Orthopedics Community
Knee manipulation after total knee replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I had total knee replacement the first part of January, 2011.  The middle of February my doctor did a manipulation under general.  Now I am scheduled for the second manipulation (4/15/11).  I haven't been pain free since the first surgery in January and have read that manipulations are a last resort and should not be done if possible to avoid them.  I have to do something as my quality of life is suffering very much.  I can bend my knee, but cannot straighten my leg.  I went to physical therapy 3 times a week for 10 weeks and see no improvement.  Thank Goodness I have not had to deal with infection, but the chronic pain is becoming worse.  Comments or help of any kind will be appreciated
Have they tried a 3x10=0 brace??  (When your Dr. desribes it, it will be referred to as a 'three times ten equals zero brace)  You are in it three times a day, for 10 minutes at a time to get you to 0 degrees of flexion (or full extension).
I have the Elite Seat which sounds like the brace you mentioned.  However, the pain is so bad I am not able to tighten the straps enough to really do what the machine is supposed to do.  Tomorrow, 4/15,  I have surgery to "scope and manipulate"  They will scrape the underside of my "plastic" knee and try to straighten my leg while I am under general. This whole thing has been a nightmare, however, if put in perspective, I hope it won't kill me and at least they aren't cutting off pieces and parts.  Pray for me in the surgery.  Thanks for responding.  G
How are you? How did the surgery go? I must admit your last post made me laugh. I hope you are well!
I had Manipulation last Tuesday. It's now Monday. No therapy, but a lot of pain. Pretty much where I left off, really. Can hardly walk, can't do much- is this my life now? Depression is setting in and I can't cope with the damned (sorry) pain-killers. They DO NOTHING but irritate and make me psycho. I haven't heard from the Dr.s or Physical Therapists, as of yet. I'm not liking this knee so far and I WILL suffer and not do surgery if my other knee goes. nor will I live my life this way. Right now- I'm just hanging waiting...
Hey jme!

We have spoken in the past. Please don't get too depressed, manipulations are always painful/ swollen. It will pass! My best advice is to attain the ROM your surgeon is looking for to avoid any further manipulations. Hang in there! JD1963