Walking is vital as I am a very busy person. I can barely get up from a chair.
Kathy118 - Have you had the arthroscopy on left knee also? I am mid 40's and had arthroscopy on one knee 3 yrs ago for torn miniscus and no more pain in that one. Similar problem in other knee recently but different doctor not wanting to do the arthroscopy for some reason. Just finished last SynVisc injection but the pain is almost not bearable and I limp around horribly. I can't imagine the SynVisc is going to do much but I'll give it a chance. They told me I won't know for sure for 5-6 weeks after this last injection. Thanks... MG
I am curious what type of joint supplements you take?

Thanks.
Can you jog or run after synvisc
Had both knees injected yesterday!

The injection in the right knee was a breeze and hardly felt it. The left knee however was a different story, very painful procedure.

Last night was the first night I have had no pain at all while in bed, which felt weird after years of being woken up with knee pain. Looking forward to more pain free nights. Pretty much pain free while resting.

Already feeling less pain while standing and walking - according to reviews it takes about a month to get the full benefit. Even if there are no further improvements, hoping this isn't the case though, I am glad I had the procedure and would recomended it to others.
Hello and Welcome to MedHelp! I am the Orthopedic Community Leader for MedHelp. Thank you very much for your input, it sounds very inspirational for those contemplating this procedure! I guess you will have two more injections (once a week), I hope for your continued pain relief. Have a great day! jd1963
Just had a Synvisc injection on a Thursday. Went back to work on the following Monday and was basically dragging my leg behind me the entire day. I don't know if it's because I didn't give the medicine enough time to kick in or what. Dr. said one to two weeks to notice any reduction in pain. Hope that's the case. First time I went to see him, got x-rays and a cortisone shot to start. Looking at my x-rays the first time he tells me that if he didn't take notice of my age, that he would've recommended a knee replacement. I'm 39, and in massive amounts of pain almost every day. Used to be very active in sports to try and keep myself in shape. Now, I'm fortunate enough to make it to the bathroom some mornings when I wake up. It's madness, and I've heard nothing but good things about this medicine. So hoping and praying it works so I can try to be active again.
Hello and Welcome to the MedHelp Orthopedic Community (if you are new)! I have only been on this site about a month, but I am the Community Leader here.

I am truly sorry to hear of your pain! I (Orthopedic Surgical First Assistant 25+ years) have administered hundreds of Synvisc injections and have had a huge mix of results. It varies from patient to patient, some it helped in a week or more, others not at all. The length of relief has varied greatly too. Some patients that have gotten relief had it for weeks, others for months, some forever!

I guess you have 2 more injections (a week apart) to go.

I hope this gives you a little more insight on Synvisc. Please don't hesitate to contact me for any other questions/ issues!

