Orthopedics Community
Has anyone had the Synvisc injections?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Viewing 201-295 comments:
Synvisc injections work very well in my opinion.  I am now looking into getting the injections again.  I got my original injections in 2007 and I haven't had need of another dose until now in 2012.

Badd777
hi i had one jab about 9 months ago, excellent response no pain at all, just recently am just starting to get a liitle pain again, i will have no hesitation in going back for another
gened
Having the Synvisc One injection next week.   I am a 46 year old male that has, for the past few years only been able to exercise (very little) when my knees did not hurt. I recently rediscovered golf, and my goal this year is to walk all 18 holes. It also has really been bad with two active boys, 13 and 6 years old.   I had arthroscopic surgery on my left knee in 2008 and then on both knees in Dec 2011.  The pain is about a 5 on a daily basis, never less. I am hoping that this will help me manage the pain before my after 50 knee replacement.
finished the series of 3 yesterday, today my knee feels a little better, not so much pain can walk without limping.  My doc used the freezing spray and a lido injection.  The shot was really not painful.  Keeping my fingers crossed for a good out come with the synvisc.  But sometimes i get this urge to crow and scratch in the dirt, hahaha
How funny!  I see those commercials all the time lol.  I get my Synvisc 1 on Monday 4/30.  I had meniscus tear and surgery 2 months ago.  I'm still in a great deal of pain and popping Vicodin daily.  I sure hope it work :D.  
Whew!! Glad to hear it didn't hurt much.  I get mine on 4/30 and I'm a bit chicken but anything has to be better than limping around
Thank you so much for your posting on knee replacements.  I am just 50 and facing a strong possibity of a knee replacement.  I feel encouragement from your posting!  Thank you!
I had my first synvisc 1 shot about 3 1/2 weeks ago.  I did not know about the possible reactions.  My knee has been swelled up since.  Does anyone know how long this will be like this?  I elevated my knee, iced it and have been on steroids for 2 weeks.  Help!  I need some advice.  Hopefully someone will be out there like me and tell me that the swelling will go down soon :(
I have been reading all the comments on this website about the synvisc injections and I'm so happy for those its been the answer.  Unfortunately, for me just another route of complications. My knee swelled, the pain has worsened and now my other knee and lower back are being affected.  To me, these expensive shots are only a detour from having knee replacement!
I get my treatments from the VA and am on my third round of shots in two years.  Yes, for the first 2-3 days after the shots they hurt like the dickens, especially after the second one for some reason.  I can barely walk for a day or so.  It's also not always pain, just a mushy feeling.  But then it's wonderful.  I'm virtually pain free and can do anything.  I was injured 32 years ago in a car accident in the Air Force at 19 and my knees went into the dash in a head on collision.  I've had a level 2-3 pain since with spikes to 8-9 weekly depending on activity (I don't slow down). I also had half my thyroid removed and due to complications balooned up to 250 lbs, which I have been fighting unsuccessfully to lose for 15 years so that just puts more stress on my knees. OA set in during my 20's so I just learned to live with it and move on with my life.  The VA tells me I can do the shots every 6 months for 8 to 10 years.  By then I'll be in my 60's.  Considering they told me at 19 I wouldn't be walking in 10 years if I refused surgery (which I did) I think I'm doing pretty good.  I'm putting off any surgical option as long as possible.  I figure the longer I wait the better the options will be!
I have had similar problems in my right knee. Multiple surgeries, OA now, weak painful all the time. Had cortizone shots with minimal results. Had Synvisc 1 shot 4 months ago. The shot was extremely painful. I was on crutches a couple days after the shot unable to put weight on my right leg. After taking anti-inflammatories things improved slightly. I am now 4 months out of the shot and had NO pain relief what so ever. The knee is much worse than before. I have pain in the shot area that wasn't there before. When I press on the left side of my right knee on the bone pain shoots through my knee. I believe the doctor did the shot incorrectly. I am now out of options and too young for knee replacement. I would NEVER get this shot again.
I've had the synvisc(3 injections) had a reaction on the3rd injection. Lots of swelling and pain it caused.But I'm doing so much better.. They now have a synvisc 1 (1 injection) but I am thinking getting this new one that's more natural. Can't remember the name, sounds like useflex, will have to check it out. But if you want to know if it hurts when getting the injecton,  not too bad. Only felt it a little bit on the 3rd injection when it went into the joint. But it was only for a second. My surgeon is pretty great at it. Hardly felt it so I'm not afraid of him sticking me with a needle. He's a pro and very gentle with me. A great orthopedic surgeon makes the difference.
I don't see the shot helping your baker's cyst.
they don't usually do anything for them,
surgery is rare
I had one yesterday.  My Dr. sprays a freeze solution on because he knows that I am nervous about a big needle in my knee.  I hardly felt anything.  I think that it is all in the expertise of the Dr.  The PA in the office also drained my knee and gave me an injection and he was equally good at the procedure.
I have had several synvisc shots over the past 5 or 6 years.  Just had shots in both knees.  It usually takes a couple days before all the day is gone.  But it is improving each day. I highly recommend it if your doctor has suggested that you need it.  When I originally had a synvisc shot, it was a series of 3 shots.  Now it is a one time shot.
Great post! Made me giggle. I am considering the Synovisc too. Let me know how you made out in the long run.
I just started my second session yesterday ( had cortizon shot) will be getting the three injections starting in about three weeks,  I am verysatisfied with the Synvisc, had the same series done August of last year and it has helped me alot,  I am not even  considering total knee replacement.
Good Luck with your injections.  ( I have to admit the Cortizone shot was the most painful and the size of the needle scares me to death)  
had my first one today.. make sure they use that spray that numbs it...even with, it's uncomfortable at best (OUCH) but tolerable. I went to water aerobics afterwards without issue, altho I am reading maybe I shouldn't have. Think I'll baby it now.. it is a bit swollen. Good luck.
Just wanted to share my experience with the Synvisc 1 shots. I'm 62 years old, just got through with my second hip replacement and I have no cartilage left in my knees due to tearing from playing sports for many years after I should have quit. The first was in my left knee about a month ago. As of this writing, there is no more of the sharp and intense arthritic pain. The knee basically just feels bruised. I had the right knee shot two weeks ago. Again, the sharp pain is gone now. but it also feels almost like a bad bruise. The knee pain was aggravated by the excessive exercise using a walker when I was in hip re-hab. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do after several weeks and see if I can throw my cane in the river! If I can get these knees to the point that I can walk half way normal, it'll be a new world for me. I highly suggest the Synvisc treatments. The only thing you have to lose is a bunch of pain!
I just completed the three injections a week apart none of which was painful at all. Actually did not feel anything. My doc will not do the synvic 1 - he says he has better results with the 3 series.

