Knee manipulation after total knee replacement
I had total knee replacement the first part of January, 2011.  The middle of February my doctor did a manipulation under general.  Now I am scheduled for the second manipulation (4/15/11).  I haven't been pain free since the first surgery in January and have read that manipulations are a last resort and should not be done if possible to avoid them.  I have to do something as my quality of life is suffering very much.  I can bend my knee, but cannot straighten my leg.  I went to physical therapy 3 times a week for 10 weeks and see no improvement.  Thank Goodness I have not had to deal with infection, but the chronic pain is becoming worse.  Comments or help of any kind will be appreciated
Have they tried a 3x10=0 brace??  (When your Dr. desribes it, it will be referred to as a 'three times ten equals zero brace)  You are in it three times a day, for 10 minutes at a time to get you to 0 degrees of flexion (or full extension).
I have the Elite Seat which sounds like the brace you mentioned.  However, the pain is so bad I am not able to tighten the straps enough to really do what the machine is supposed to do.  Tomorrow, 4/15,  I have surgery to "scope and manipulate"  They will scrape the underside of my "plastic" knee and try to straighten my leg while I am under general. This whole thing has been a nightmare, however, if put in perspective, I hope it won't kill me and at least they aren't cutting off pieces and parts.  Pray for me in the surgery.  Thanks for responding.  G
How are you? How did the surgery go? I must admit your last post made me laugh. I hope you are well!
I had Manipulation last Tuesday. It's now Monday. No therapy, but a lot of pain. Pretty much where I left off, really. Can hardly walk, can't do much- is this my life now? Depression is setting in and I can't cope with the damned (sorry) pain-killers. They DO NOTHING but irritate and make me psycho. I haven't heard from the Dr.s or Physical Therapists, as of yet. I'm not liking this knee so far and I WILL suffer and not do surgery if my other knee goes. nor will I live my life this way. Right now- I'm just hanging waiting...
Hey jme!

We have spoken in the past. Please don't get too depressed, manipulations are always painful/ swollen. It will pass! My best advice is to attain the ROM your surgeon is looking for to avoid any further manipulations. Hang in there! JD1963