Orthopedics Community
Intermittent, sharp, pain, of short duration on side of knee cap

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I have intermittent very sharp pain just outside the inner part of my right knee cap. There is no swelling, redness, or sensitivity of the area, and it comes very suddenly, and passes within 5 -15 seconds. The pain is very intense. It can come while I'm immobile, or even sleeping. It doesn't feel like muscle or bone pain. I am a 47 year old male, very thin, and in good shape. I bike outdoors and use an eliptic machine indoors. No running or any other kind of pounding sports (had ACL repair of left knee 16 years ago and it's never been the same since. My orthopedist told me never to run again).
I went to an orthopedist for this pain and he had no suggestions. He checked the mobility and motion of my knee.
I can't find any symptoms like it anywhere on the Internet. I stopped all exercise a couple of weeks ago and it seemed to get better, and then last night in bed it came back, twice within a couple of minutes.
Has anyone heard of symptoms like this?
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your discomfort/ pain. Likely possibilities that may need to be considered with pain around the knee cap include chondromalacia patellae, tendonitis, bursitis, fractures, patellar dislocation, injuries to the internal knee ligaments/ menisci, infections/ inflammations, arthritis, cyst formation, growths etc. I would suggest consulting an orthopedician for an evaluation and appropriate management. Meanwhile you may try resting the knee with some OTC NSAIDS to relieve the pain.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Hi kneepain51. I started having something very similar a few weeks ago; only difference is my pain is right on the knee cap. I hit my knee on something and it hurt pretty bad for about 5-10 seconds and then I didn't have any pain at all until 3 days later in the middle of the night. It was as if I had hit my knee again and it keeps happening since then. The pain is very severe. It has happened 5-6 times in the last 3 weeks, about 10-15 sec. long, always in the middle of the night. I think it can be happening when I extend my leg after being folded for a long time while I'm asleep.

Anyway, my question is, did you ever find out what was happening to you?
Wow, I have had the same exact problem and could find nothing online.  I saw two doctors who both looked at me like I was crazy and could find nothing wrong with my knee (although all I got was a cursory exam).  My pains went away after a few months.  This was probably two years ago and they have not returned since.  The pain was awful.  Easily a 10.  I would writhe around for a few seconds and it would be gone.  As you described, it could happen anywhere, at any time.  As you posted a couple of years ago, I am curious to hear if your pain has stopped as mine has, and if you ever got any answers.
Same problem started with me about a month ago.  Very intermittent, not every day, no recollection of any injury.  Very sharp, just a second or two of intensely sharp pain.  Can't find anything about it.  If anyone knows anymore, please post.
I, too, have had this kind of sharp intermittent knee pain that only happens on occasion.  It only last a few seconds but it is pretty intense, enough for me to grab my knee at the time of the pain. It just happens randomly every few months or so and only last about a day.  It's right under my kneecap.  I haven't had any injuries to the knee so I am at a loss.