My knee is certainly better but he says to wait a week and then I should feel great improvement. I have had NO side effects at all - no residual pain, swelling or any discomfort.
I had 2nd shot last week (getting it in both knees) and ended up with considerable swelling in my right knee. I think I may have overdone it though--after 48 hours pushed cart and walked 9 holes on the golf course and then walked 2+ miles a few days later. MD drew 30 cc of fluid off right knee so it is feeling better now. Big decision for me is whether to have 3rd and final shot...
did you try stem cell therapy??? i heard that it works better.
I have a small tear in my lateral meniscus  but doc says should not be causing this much pain, he asked for a different injection but insurance. Will only pay for synvisc. Now after reading the comments I just don't know what to do --- in soo much pain. Any advice ?
I am 4.5 months post orthoscopic knee surgery. Had a  hard time recovering , my knee had remained sore and swollen even with PT, and rest.
I have had 2 of my 3 prescribed Synvisc shots, and my knee feels WAY better. After reading a lot of negative reviews online, I was scared to get the shots, my Dr. swore it wouldn't hurt and I would have relief.
Before injections he did spray a topical freezing spray to the area, then drained some fluid out of my knee. The shots took less than 5 minutes, and I have had considerable relief. No more swelling, less stiffness, better range of motion, less pain. I am in the gym strengthening my leg muscles as well as my core. I wish I had had the injections sooner. The actual injection to my joint did not hurt at all, nor did I have pain after the injection. I would definitely have a Surgeon or Dr. do injections. Hope my post helps!!
hi i have had this injection twice with little to no change it is very fustrating i also has bila scope surgery meniscus tear, about 7 to 8 yrs ago, pills are making me sick being dope up all the time is no fun, now i am seek an sport orth doctor about rt knee replacement.and these ins co are part of the problem with delaying auth for precudures to be done,,,i wish eveyone good luck maxine--i am requesting to be put to sleep for this nerve block injection to rt knee, last year i had my lf knee nerve block done it has help a lot/////
I had the Synvisc one injection 2 weeks ago and after 2 weeks it has helped a lot. The injection pain is minimal until it goes deep into the knee ad hits the pocket it is suppose to. That hurts but not a lot. Less for me than a shot at the dentist. The results surprised me since I had the 3 shot version a couple years ago with no results. I have no medial meniscus so will eventually need at least a partial. I have waited 5 years since the ortho. dr.  told me I needed a full knee replacement but partial knee replacements were not an option back then, at least I had not heard of them. Am hoping I have not done too much damage since since every year since the first diagnosis with 2 scope operations, the osteoarthritis has gotten worse. My left knee has always been fine so an injury to the right knee caused the eventual osteoarthritis. I would suggest a scope early on but my first scope was done very poorly since the hotshot surgeon took off too much meniscus and left a flap at th end which caught between 2 bones and shredded my medial meniscus. My second surgeon even admitted the first scope was a disaster, worst job he had seen. So choose your surgeon carefully.
As a rheumatologist, I use both Synvisc and Synvisc one for my patients with osteoarthritis. Synvisc is one of the 5 forms of hyaluronic acid in the US market for treatment of knee osteoarthritis. It is thought to lubricate and cushion the joint and to reduce pain. It does not work on everyone- about 2/3 of people benefit from these injections, and in my experience Synvisc (3 weekly injections) may be slightly more effective than Synvics one. All hyaluronic acids are thought to work better in people with mild to moderate osteoarthritis than those with severe disease. Some people start seeing a benefit after the 2nd injection, but the effects seem to peak about one week after the 3rd injection. The injections can be repeated every 6 months. For people who see a benefit with these injections, it is an excellent alternative to surgery.
I have my third shot Monday afternoon.  First one didn't do any good and the second one put me out of service for 3 days.  I'm a machinist and on my feet all day long.  I'm good for the first 3 or 4 hours and then I can't stand it.  They have me on tramadol ever 3 hours with Tylenol and that don't even faze it.  Not sure if I want a third shot.  So far my boss has been understanding but don't know how long that will last.  The reason I'm taking the shots is I have a dead spot o. My femur.  
Hi Vili,