Have a Great Day!  JD1963

Your story sounds almost identical to mine. I'm also 39 and played sports pretty much since I've been able to catch, throw, & run. After being nearly killed when hit by a truck on the highway as a pedestrian almost 3 yrs ago,  the trauma to my left knee has caused it to deteriorate severely in such a short time. My knee was completely dislocated and blew out all ligaments, which remain just barely scarred in. I'm in agonizing pain most days and must have a bedside commode otherwise I'd never make the trek to the bathroom. I went to the Orthopedic Surgeon who reconstructed my right knee when I played Women's Professional full contact football for several years and after a brief exam and one short glance at my X-rays, I was told I'd definitely require a total knee replacement, but due to my young age, I could opt to try Synvisc injections to delay the replacement surgery for a while. I haven't had the injection yet (still waiting for approval from my Medicare insurance). I'd just like to know what I can expect. I don't really care about being "too young for knee replacement", I just want to be able to walk normal without pain. I want to give the Synvisc One injection a try in hopes that it will actually bring relief.
A lot of pain
Hi, I've just had synvisc one injected to my left knee. I would like to know why there is time effectiveness limit ie 6 months or so. And do people become dependent on it once they start?
I'm posting for my husband, who has had severe left knee pain since 2010.  He received 3 injections of Supartz, with no help whatsoever.  The PA apparently didn't look at his knee x-rays as he does NOT have OA.  He FINALLY was able to have an MRI of his knee and he has 4 popliteal cysts in his knee joint, one is obscuring the insertion of the medial meniscus and another cyst is obscuring the insertion of the ACL. so the radiologist couldn't tell if there was any damage there, but suspects that there is as he also has an effusion in the knee.  He's a vet and gets his care through the VA.  His Primary Care Physician refuses to put in another consult to the Ortho Clinic in the Houston VA hospital because they refused to do an arthorscopy until he starts exercising, looses weight, and gets his A1C lowered.  He had Type 2 Diabetes.  Because the pain is so severe in his knee, even standing causes severe pain, he's not able to exercise to loose weight. Just pray that I can put enough pressure on his PCP to allow him to have the arthoscopy to remove the cysts and check the ACL and medial meniscus.  Also, when I had a torn medial meniscus repaired, I asked my Ortho doc about Glucosomine Chondrotin, and he said that it does work to help the cartilage, as several reputable studies have been done.  He's the team doctor for the college here, so I feel like he knows what he's talking about.
I have had this series of shots 2 times.  I think your swelling is from the steroids and not the shot.  I am on steroids right now and had the shot yesterday and it swelled instantly.  I believe it will go down.
I would be very careful of the Synvic because it has Formaldehyde and v inylsufone in it.  I got this and my knee is no better.  
I had these injections many years ago done by a Rheumy who didn't even know where to put the needle in. So, there I was with her twiddling around in my knee I felt like screaming . Had to go back for 2 more injections as well. Didn't help me one bit and had to go through her fiddling around 2 more times!
How are your knees now?
Working on getting my third injection on Friday....after the first one I had relief of pain in my knee...today things are the same...pretty much like having a new knew..no pain at all...Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.  I am careful and don't over do but walking now is so much better than having every step feel like being stabbed with a knife!  I am female and just turning 68 next week.
Hi there, i had my first ever Synvisc injection today and really live in hope that it works. I'm 42 and in desperate need of a double knee replacement due to the severe arthritis in them. Due to my previous knee operations and screw holes in my tibia a replacement cannot be done as the tibia will fracture. So this is it. I'll keep you posted. Any suggestions on what to do exercise wise or anything to help Synvisc work  best post needle?
I had synvisc courses of three injections for three weeks absolutely brilliant, but had to have a knee replacement op eventually, but now i am trying to get synvisc for my left knee
I will be 77 (female) this summer and have had these injections for the past three or four years at intervals of 6 to 8 months apart. I still have some cartilage in knees but definitely arthritis and the injections (done professionally by a Sports Medicine M D Vanderbilt) are quite effective. They have enabled me to keep walking and do yard work and mow my yard with riding mower and walk my dog. After I get them, I forget when walking that I even have knee problem. That is good! I would certainly recommend the Synvisc One. My physical therapist recommended the procedure and the Dr. Make sure you get a good Dr.
I'm a believer in Synvisc I, for sure.  Had my first injections which resulted in no real pain, only a little 'pressure' in the knee joint.  It was almost 2 years before I needed another set of injections.  This round produced relief for about 18 months, and I had a third set of injections.  That was nearly a year ago, and I am starting to feel the pain returning.  None have been particularly painful, one have had any adverse after effects and have only experienced a 'cushiony;' feeling in my knees a few days after each set of injections. which wasn't painful or unpleasant, just 'different'.  I have little doubt that, without Synvisc I I would have already been either a cripple, or would have had to have knee replacement surgery.  As far as I am concerned, this stuff is wonderful, and I recommend it to any of my friends who talk about having knee pain.  At this point, I look forward to getting the injections, because I know the pain relief they bring.  
I am 16 and had 3 Synvisc shots at the beginning of the year in 2015 and I had very high hopes that the shots would help. I had a knee injury and they were supposed to make the pain go away. Everyone I know that have had the shots day they worked like a dream and were amazing. I did not have the same results. I still have the exact same amount of pain and what feels like a sore/painful spot where the shots were given. My first shot felt like a simple, nearly painless shot. The next two shots were given by a different doctor and hurt VERY badly. Is the sore spot normal almost 3 months later?
I just had my first round of injections and so far so good
Had Synvisc series last December. For a few months they seemed to help. Now, I'm almost back to the point I was at before the injections--lots of pain, swelling and stiffness. Going to make an appointment with the Regenexx people. I plan to exhaust every option before considering knee replacement.
I had a one time Synvisc injection and it was so painful I thought I was going to pass out. It's only been 3 days so I presume it's normal to have lots of pain now. I'll update my results in a month.
thats why I thought after my first injection. I had a SEVERE and evidently not so uncommon anaphylactic reaction to the shot. I called my surgeon in CA that I trust ( I moved to a different state) and he said," I NEVER give anyone Synvisc: It has formaldehyde in it as well as other allergens like Chicken combs. The second shot is what destroys peoples knees. Don't do it. Go google Synvisc second shot pseudo sepsis.
you are having a severe reaction. Please google synvisc severe reactions. and read the blogs. This shot is not safe and top knee doctors I have spoken to in CA and Boston ( New england Baptist orthopedic hospital) do NOT give people Synvisc. If you have a serious reaction ( swelling, immobility) you can die. Please read everything and run !
the one time shot is the dangerous one. It causes anaphylactic reactions and can not only ruin your knee further but cause immune system disorders .See my comments above

