Orthopedics Community
Knee Cap got slammed and "popped"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Knee Cap got slammed and "popped"

I'll first explain how the injury happened (to offer a good picture), and then express the symptoms and ask my 2 questions.

As a mom, I was on all 4's crawing at full speed ahead (pretending to be a monster) as I chased my squeeling kids around the house. They went up the stairs, and so did this monter. Climbing/Crawling as fast as I could up the stairs, the top of my knee cap (Patella? area) of my knee got "caught" (slammed into) the curve of the next step up. It felt as though my knee cap slammed downward towards my shin/ankle area. A loud POP sounded and my knee instantly went numb and within about 6 seconds looked as though it had 3 ounces of liquid piling up in it. Within about a minute, a bruise was visible. Sensations included intense burning, and a swollen/huge scab-like feeling inside my knee.

Despite common sense, I did not go to the doctor because I hoped that the standard rule would apply: time heals most wounds.

I limped around for a few days, but could put some weight on it. After about 5 days swelling had greatly receeded and pain greatly decreased. However, it has been about 9 days now. Swelling is about 1/2 what it was, but still present. Burning sensations still come occationally during too much walking (more than about 45 min), and biking my usual 10 miles a day is still not even close to being an option. I still get the scab feeling, and the bruise is still present, although receeding. I can put all my weight on it now, however it occationally gives off a crack/pop sound when I do. Today, for the first time, I felt a shooting pain from the left side of my knee cap up into my inner thigh. To top it off, I have a bad habbit of rubbing my feet together while I sleep, and I frequently wake up with an inflamed knee, with burning sensations.

How long should this puppy take to heal? Should I be worried and go see a doctor? So far I have taken no medications. I have just taken it easy and elevated & iced it when it starts to flare up.

Thank you for your time and help.  

Skye

Hi Dear,

The pooping knee may be due to Discoid meniscus which is an abnormally shaped meniscus within the knee joint.
The discoid meniscus can cause problems, usually a popping sensation with pain over the outside part of the knee joint.
If there is a popping sensation, then conservative treatment consisting of exercises and stretching can be performed. If these treatments do not relieve the symptoms, arthroscopic surgery on the discoid meniscus would be helpful.
Best.

Thank you for this information. It helps me understand the situation a great deal better. It is healing steadily at this point, and I will slowly add in my regular exercises, and begin a stretching program to assist further.

Thank you very kindly for your response,

Skye