I heavily played competative tennis for a long time and now my right knee takes a toll.  I don't have any lateral meniscus and catirlage left.  After the surgery, my doctor recommended me to have Synvisc after 1 month from the surgery date.  It's has been 4 weeks now as I am doing my own therapy.  The swelling is 90% gone but I do feel my knee is "locked" and a knee pain as I bend (part of the therapy).  Do or did you feel the same?  Have you gotten the Synvisc?  How was it in regard to the locked knee.  Please advise. Lang Tran, Nov 19th, 2012.
I've got problems with both knees, the one with bone spurs, chronic swelling, and degeneration of the cartilage under the patella responds to the Synvisc shots wonderfully.  It takes the pain away for up to 6 months, then I get the shots again, (3 shots in one Dr. visit).  But interestingly my other knee, which just has general degeneration from arthritis, did not respond to the Synvisc at all.  I've also tried Cortisone in both knees with no success but the Synvisc was a godsend for the one knee.  I've been getting the shots every 4 to 6 months since early 2009 and like I said they work wonderfully, but only the one knee responded to it.
Yes they've changed it to one injection. I had a series of 3 shots, once a week for 3 week on my left. The shots did nothing for myleft knee and a TKR was eventually done---put this off as long as you can. Now, 2yrs later, my right knee needs a TKR and I'm putting it off. The shots have been condensed to one shot instead a series of three HOWEVER, the one shot has the consistency of peanut putter and doesn't feel good going in. After about a week and a half, much improvement with the paind and swelling was noticeable. It's been 6 weeks now and I'm still doing pretty good although there are days when it bothers me. The shot is only a band-aid for TKR but having gone thru it before, I'll take as many band-aids as I can.  
I just had 1 synvisc and pain intolerable for me (fibromyalgia). I have begun to advocate for knee replacement.
Why do you want to put this off having had one.
I could take a painkiller before I do another injection if needed, but I have thin cartilage and arthritis, and I want my life back--even if not completely the way it used to be!
I have RA and fibromyalgia.  Have had 6 arthoscopic surgeries because they have to clean my knees out and my cartilage is thinning causing pain on stairs, squating and kneeling.  Can't run because it hurts so bad.  My ortho Dr. is suggesting Synvisc.  Not sure it will work and hate pain.  Very skeptical.  Advice???
sickofknees
My mother is 91 and has severe OA in her knees.  She recently fell and broke her hip which has mended nicely, but her poor knees are so painful she can only walk a few steps at a time.  She had a synvisc shot Monday but hasn't seen any change yet.  How long does it take before she'll notice if it will be helpful?
Mine took 2-4 weeks before i felt any relief.  I have had two rounds of it and it works really well for me. I had to keep bending my knees so the gel would move repeatedly...all in all..one injection..every 6 months....the key is to keep it moving...so the gel iwll have a chance to move...the injection was.uncomfortable,but not painful.
Have you been able to throw your cane in the river?  I am now giving so thought to some form of knee pain relief.  Just wondering if it worked.  Thanks
I got a Synviscone injection in early November 2012. I was told that if it worked, it would be a month before I noticed any difference, and hopefully it would last for 6 months.  The shot was not painful, and I did not experience any problems due to it. It did take about a month to notice any difference.
It certainly made a difference. It did not relive all the pain, but it has allowed me to practice for the triple jump and the hurdles for the past 3 months.
  Until it wore off (around Feb 8), I didn't realize quite how much of the pain it had relieved.I thought it had reduced the pain by about 30% but now that it's worn off, I realize that it probably reduced the pain by about 70%.  I'm 60 years old, have had 3 arthoscopys on my right knee, and now endure excruciating bone on bone pain in it.
  I didn't really expect to get six months of relief, as what I'm trying to do (train for the National Masters Championship in the Long & Triple Jumps, is extremely demanding on both the knees and the body.) The Four months of reduced pain, I got, was well worth trying SynviscOne. Unfortunately The National Championships are March 22-24 2013 and my insurance won't cover another injection until May. Still, my experience with Synvisc was very positive. I recommend it highly.
i had this procedure done since 2001 and it works great. it take about a month before the gel finally settles in place so you will suffer thru some discomfort but after i was able to run a marathon 26.2 miles, play in basketball, softball and volleyball leagues and it last about 2 years before i have to have synvisc injected again.
I've had all three injections...I was getting ready to have knee replacement
surgery when I thought I would give the synvise injections a try. I'm 65 and pretty active. Yesterday I ran 2 miles and hit 150 golfballs, no pain no swelling!