Is any one out there having a problem getting there snyvic one injectios?I have been getting the injections for 5 yrs and this is the first time my doctors office tells me that they still do not have the shot in as of 2 months ago.
I am  a 57yo woman that was diagnosed with OA in November 2014. in both knees.  Unfortunately  that was when I lost my insurance.. By May 2015 the pain was significant, around  a 7-8.  In June I went to an Ortho Dr and got Xrays and a cortisone shot in each knee at a cost of $250.00 per knee, the total amount for the services was 726.00. The shots did help for a few weeks but my left knee pain returned.  Went back to Ortho Dr at the end of June and got a cortisone shot in my left knee. ($360. 00.)  My Ortho charges 250.00 for each shot. At that time I asked him if I can get pharmacy assistance from the maker of synvisc would he provide a RX.  Synvisc costs 594.00 per shot at my DR's office if you pay out of pocket. I was approved and  the shots were sent to my DR's office free of charge.  My DR charged me the amount that Medicare pays for injections. (56.00) . First injection  on July 13 and it worked very well. Second shot June 20 made my knees feel tight and  painful.
Third shot June 27, left my knees inflamed,  tight, stiff and painful. The Synvisc in my right knee tried to ooze out at the injection site. This led me to wonder why Synvisc is one size fits all, surely my knees cannot hold as much volume as a male. Anyway the Dr had told me it takes 6 weeks for the Synvisc to work.  I am hoping and praying it does work. .
How old are you ?
Hi i am 52 male got synvisc one in both knees and get sewere side effects . One month now i am unable to walk or stand according to specialist i have to wait more then month to clear effect. But i am going bad and more bad unbeleveable pains disscomfort stiffness. What should i do
How old are you ?
How old are you ?
Why 3 injections then ?
Had my first Synvisc One shot today 12/1/15, Have had tow surgeries on each knee. I am hoping that this shot lasts for awhile
I'm a 56 year old male and have been dealing with OA in both knees for at least 5 years. I have been getting Orthovisc shots in both knees every 6 months for at least 4 years now. I get the 3 shot protocol o 1 shot in each knee for 3 weeks. Typically it takes about a month after the 3rd shot to notice the pain has subsided.

