Orthopedics Community
Is this carpal tunnel or something else? What should I do? Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

My Dad has carpal tunnel and I have had some of the same symptoms as him. He had surgery on his a few years back. I have shooting pains in my right thumb and sometimes weakness in it. It hurts worse after using my thumb a lot. I wake up with my hand asleep and last night I woke up with that whole arm asleep and hurting. My wrist cracks badly in that hand as well. It hurts to bend my thumb sometimes too. Sometimes my wrist hurts but recently its been more in my thumb. I was wondering if this was carpal tunnel or if any one had any other ideas? Also I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I should do about it? Thank you so much!
Avatar dr m tn
It is your thumb you have explained, what about other fingers and when do you have more pain after fine movements or after strength bearing?
You have to get yourself examined near an orthopaedician as you have symptoms with your wrists and hands also. Just see for any nerve compression in the radial or ulnar nerve. Take care!
I think I will go to a doctor soon if this continues which I think it will. It is mainly after strength bearing that this happens I think. My fingers become numb as well but they do not hurt. Thank you for your help!!!
Avatar dr m tn
Something you have to know about carpal tunnel before you go for the Orthopaedician:

Most patients with symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome are middle-aged women. The dominant hand is most often involved.

Patients with carpal tunnel syndrome usually complain of pain and numbness or paraesthesia. The pain may be prominent in the wrist and hand, but may radiate to the
shoulder and scapula. Paraesthesia is expected to be limited to the distribution of the median nerve; however, paraesthesia is usually located over the tips of the fingers .

Symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome are often made worse by activities, such as knitting, hammering or driving a car. Symptoms are frequently worse at night. Patients may awake with pain and paraesthesia, which can be relieved by shaking their wrists. If the neuropathy has progressed sufficiently to cause motor weakness, the patient may complain of awkwardness with their hands and may note a tendency to drop objects.

Conservative treatment involves a wrist splint, which will often give relief to symptoms. Diuretics and cortisone injections beneath the carpal tunnel may also be effective.
Surgical treatment is performed by carpal tunnel release.
Avatar n tn
having carpal tunnel surgry in nov but i have alot of swelling and have to run my hands under hot water of morning to help take swelling down and my whole hands hurt is that part of this to
Avatar dr m tn
Hello!

Consider your activity modifications with your hands and wearing a splint to decrease the pain and swelling. Take intermittent non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs to decrease the inflammation.

Apply ice packs on the swelling.

Discuss with your surgeon and consider taking a steroid injection before your surgery if required.

Take care!