Needless to say I'm holding off on the surgery.
I'm so glad you posted, I too was given my first injections 2 days ago in both knees. I have had the same reaction, more pain, extreme swelling by the end of the day. At this point I'm wishing I didn't have it done! I'll be calling my ortho tomorrow!   Tamara
I had cortisone shots to the left knee and went through the series of gel shots in the 3 week period with no success after 4 scope surgery's.  the pain is still there and it feels worse now. what do I need to expect since I do not see my doctor for another 5 weeks?
Hi bobrcoolspot209,

My organization is conducting a study to better understand the experience of patients, such as yourself, receiving hyaluronic acid injections in the knee for osteoarthritis. Given it was successful in holding off surgery in your case, we are interested in scheduling a ~30 minute interview to chat about your treatment. We can offer you an honorarium of $100/hour on a prorated bases for your time, or are willing to donate the compensation to a charity of your choosing. Please contact me at ***@**** if you would like more information or are interested in participating.

Thanks for your consideration, looking forward to hearing from you.
I want to share my experience with the Synvisc injections.  I am female and now 60 years old.  I had a bad accident at the Atlanta Airport in the early 80's.  I dislocated my knee cap on the tram.  (my first and last ride on it)....I ended up over the years and have had 4 knee surgeries.  I finally got the injections and have had them several times as well in both knees.  The doctors have told me that eventually I will need a knee replacement.  The last time I got the injections, my PA asked me where I had been as it had been over 2 years since I was in the doctors office.  YES...the 3 injections lasted this long for me.  IT IS WELL WORTH THE TIME AND THE MONEY.  I am aware that what works for one person may or may not work for another.  I do take joint supplements and Omegas as well which I also think helps me.  
I have a large tear in my medial meniscus and bone on bone OA.  I have had series of Hylagan injections in the past with great results--lasted almost 2 years. I had 2 previous knee surgeries on the left with meniscus tears in 1991 and 1998.