It is typical for the 1st and second shots to not hurt that much, but the 3rd shot usually hurts more. I attribute the additional pain of the 3rd shot to the fact that the bursa sack in the knee where the fluid is being injected is full by the time of the 3rd shot and the pain is due to the fluid expanding and causing pressure in the knee joint.

The treatment works for me and has provided significant relief of pain. It's not a complete miracle though. I still have some low level pain from time to time in my knees, particularly in the left knee, but it makes it manageable and so far has allowed me to avoid surgery.

I also tried the single shot Synvisc injection, but that did not work as well for me as the 3 injection Orthovisc, so I have returned to the 3 injection method.

One really big issue for injection pain is the angle the physician uses to inject the fluid. My understanding is there are 3 injection angles lower lateral, mid lateral and upper lateral. My physician uses a mid lateral angle for my injections and that's not very painful. He once changed the injection angle to upper lateral on me and the pain was really severe and almost put me through the ceiling, so that's something to be aware of.

I've talked to a bunch of other people who also are receiving these injections and for the most part, they seem to have a similar experience with some to a lot or relief of pain and the relief seems to last for 6 months to 1 year before they need to have injections again.
I am 62 and received my first injection today. Prior to the first injection I was running 3-4 times per week. How long should I wait to run? My chronic pain was meniscual related so not sure what to expect in this early stage. Should I wait to run? My Ortho stated only stationary bike workouts? Anyone?
I have very bad authritus in both knees. The Doctor started with Cortazone  shots and a day later I felt like a 18 year old.It lasted a month and then the pain comes back so bad! I can't go upstairs or walk long at all.It's hard to get out of a chair. Then he gave me another cortazone shot and again another 30 days of feeling great! Then he said lets do synvist one. I went on Christmas Eve 2015 and I'm in more pain now then ever! It didn't do anything for me! I called and the gave me a pill for the swelling but nothing for the pain. I saw the bill to Blue Cross it was 7600.00 I feel like I got screwed! I'm 57 and have a ten year old son. Since my knees started to go I cant move like I use too. In 4 years I went fro 200 pounds to 325 pounds. I want my old life back  
I had both my knees done the right knee is in so much pain swelling the pain is up micaft to down my thigh and I wouldn't recommend the shot to anybody they ended up giving me prednisone pill to bring down any inflammation and my shots were given to me last week Monday and here I am at the night and 11 today and I am still in a whole lot of pain and I spoke with the doctor that gave it and he says oh well we can take the injection out I was like huh I don't know but never again
Had my first 3 shot treatment of Synvisc 1-1/2 years ago for a very painful and stiff knee. Just started my second series of three shots today.  Someday will probably have to bite the bullet for a knee replacement.
I have Kaiser and they wont pay for Synvisc, so it is out of pocket for me, how much will this cost? I am bone on bone now on one side of left knee, need help fast, the Cortisone does not work much anymore.  Any advice is welcomed
I have been getting the Synvisc (3 injection series) for several years now.  They have done wonders for me.  I have never tried the one shot version, but as I understand it, it's the same medication just more of it at once.  When the injections wear off, I have trouble walking and my knee hurts all the time, and OTC anti-inflammatories just don't seem to cut it.  I have had my left knee operated on twice now, and after my last surgery (8 or 9 years ago) they told me I was too young for a knee repladcement at 40.  The injections have been keeping me going until I can't put off the replacement anymore.

The injections have become routine, and I'm in and out of the ortho's office in a matter of minutes.  They shots are generally not painful when I get them either.  I try to take it easy for a couple of days after each shot, and it takes about 3-4 weeks (from the first shot) for the medication to take full  effect, but the pain relief usually last between 6 months to just over a year for me.

I have - last Monday and the side effects are terrible I have so much pain in my knee I can barely bend it I'm walking with a cane now it goes down my calf and up my thigh it is horrible it may work for some people but I would never do this again to him yeah
Let's just say they work for some people and not for all