My Orthopoedist injected me with Synvisc-1 a little over 2 weeks ago.  My knee is swollen, painful and peeling (probably from the freezing spray).  Pain is excruciating, and analgesics do not help.  My Rheumatologist said that Hylagan has fewer adverse reactions.  I am off my feet, with knees elevated.  Ice is the best analgesic for me.  Hope that this helps you, Patti.  Advil/Ibuprofen gel caps provide some relief
I also received Synvisc 3 weeks ago without any relief....
I had a meniscus tear last August 2012 and surgery October 2012..lots of pain ever since..diagnosed with OA...I am in good shape and very active.  I received Synvisc injection April 18 with no relief as yet... very discouraged.
I also had a very negative result after my injections of Synvisc. My knees are both bad and when I got the injections my Right knee was worse than the left and very sore.The injections were a one time thing and they were 8 ccs into each knee.The Dr. injected the medicine very fast and caused so much pain that I was in tears and was shocked at how much it hurt,especially the Right knee.I had the injections about 6 weeks ago and my knees have been much worse ever since.Now I can barely walk at times and the pain has changed from a bad aching to a bad sharp pain.I was told that the med. would either help or do nothing,I was not told there was a chance of it becoming worse.
I also had a very negative result after my injections of Synvisc. My knees are both bad and when I got the injections my Right knee was worse than the left and very sore.The injections were a one time thing and they were 8 ccs into each knee.The Dr. injected the medicine very fast and caused so much pain that I was in tears and was shocked at how much it hurt,especially the Right knee.I had the injections about 6 weeks ago and my knees have been much worse ever since.Now I can barely walk at times and the pain has changed from a bad aching to a bad sharp pain.I was told that the med. would either help or do nothing,I was not told there was a chance of it becoming worse.I too wonder if the specialist did the injection wrong,perhaps injected it too fast?
Hi everyone, im a 24 year old female from AUS and I play football. I was just wondering, from anyone, if they were able to go back to full contact sport? my doctor has recommended Synvisc 1 in my left knee. iv had a knee reco and 2 clean ups, I have AO in my knee. At 24 im not too keen on giving up the sport I love. Any feedback would be great.  
Hang in there.  I'm a Zumba Fitness instructor teaching about 6 hrs a week.  I had the series of 3 synvisc injections and it took about 8 weeks for me to feel the difference.  Once it kicked in though, I had no pain whatsoever for a year and a half.  I'm going back this week to repeat the injection series.  :)
I am a 38 year old female, I tore my meniscus in left knee June 2012 (no idea how). I had been having knee pain when walking and especially doing stairs for some time (lots of crackling!). During meniscus repair surgery, orthopedist "cleaned" what he could, but was told I have stage/level 3 arthritis, and most likely same in other knee. I have had so many shots of cortisone in both knees (ranging from no relief to 2 weeks max). I also tried the Euflexxa series of injections (no  improvement). I am told there is nothing to do but keep trying, but level 3 OA is rare in someone my age.? Last week I had Synvisc one injection in surgical knee (just happened to be the knee that hurt the worst that day). Now when you see syringe...um a little scared. 6 mL is a LOT of fluid! I believe the average knee has 3.5 mL (please correct me if I am wrong). The needle and injection did not bother me (no needle ever will again after having cortisone shots to both feet!!) I never felt a thing, and even though she said I will start feeling relief in 3 weeks - I was stunned the next day I felt a significant difference! My knee is a bit swollen (though it was before injection too), Cannot wait to have on the other...Any comments Appreciated!
I just had the synvisc one shots in both knees three weeks ago and am having the same adverse reaction = both knees are very tight and hurts to even walk, 500 times worse than ever before the shots. Was also not told how bad it could get and am very much looking for some answers or help. Anyone have suggestions on what might help please?
I have had a total of 9 injections at Jobe Kerlan in Los Angeles, they do all the Lakers and Clippers, I have had 2 knee surgeries, 54 mild to moderate knee pain, the stuff really worked for me. The doctor uses an ultra sound to guide to needle, amazing zero pain, anyone having pain from the shot has a lot of scar tissue or a blind Doctor.
I HAVE  HAD MY THIRD BATCH...THEY ARE GREAT......................LAST TIME I COULD NOT WALK WAITED TO LONG..I GET THEM ABOUT EVERY 21/2-3 YEARS.....................IT TKES A LITTLLE SWELLING AND A LITTLE TIME FOR THE TO GET PERFECT AGAINBUT THEY WORK
I just took my Synvisc One shots in both knees. I have been taken them since they have been on the market with good results. They really work and keeps the pain to a mininum. The shots actually last me more then 6 months. When the knees begin to hurt again, I then take them again.
I switched to Synvisc one about two years ago. On the three shot, I played tennis and also worked daily as an active construction worker. Since getting the one shot, I have slowly regressed all  the way back to the beginning of my knee pain.   The three shots never hurt to administer,  and had positive results, the one shot hurts to get, and I have had little to no positive effects.
I will call my doctor for a visit to get xrays, perhaps another cortisone shot, and ask for the  knee braces I had way back that held me over until Synvsic was approved for my use.
I feel the doctor has a better shot at getting the synvisc where it is supposed to be with three shots instead of one.
I am also going to ask my doctors opinion on platelet therapy. A concoction made from your own blood.
http://www.alaskabiosurgeon.com/documents/PRPBrochureforwebsite.pdf
I am 58 and hope to put off knee replacement as long as possible.
Good luck to all
I has a synvisc 1 injection 6 days ago.  Since day 3 it has been swollen and is stiff if I try to do knee to chest.  Any idea how long I can expect this?  
Have you had success with Synvisc injections for pain relief in the CMC thumb joint?
That is the next step for me as i have exhausted all the alternatives other than surgery which the dr. says i dont need now.
The pain is bad.thanks
I am 54 yr old female. Had meniscus tear shaved off 5/31. I continued to have major pain and swelling never subsided. Had MRI, I have severe OA on right side of my right knee and bone spurs on both side of knee.  I had the Synvisc One injection on 9/20. The PA did it using a ultrasound to get it in right spot. He sprayed a numbing stray 1st, then gave me a numbing shot which I will admit hurt but the actual injection did not hurt at all b/c of how he numbed it. I was pretty much off my feet for 48 hrs after this icing, ellivating and advil or vicodin if too much pain which I did have alot of pain. I was told it would get worse before it gets better and could take from 2 to 10 weeks to get full affect. I am on day 6 now and my pain is less, swelling is still there and I wear a brace when I am active on my feet. Can only do so much in a day before I have to get off my knee b/c it will swell worse. Hope my story helped.
I am on my 2nd shot in 6 days, I've had knee pain for years due to athletics,prior treatment corti. inj. every 4-5 mos, good results. Now with synvisc allot of pain post op, I;'m on day3 after 2nd shot, I'm very Leary  to have 3rd shot. I can't walk, swelling both knees, treated with lidocaine patches and Norco.(pain meds) , and ice. Who has time to recover from something that is suppose to be good? Do research before having inj. is very painful 8-9 level X 2weeks from 1st shot. no good results to report yet. Will return after 3rd shot.  
what is price of this injection
I have had severe reactions to the all in one . Are you still  in pain or any other strange side effects. I am pursing an attorney, I had the 3 week  Synvic in 2010 but Oct  2012 had the all in one. My body literally falling apart.   My email is ***@**** you want correspond

Thanks Cherre Hensley
glad  to read ur  post  since i am 53 myself and also had a bad car accident  at 19. Had 16 major breaks  in both arms, legs, neck, back ,jaw and  skull fx. i was told the same thing... id  be  having  alot  of  pain in 10 yrs. I went on with my life  enduring pain every day  thru out my whole   body. i had a  joint  replaced in 2010, then the  next in apr 2013, it  failed and  dislocated 3  times in 7 weeks, had another revision done to change all parts but the  stem of the implant.Now my  left knee needs to be replaced but i wanna  hold off till i am  totally recovered with no restrictions. that should be  jan. in the  mean time i have to have something done;i care  for  my  totally dependent  parents(well, dad  died 3 wks ago). for  5  yrs i never  got  better  from 1 surgery before i need another. I havent   been  able to stand or  walk more than 10 mins  for  5  yrs. Hope  synvix helps me.
Has anyone had a Synvisc One jab into an ankle - I am having one into my knee which I am too young to get a replacement for and on the same day one into my other ankle which is in need of a triple fusion.  I am rather nervous but am in a knee brace and or Moon Boot trying to cope with pain as it increases.
I have  3 shots and  still  have  paín in my left  knee  wont  go back
I agree with you Terri. My knees are killing me, I have had arthroscopy on my right onet to repair a torn meniscus  and then had to have a cortisone shot one month later and now I just completed my 3 week interval with gel shots. My left knee is so painful right now it is beyond relief. I am on pain medicine but to no avail.
I think you are right about straight to replacement. Walking is vital as I am a very busy person. I can barely get up from a chair.
Kathy118 - Have you had the arthroscopy on left knee also? I am mid 40's and had arthroscopy on one knee 3 yrs ago for torn miniscus and no more pain in that one. Similar problem in other knee recently but different doctor not wanting to do the arthroscopy for some reason. Just finished last SynVisc injection but the pain is almost not bearable and I limp around horribly. I can't imagine the SynVisc is going to do much but I'll give it a chance. They told me I won't know for sure for 5-6 weeks after this last injection. Thanks... MG
I am curious what type of joint supplements you take?

Thanks.
Can you jog or run after synvisc
Had both knees injected yesterday!

The injection in the right knee was a breeze and hardly felt it. The left knee however was a different story, very painful procedure.

Last night was the first night I have had no pain at all while in bed, which felt weird after years of being woken up with knee pain. Looking forward to more pain free nights. Pretty much pain free while resting.

Already feeling less pain while standing and walking - according to reviews it takes about a month to get the full benefit. Even if there are no further improvements, hoping this isn't the case though, I am glad I had the procedure and would recomended it to others.
Hello and Welcome to MedHelp! I am the Orthopedic Community Leader for MedHelp. Thank you very much for your input, it sounds very inspirational for those contemplating this procedure! I guess you will have two more injections (once a week), I hope for your continued pain relief. Have a great day! jd1963
Just had a Synvisc injection on a Thursday. Went back to work on the following Monday and was basically dragging my leg behind me the entire day. I don't know if it's because I didn't give the medicine enough time to kick in or what. Dr. said one to two weeks to notice any reduction in pain. Hope that's the case. First time I went to see him, got x-rays and a cortisone shot to start. Looking at my x-rays the first time he tells me that if he didn't take notice of my age, that he would've recommended a knee replacement. I'm 39, and in massive amounts of pain almost every day. Used to be very active in sports to try and keep myself in shape. Now, I'm fortunate enough to make it to the bathroom some mornings when I wake up. It's madness, and I've heard nothing but good things about this medicine. So hoping and praying it works so I can try to be active again.
Hello and Welcome to the MedHelp Orthopedic Community (if you are new)! I have only been on this site about a month, but I am the Community Leader here.

I am truly sorry to hear of your pain! I (Orthopedic Surgical First Assistant 25+ years) have administered hundreds of Synvisc injections and have had a huge mix of results. It varies from patient to patient, some it helped in a week or more, others not at all. The length of relief has varied greatly too. Some patients that have gotten relief had it for weeks, others for months, some forever!

I guess you have 2 more injections (a week apart) to go.

I hope this gives you a little more insight on Synvisc. Please don't hesitate to contact me for any other questions/ issues!

Have a Great Day!  JD1963

Your story sounds almost identical to mine. I'm also 39 and played sports pretty much since I've been able to catch, throw, & run. After being nearly killed when hit by a truck on the highway as a pedestrian almost 3 yrs ago,  the trauma to my left knee has caused it to deteriorate severely in such a short time. My knee was completely dislocated and blew out all ligaments, which remain just barely scarred in. I'm in agonizing pain most days and must have a bedside commode otherwise I'd never make the trek to the bathroom. I went to the Orthopedic Surgeon who reconstructed my right knee when I played Women's Professional full contact football for several years and after a brief exam and one short glance at my X-rays, I was told I'd definitely require a total knee replacement, but due to my young age, I could opt to try Synvisc injections to delay the replacement surgery for a while. I haven't had the injection yet (still waiting for approval from my Medicare insurance). I'd just like to know what I can expect. I don't really care about being "too young for knee replacement", I just want to be able to walk normal without pain. I want to give the Synvisc One injection a try in hopes that it will actually bring relief.
Hi, I've just had synvisc one injected to my left knee. I would like to know why there is time effectiveness limit ie 6 months or so. And do people become dependent on it once they start?
I'm posting for my husband, who has had severe left knee pain since 2010.  He received 3 injections of Supartz, with no help whatsoever.  The PA apparently didn't look at his knee x-rays as he does NOT have OA.  He FINALLY was able to have an MRI of his knee and he has 4 popliteal cysts in his knee joint, one is obscuring the insertion of the medial meniscus and another cyst is obscuring the insertion of the ACL. so the radiologist couldn't tell if there was any damage there, but suspects that there is as he also has an effusion in the knee.  He's a vet and gets his care through the VA.  His Primary Care Physician refuses to put in another consult to the Ortho Clinic in the Houston VA hospital because they refused to do an arthorscopy until he starts exercising, looses weight, and gets his A1C lowered.  He had Type 2 Diabetes.  Because the pain is so severe in his knee, even standing causes severe pain, he's not able to exercise to loose weight. Just pray that I can put enough pressure on his PCP to allow him to have the arthoscopy to remove the cysts and check the ACL and medial meniscus.  Also, when I had a torn medial meniscus repaired, I asked my Ortho doc about Glucosomine Chondrotin, and he said that it does work to help the cartilage, as several reputable studies have been done.  He's the team doctor for the college here, so I feel like he knows what he's talking about.
I have had this series of shots 2 times.  I think your swelling is from the steroids and not the shot.  I am on steroids right now and had the shot yesterday and it swelled instantly.  I believe it will go down.
I would be very careful of the Synvic because it has Formaldehyde and v inylsufone in it.  I got this and my knee is no better.  
I had these injections many years ago done by a Rheumy who didn't even know where to put the needle in. So, there I was with her twiddling around in my knee I felt like screaming . Had to go back for 2 more injections as well. Didn't help me one bit and had to go through her fiddling around 2 more times!
How are your knees now?
Working on getting my third injection on Friday....after the first one I had relief of pain in my knee...today things are the same...pretty much like having a new knew..no pain at all...Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.  I am careful and don't over do but walking now is so much better than having every step feel like being stabbed with a knife!  I am female and just turning 68 next week.
Hi there, i had my first ever Synvisc injection today and really live in hope that it works. I'm 42 and in desperate need of a double knee replacement due to the severe arthritis in them. Due to my previous knee operations and screw holes in my tibia a replacement cannot be done as the tibia will fracture. So this is it. I'll keep you posted. Any suggestions on what to do exercise wise or anything to help Synvisc work  best post needle?
I had synvisc courses of three injections for three weeks absolutely brilliant, but had to have a knee replacement op eventually, but now i am trying to get synvisc for my left knee
Viewing 201-295 comments: