Orthopedics Community
Knee pain, swelling after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Knee pain, swelling after surgery

Almost four months after surgery, I am still experiencing massive swelling and excruiating pain with inflammation. I was having a great recovery for the first ten days, then BAM!  My leg, knee and ankle swelled to gigantic proportions.   My doctor has said only that I have arthritis in my knee and I have to be patient.  On at least three occasions, I have been in tears in his office and asking what to do about it.  He still tells me be patient.  This is surely not normal.  I went to another doctor last week who sent in his PA to tell me that they "don't like to tread on another doctor's territory" and won't see me again, but the PA prescribed Prednisone 6 day dosage that seemed to give me some comfort while I was taking it.  The day after I completed the dosage, the pain and swelling was back in full force.  No one will see me without a referral because this certain doctor operated on me.  What am I to do?  I am so frustrated after four months of extreme pain, all I do is cry.  I've turned into a big crybaby and that is not me!  Help, somebody!  
Sorry about your condition.
Can you describe the surgery you had undergone and the reason for  it.
Probably it looks like arthritis as it was better with steroids.
But  too premature to comment on it.
Prior to the surgery, I was told that I have an old healed fracture of the knee and a torn meniscus.  He told me the arosthroscopy was a simple procedure that I would recover from quickly.    
After surgery, the surgeon told me that everything that could be torn was torn in my knee.  He never told me whether he repaired the meniscus or whether he removed it.  Unfortunately, he is a doctor who doesn't like for his patients to ask questions.  You commented that it was probably arthritis as it was better with steroids.  It was only slightly better while I was taking the prednisone, as soon as I finished the dosage, it returned to the same painful, swollen condition. I look forward to your response.
The knee joint complex has
    - Bones
    - Cartilage
    - Muscles
    - Ligaments
    - Tendons.
If any one of these structures are injured or damaged, then the person lands up in knee problems.
As you have posted that everything in there was torn apart as informed by your surgeon, it seems that you have not only injured menisci  but other ligaments also.

With this history, arthritis would not be first entity to be  considered. The badly traumatized knee has to be rehabilitated and this requires you to start physiotherapy.
But before this, if you can have another orthopedic surgeon's opinion would be highly beneficial.

Other option that can be foreseen with such a bad knee would be an knee replacement. To comment on such a surgery requires in depth analysis of your condition.

If I was in your position I would get the op-note from your doctor and get another opion go through your primary care doctor if you have too.  Try and go to a different hospital if that is possible for you.  Bring the op-note with you and see what they say with that.  Its hard to say what it could be not knowing exactly what was done.  The prednisone helped because it is an anti-inflamatory so the swelling went done and that would no doubt help with the pain.  
For now I would try and stay off it Ice it elevate.  Also they have compression stocking kinda like a thigh high stocking but it will put compression on both your ankle and knee and reduce the swelling.
Good luck with everything
Thanks for your advice.  I have been to a third doctor who is in another state and he recommends knee replacement, of which I am terrified.  My knee appears to be mal-formed now and my back problems are much worse because I have been compensating when I walk.  This doctor says we need to fix "what makes me walk funny" and that might greatly reduce the back pain.  He really talked to me and asked me several times if I had more questions.  My problem now is that I don't trust doctors any more.    I am staying off the knee, elevating and icing but I haven't tried the compression stocking yet.  I will check into that tomorrow.  A friend tells me she had a scope done with the same results I have and it took a year to heal.  Then she says, it was like it healed overnight.  Has anyone ever heard of this happening?  
I can not believe it!  Someone is also experiencing a similar situation to me.  One year ago I had a scope done on my right knee.  The MRI showed very little damage, but the pain and swelling were effecting me. Once the OS began the scope he found much damage to the knee cap and performed seven diffferent procedures including a lateral release.  Now, a year later I have severe swelling and pain.  My right kness is anywhere from 4-6 inches larger than my left because of the swelling.  I have seen the OS and he has given me 3 cortizone shots.  I explained they did not help.  He then suggested a series of Suppartz shots.  They may or may not work and will take about 4 months.  My back is also suffering as well as general everyday activities.  I have tried to see another OS, but he wants all of the records before he will see me, and this is almost impossible.  Any suggestions?
Hi Jennifer:  I got that response when I went to a second OS, he sent in his PA to tell me they don't like to tread on surgeon's toes and he wouldn't see me without a referral.  I think you can ask the second OS to request your records (with your signed authorization) for a second opinion.  I live in a small city and the local doctors protect each other.  That's why I went out of town to another state for another opinion.  The only reason I went out of state was simply because my friend lives there and got me a quick appointment, as well as giving the doctor detailed information about my problem.   I struggled with my pain for 4 months, and I kept telling the OS that something was not right.  My knee has bowed inward in addition to the swelling and pain.  I strongly recommend that you get another opinion.  There is simply no reason for you and I to be in constant pain.  I have already given up many activities that I cannot do any more.  Now I am struggling with the decision of whether to get a knee replacement!  Good luck to you and please keep touch so we can compare notes.  
Any medical Doctor that has a problem answering your questionsl if that is the case is nuts and needs to find work in the hotel/motel industry. You have decsribed conditions that require further investigation. Not drugs, not delays, an MRI and nothing less. Then dump the jerk taking your records with you. Grab the phone book - find a new Doc. Travel to his office  to make an appointment. It is hard to refuse a patient requesting help in peson. Real problems demand real solutions.

The doctor MUST give you all of your medical records. They may charge you a fee if you request copies but, you are allowed to take your orig. records. If your doctor has a problem this tell him you will fille a complaint with the State Medical Board, the AMA as well as that "New Lawyer" you are going to be seeing. Sounds like you found an ***. The profession is full of them. In most cases a doctor who is an *** is great at what he does.  I will put up with the ***, to a point. As long as the services are top notch.

I am serious about your getting help. You know you need it. I am also serious about the lawyer. Get a free opinion. Something is very wrong here. A Doctor is no better a person than you are. Stand your ground, make your demands, get the records (all of them - hospital records as well) and get on with it. If you cannot get into see a new Doc contact the AMA and request their help.
I have also been in severe pain with swelling in my left knee 4 months after arthroscopic surgery. I also have a large lump at the site were the scope entered my knee, when I ask the doctor that did the surgery about he said it should go away before I die. I thought this was a horrible thing to say because I was really worried about the lump. I have a hard time even getting to see the doctor and no one seem's concerned about the pain and swelling but me. I'm still taking pain pills for the pain and can't walk without a cane, the knees goes out on me when walking and has caused me to fall once and a lot of missed falls. I'm upset all the time and feel lost and I don't truth doctor's anymore I did try to get my surgical report and they want to charge me 35.00 dollars for one to two pages which I feel is to much. I am so depressed because of my knee, I want to return to work because the doctor's office is always messing up my disability form so I can't get paid on time. I am a nurse and what hospital will take me with a bad knee.I had the scope because of osteoarthritis of the knee with severe osteoarthritis of the patellofemoral joint and was hoping the surgery would buy me a few more years to work. This was a big mistake because I am in more pain now than before the surgery.
IM SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS YOUR HAVING,,I TO JUST POSTED A QUESTION ON HERE FOR HELP..I HAVE BBEN HAVING PAIN IN BOTH LEGS NOW FOR A YEAR..BEEN TO 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS,MRIS,XRAYS,ULTRASOUNDS,TONS OR MED,THERPY AND DID  HAVE A KNEE SCOPE DONE TOO..I DO ALSO HAVE LITTLE LUMPS IN WERE THE INCISIONS WERE ON MY KNEE.MY PROBLEMS IS THE PAIN IS BEHIND THE KNEES IN THE REAR UPPER CALF AREA..VERY PAINFUL,EVERYDAY ACTIVITIES ARE TOUGH FOR ME TOO..DO U HAVE HAVE PAIN WHEN BENDING YOUR LEGS BACK LIKE IF YOUR WERE DOING LEG EXTENSIONS??THATS WERE MY PAIN IS..LET ME KNOW
I understand what you are going through. It is very frustrating besides all the pain. I had a total knee replacement in early July and then had to have a manipulation in early October. The flexion is somewhat better extension not so much. But the pain and sweeling is much worse plus heat. Why? I am sorry I ever did this I think the pain and restrictions I had before were better at this point. It is all on me and my therapist at this point. Back to the doctor again tomorrow see what he says. Are we just the lucky ones?
I hope you get answers and are better soon. Their must be reasons for this. Good Luck!
Hopeful36
Nannie, your story is my story only I am six weeks post surgery; the pain is almost unbearable.  With the help of pain pills I can get to work; other than work I don't do anything.  The knee down to the angle are warm and very swollen.  I am totally beside myself.  Pls. tell me what was your outcome.  
Hi I read your post and was wondering if your knee got any better. I had scope surgery on my left knee in Nov 2009 exactly 8 weeks ago this coming Tues. and like you I am in more pain now than before the surgery. My knee swells when ever I am on it and there is a little thing behind my knee that hurts. My knee feels like it has a elastic band around it and my toes tingle. When I told the Dr. he said it takes time. Well my job is a standing job for 9hrs. a shift and this is just killing me. Did you get better and what did you take for the pain. They told me aleve and that has not helped
Hi all, I am 45 had a total knee replacement in 2/09.  After two weeks my knee cap dislocated 6 times.  Went into water therapy to strengthen the quads to help it from dislocating and went on Oxycotin in addition to Lortab.  Leg was swollen, painful, and didn't work.  May had a manipulation.  Things improved a little but did not reduce swelling, pain, or stability.  Feel down stairs in August as knee gave way.  Had steriod pack helped a little while taking them.  Then had series of three steriod cocktail shots into the knee joint.  Each time the found blood in the joint.  Had surgery again on Dec 21 2009to remove the synovial capsule as it was obvious it was being pinched in the joint and bleeding internally.  When they did the surgery they found that the synovial capsule was totally fibrotic. I had tons of scar tissue and adhesions.  They had to remove a lot of tissue.  Seven days after surgery had green discharge coming from incision.  They put me on antibiotics. Pain and swelling improved.  Discharge stopped.  Antibiotics ended then two days later had a two inch circular area that was swollen, painful, pink and hot to touch.  They have put me back on antibiotics and the pain improved within 2 days.  The don't feel that it is a true infection but an accumulation of blood that did not get absorbed and is acting like an infection.  Stop antibiotics tomorrow.  Hope that my body completes the healing process.  This time the dr ordered the CPM unit for home use and I have been in it 18 hours a day (yup sleep in it) at 120 degrees to maintain range of motion and minimize scar tissue formation.  I have been in therapy 4 days a week.  Lets hope this is it however my dr states that it is nothing that I have done just my bodies reaction to the trauma of surgery - genetic thing that they can not test for.  So if you have continued swelling, pain, warmth etc.  don't take it will get better with time.  Stay working with your dr to try different things.  No amont of pain meds or steriods would have fixed the fibrotic tissue in my knee.  Good luck to you all and stay searching for answers.  
It has been almost 6 months since my knee arthroscopic surgery and my left knee is larger than my right with a bulge as well.  I have iced, heated, elevated, used topicals and used some herbal products. I must say I can walk, but there are times when it is hard to walk. I just started taking Choropyll which is good for imflammation which has helped. I also tried a glass of tomato juice with 1/4 teaspoon each of tumeric and cayenne powder.  This really helped with the inflammation.  Note-Before using herbal products, you might want to consult a Nautropath or herbalist especially if you are other medications).I will be starting a holistic program (accupuncture, chiropractic, massage and detox and knee exercises).  I'm looking forward to this.  I have for a while lost confidence in the doctors and the lack of empathy towards patients that they have. Some of the answers are unreal that they give you, and yes, we're supposed to be patient after 4-6 months to a year is insane. I hope all of you find some solution besides the unheard of amounts of surgery.  I will let you all know how my program goes.
I had OS May 27,20l0, and now almost Nov 1, I am still having problems with my knee. I had a torn miniscus and below my knee is very swollen and under the knee to the right where ham string is. I have been at Physical Therapy going on 5 months now and still can't bend it and still having problems. It's very hard to  do anything because of the discomfort and pain and aches. Doctor just says it's soft tissue problems. But why, I don't understand what is taking so long to heal. Any ideas?
I had OS on March 16, 2010 and still to this day my right leg swells, causing me so much pain and my right leg goes numb. I have tried everything from pain pills to ice, heat, biking nothing has helped. Any ideas on what I should do? I thought the surgery was going to help, but i am in more pain now then I was prior to surgery
I was told I had a large medial meniscus tear and the doc was going to see if he could repair it...said 2-4 weeks off work. Well, he ended up doing 4 different procedures and tells me the MRI was wrong and I didn't have a tear in the medial side but in the lateral side (???). I am 3 weeks post op and still can barely bend my knee. I have a LARGE lump at the site where the scope went in and lots of swelling. My physical therapist is very concerned yet I can't seem to get any answers from my surgeon. I'm doing all of the text book things to help with swelling and pain....not much relief. He says maybe we'll try cortisone injections. - I thought I did surgery to fix the problem,,,now i have more problems. Any suggestions ?
I had surgery on my left leg due to a broken femur from a car hitting me outside a building. I have severe swelling, pain, pressure, numbness, in feet and toes along with throbbing stabbing pain. The pain med is not helping. I have done the ice , heat, elevation, and pt three times a week. It's so bad
I have trouble walking because I can't bend. It feels as if my skin wants to rip from the pressure any ideas???????
Hi I had my OS 9/20/10 - I had a cortizone shot in Oct and I just had the Synvisc shot Dec. 6. I thought once I got the Synvisc shot that my swelling would go away, but that has not been the case. My left knee is twice the size as my right knee and though I'm walking it's at a very slow pace. I ice it during work and try to stay off of it but it's impossible for me to stay off of it completel because of my long commute which I think maybe the problem. I'm also noticing now that my right knee is starting to have pain.. I really wish I had not gotten the surgery and just dealt with the pain a little while longer.
I live in Michigan...I was on 150 mcr of duragesic patches plus vicodine for for years for extream pain. After 8 years and 15 Dr's later. I have had Knee surgery on both knees  2 on the left knee and 3 on the right knee. With sort term pain relieve. Then I found This Dr which is the best I have ever been to. He treats you as if your his only patient. I had surgery on both knees with great results. If you would like his info please email me at ***@**** maybe he can help you as well.
I am also in excrutiating pain after my knee arthroscopic surgery done in August 2010.  Yesterday (1/13/11), I went for a doctor's visit with my primary physician who noticed my limp and asked how I was doing post-surgery.  Although I was there for other reasons she noticed my entire leg was swollen and sent me to the hospital for an urgent sonogram to rule out a blood clot.  In any case, the doctor who performed the surgery continues to tell me that I need to be patient, that I am a "slow" healer, that my back hurts and my calf is swollen and stiff because I am walking "funny".  I am a single mom of 3 and need too work. However, the pain is so intense I can barely get up in the morning.  My kids miss their mom and so do I.  I can frankly say that I am significantly worse than before the surgery.  If you have some answers please help!
I have had three knee surgerys in the last nine months and still can't function normally. all of the pain and swelling that everyone has describe is my situation to a T. My hands are tied because mines a workmans comp case and of course all their concerned about is getting me back to work and all i want is to be able to walk and be out of pain and take care of my daughter. I can only bend to a painful 90 degree and this is after three surgeries. I just had my third one on jan.11th 2011, however they made it sound like this one was gonna be the one to make it all better. the stiffness and swelling makes my knee fell so fake. I can't sleep i'm never out of pain. does anyone have any sugestions on the swelling like something i can take or drink for swelling to be reduced?
I have been suffering with a swollen knee for three months after arthroscopic knee surgery a year prior. Even with an NSAID in me (Mobic) the pain was terrible, radiating into my hip and all the way down into my ankle too. My wife called a local chiropractor and he recomended that I put Castor oil on the knee, then wrap it with an old flannel cloth, then an ace bandage (taught) over the flannel. Well, I tell you, it was like a miracle happened. I had a lot relief overnight and 2 days later the knee was down to it's normal size and 90% of the pain was gone. Since then, I've kept an ACE brace on the knee during the day while I'm at work and I'm still on the Mobic and I'm still doing so much better. Note: Just a few days ago I was feeling so well that I tried going off the Mobic. 2 1/2 days into this the knee swelling started to come back...so I quickly got back on the Mobic and did the Castor oil wrap again. Works great again! Be sure to freshen up the Castor oil on the knee occasionally, more frequent early on in the treatment while always using the same flannel cloth. My wife just used a piece of her old flannel knightgown. My new Ortho. Specialist believes I have a mechanical problem with my knee joint and is planning on fixing it through arthroscopy. I hope the Castor oil, flannel and ace bandage help you all. God bless...Bob  
I have been having a very similar issue with my knee as  Nannie39.  I injured my knee two years ago, which I never had resolved due to communication issues with the hospital, so I dealt with it and the pain eventually went away.  This past October, the knee that I had injured began to swell up and cause a great amount of pain whenever I rode my bike or walked too much, so I went into the Orthopedic surgeon.  He looked at the MRI's from when I originally injured my knee, and said that I had multiple hairline fractures in the knee cap and a very strained MCL.  I had another MRI, and although those had luckily healed, it looked like I now had a torn meniscus and still a strained MCL.  This was in OR where I go to school, and when I went home to CA for break I had surgery in December '10.  Turns out the meniscus was fine, but the MCL needed a little more repair, and my Plica tissue along with a lot of other scar tissue was removed.  Recovery was fine, and by the time I got back up to school I was able to walk around pretty well.  Late January however the incisions got infected, and I was treated for celluitis due to a stitch abscess.  It took two rounds of different antibiotics to fix it, and I had a heck of a time getting the surgeon up here who told me I needed surgery in the first place to see me again since he did not do the surgery himself.  Now it is almost March, and I still cannot bend my knee all of the way.  It gets incredibly stiff, especially after sitting for a while and when I first wake up in the morning it takes me a minute to be able to bend it at all.  I still have a lot of pain in it, almost more before the surgery (at least more consistent, sharp pain), and it swells up with too much activity. The incision sites are also pretty tender still, although closed up.  I am too scared to continue too harshly with my exercises because of the pain and the swelling. Does this sound like something that will eventually go away as my knee gets stronger, or something the doctor should look at again? I'm getting sick of constant pain, I thought my knee problems would be over by now!

It appears I am not the only one experiencing pain in the knee. I had surgery on my right knee on March 19th (Athroscopic surgery). In addition, the OS found my knee bone extremely deteriorating from arthritis and had to cut down the bone. I was told I would be up and about in in 48-72 hours. I was suffering so bad from pain, I was unable to return to work for 2 weeks and when I did, i still wasn't doing very good. I returned to the OS again and he did a third aspiration and took out two vials of fluid. I was given a shot of cortizone and a prescrpition for Vicadin which I told him do not work. I felt good for 4 days and then BAM it started again. Now the pain is worse than every before-worse than before the surgery. I returned to the OS the other day and he did a fourth aspiration and promised me this would help. He said some people take longer than others to heal. It is now over 2  1/2 months. I am unable to function. I cannot work, I can not walk at all, i can't get around the house because I have stairs and I can't climb. The OS gave me a leg brace to wear but that is not helping. I do not know what else to do. All I do is cry at night the pain is so bad. I wake up numerous times during the night becuase it hurts everytime I move. I am going for a second opinion next Monday but I did not tell the doctor I was coming in for a second opinion. I will tell him when i get there. What is he going to do, throw me out? Something has to be done. I can't go on living like this.  Any suggestions.

Bill
I am interested in hearing the results of your holistic approach as I am considering that as well.
I am just searching how many people actually have this problem  as friend of mine does.  I am an old fashion girl  and I believe in old cures.  My dad saved his eye by not listenning to doctors (who where gonne remove it)  and used garlic juice to kill the bacteria which was eating his eye.........and he did it.
I would recommend mix apple cider vinegar with good honey (half and half)  and have a spoon 3 of apple cider vinegar 3 times a day.  Also do a apple cider vinegar wrap 3 times a day :  boil water,  let it cool, mix in apple cider vinegar, put in cloth, sqeeze it out, wrap it on  your knee  then wrap plastic around it  and then towel.......  for about 20 minutes 3 times a day.
Also I read on Czech side that Silybum marianum- Milk thistle works:  mas the seat,  use 1 spoon to 150ml of water cook for 10 - 15 min. Let it cool. Put paste on cloth and wrap on the knee and then wrap with bandage,  not too tight.  Leave overnight  and by morning swellling should be gone.  
Let me know if you try it !
Funny, I had meniscus surgery 3mos. ago. All seemed fine except for slight pain when it would rain. I woke up this morning and my knee, calf and ankle are so swollen they're almost unrecognizable. I'm gonna make an appt. with the Ortho ASAP. Why this is happening 3mos later is beyond me. Although, I am in the middle of Hurricane Irene. I'm really wondering if that's causing this?
I am only 20 and since the age of 12 was suffering very bad with my right knee. i was in and out of the dotors and they said there was never anything the matter with it. i went back a few years ago and they said it was oss good shlatters diesea, which is apprently more common in boys from age 12. they told me i has to get physico done and it should sort it. i was never booked for an appointment for it so i decided to keep going back ( as you do when your in alot of bloody pain) i was reffered to a spealist called hinerkt, which told me i had torn my Meniscus cartiladge, and that he would not know the extent of the damage and whether he could fix it with out going in. so i signed the paperwork had the op and was told i was not alowed to walk on my leg for 6 weeks and had to wear a knee brace and was only allowed to do 90 degrees..... I am very nearly 6 weeks in after having my op now, and should hopefully be having the brace taken off and should be allowed to start trying to walk on my right knee with my crutches.. the only problem is when i lift my knee to starighten it, it makes a loud cracking noise and then the pain increase rapidy, ive been quiet lucky as its very rare i get pain from it but when i do my exercises i go from perfectly comfotable to in the worst pain possible.. i am very concerned as my knee is still very swollen and no matter what exercises i do to gain my muscles back in my leg it just dont want to gain any muscle and loose any of the swelling..... my knee is about 3 times the size of the other one after 6 weeks and i was told 7 to 15 days the swelling should have completely gone.. but what ever i do its not seeming to work..... im so confussed and i have a part time job which i am very very worried i will end up loosing :( please can anyone give me any answers :(
I've been reading all these stories about severe problems after knee arthroscopic surgery and am amazed at how many folks are terrified of total knee replacement surgery.  I'm a poster girl for that surgery and had wonderful results.  I had a total knee replacement in December (8 months ago) and yes, the first two weeks were not fun, but with good physical therapy I was back on the golf course, walking more blocks than I could walk in years.....after only seven weeks.  First, go to an orthopedic surgeon who's highly recommended by many acquaintances, who specializes in "knee replacement" surgery, & works with a hospital that has a whole staff of specialists in this field.  I went to Presbyterian Hospital in Albuquerque, where they have their own surgery wing, with well over a dozen specialists.  I had a great physical therapist who worked with me aggressively for a month, then I did specialized therapy on my own for about 3 months. I still do some knee-specific exercises, and I have absolutely no pain in my knee, and it's been that way for months.  I'm a 67-yr old woman, very active & athletic and have worked out all my life, so physical therapy was nothing new to me.  If one has never worked out much or isn't used to exercise, I'd expect their recovery would be much slower.  But physical therapy is a "mind set" and if you're determined to get painfree and back to being active you can do it!  My only regret is that I didn't have the surgery a few years sooner.  It was a God-send for me.  I just got tired of limping around, being in pain, not able to walk the golf course, my dog, and snow skiing was "iffy".  Those are all the things I love to do and am doing them again with no pain.  So, with a great doctor, good attitude & hard work, knee replacement is nothing to be afraid of.  
Your comments are an insipration and give hope to all of us who have knee problems.  I am 52 and a keen golfer and have had multiple surgeries on my right knee.  It is good to hear that one can continue to play golf and walk after knee replacement surgery.  Out of interest do you walk the golf course without a buggie - how far can you walk?
I just had my surgery 4wks ago but am on here because I feel exactly the same! I went back to work 6 days after surgery which may sound nuts but this hotel allows me to sit when possible. I have experienced the tingling numbness in my toes and when I rb my swollen knee it feels like a wave going back and forth on my knee cap. The fluid on my knee and ankle are driving me nuts and having to compensate w/ my other leg is causing pain in that knee and hip. I am wishing I never had surgery and can't deal w/ this much longer. I have a 6yr old so when I get home from work I am in so much pain that I can't do anything to entertain my daughter and enjoy my life and being a parent.
I or should I say we would love to know the name of the OS that treated you like a human being. my name is the same as my yaho account let me know or post it here. thank you very much
Almost six months after arosthroscopy surgery, I am still experiencing swelling and excruciating pain with inflammation. I was having a great recovery for the first one month, then BAM!  My leg, knee and ankle started hurting.

Prior to the surgery, I was told that I have an Ligaments tear in my right knee which can be taken care through arosthroscopy surgery only. Doctor told me the arosthroscopy was a simple procedure that I would recover from quickly. After surgery, the surgeon told me that everything went well but he never told me whether he repaired the ligament tear or whether he removed it.

I can frankly say that I am significantly worse than before the surgery.  If you have some answers please help!

I’m 36 years old 5 feet 11 inch with a good weight i.e. 77 Kg.
Yikes!  This blog is discouraging and helpful.  I just had surgery for my ACL and Meniscus 5 days ago.  I think what I learned from all the bloggers is that if you went through with the surgery then listen to your doctor and do all the P.T.  and elevate your leg as much as possible.  Don't even think about going back to work for at least 6 weeks.  And my doc said I couldn't play tennis again for 9 months.  Right now my knee is swollen like a tomato.  Today I get the rest of my staples out and post op instructions.  I might try some of the homeopathic methods for swelling described in this blog.  But I'm hoping patience is the key to a full recovery.//*-*\\
I had artroscopic surgery done on my left knee.Now its worser.The doc said that he did a lil smoothing out.But my knee hurts all the time.Its swolling and painful when i walk.I had the surgery done in April of this year.I fell after surgery and the doctor says not to worry:(
I had arthroscopic knee surgery on July 29th, 2011.  It is now November 7th.  Seems that the pain and swelling is getting worse with time instead of better.  I should have left it the way it was and not had the surgery.  I had tear in the cartilage where the femur bone connects in the knee that was flapping off and getting stuck in the join causing pain.  It was removed and smoothed out and I though it will feel better, now it's worse.  I'm going to a new doctor tomorrow for a second opinion and see what he has to say.  My surgeon wants to start Supartz injections toward the end of the month.  I want to know what is wrong inside first and what is causing so much pain and worse pain then before the surgery???  Very frustrating!  I've been doing PT for almost three months religiously.  I'm running out of patience.  Does it really have to get worse before it gets better?
I had the Meniscus repaired 3 years ago, both knees. I had been suffering for 4 years, from inflammation and trauma, it is a long complicated story, but most of my problem was due to having eaten mussels, after which my body had a very violent reaction, and the inflammation went to the knees and would not go away.
It took me years to get answers. When the knees were almost back to normal 3 years ago, I had the surgery; back to square one. It has taken acupuncture, and a series of homeopathic remedies,a change in diet, and taking MSM+ Glucosamine to get the inflammation to come down to a manageable level.
I would suggest to all who write in here to first, take all foods out of your diet that can cause inflammation: alcohol of any kind and wheat products, - I am sensitive to these and coffee as well. Try eating vegetables, no sugar, white meat and fish for at least a couple of weeks. I eat oatmeal and whole grains in place of wheat products and tons of vegetables when I do my yearly 6 weeks "body clean up' and this helps a lot. I also use a fair amount of garlic and red pepper as blood cleansers. I have had good results with "eating clay" which absorbs toxins (geophagy) see Eating Dirt: It Might Be Good for You - ABC News LINK
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDYQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2FHealth%2FDiet%2Fstory%3Fid%3D1167623%26page%3D1&ei=CE--TqbvDo-KhQfnxvGmBA&usg=AFQjCNGq2zxWZff80usz9H_TLTkQOJx1-w&sig2=BM0xvw7xYovGMPeKprG_Ew
As clay causes constipation follow this guidline: mix a level teaspoon with water, in a glass using only a wooden spoon or chopstick (metal reacts with the clay) stir vigorously; leave over night. Stir in the morning, wait 2 minutes, drink only the water. Do this for 7 days increasing the amount of clay that you take in each day. If you have problems with constipation, just drink the liquid. You can also combat the constipation with "dieters tea" pleasant and good for you as well. I strongly believe that you have to clean out your system (gently) to aid in getting over the inflammation. I also ingest for periods of time, Diatomaceous Earth, which provides a source of minerals and is cleansing. The jury may be out on this, but 100's of people over centuries, have used it with good results.
There is a lot of information on the web, try starting with
http://www.earthworkshealth.com/human-use.php

Apply natural external remedies as suggested in entries above. Many substances are anti inflammatiory, external use of clay is one of them. Use ice. Be patient and persevere. You might also try a course of antibiotics in case the inflammation is caused by bacteria. I also did this,  by accident as I had to take antibiotics for something else.  It is a complex matter with a complex remedy, I don't believe that any one thing will "cure" this condition, and you have to persevere, attacking the inflammation on all levels, and a strong anti inflammatory for a period of time might also be the answer. I used all of the above, and now find that with consistent use of MSM+Glucosamine (I get it cheap at Costco) I am "managing" the situation and am back to walking normally and some very limited jogging to build my very weak muscles back up.  No one doctor gave me a pat answer, they just helped me along the way. Orthopedic doctors don't have a clue about inflammation, if any thing, go to an internist who deals with infections, the cause may be an infection deep inside. I have used so called "alternative medicine for 35 years with very good results, as I live most of the time in Europe where we have very serious and good homeopaths and acupuncture. I wish you all luck, and the strength to persevere and don't believe what any one doctor tells you is sacrosanct! If you want to be healthy, you have to be your own doctor, no one knows your body like you do.
wow I'm a 50 yr old male -  6'4" 230 lbs...  very active & in shape... had a bad knee/ torn meniscus from years of basketball & softball abuse....  went through the entire routine the rest of you did.... dr appt, x-ray, MRI etc....   the hot-shot dr in the area told me after 6-8 weeks i would be back on the ball court with all the young dudes just like the old days......    been 12 weeks now and I'm singin the same song as the rest of you.....   I am a stud in the rehab clinic as far as bicycle, stair master, hamstring curls, leg press etc...   but after 2 hrs of raking leaves I can barely walk.  I have a desk job and after 2 hrs of sitting in typical posture my knee totally freezes and I limp like the day after surgery.... had to quit taking motrin 800 because it tore up my stomach, knee swelling won't go away... totally frustrated!!!  Dr gave me a shot of cortisone/lubricant/some **** - no help....   I do know that I have an area of bare bone under my knee cap but the bottom line is this: I am worse now than before surgery.... my dr has an excellent reputation (top dog in town - period) but I feel like i am a victim of the system....   he did whatever the insurance company allowed him to do to perform the surgery and pocket a few $$$grand....and now i am flirting with knee replacement surgery that will allow him to pocket however many more $$$$ thousands.  I feel like a victim.... I am starting to think my dr knew my knee was fubar but worked the system (more to his benefit than mine....) after reading these threads i'm neck deep in conspiracy theory... thank you everyone for your honesty.....
I have been given the speech about expecting too much from my surgeon and my physical therapist.  I wish I had a video tape of my pre surgery appointment. He clearly presented the surgery as a breeze with quick recovery.  Post op appointment he wants to talk about another surgery. He doesn't want to talk about my hip pain, he wants to smooth talk me about another surgery that has a 12 month recovery!  I am doing fairly well at 8 weeks compared to others here, but I am not convinced this surgery will end up being something I'm glad I did.  I did not realize that he was both a salesman and a doctor.  This is so obvious that they are even harassing me to pay my bill quickly.

Since my doc won't discuss my hip and back pain, I am switching to another physical therapist who can/will address how this knee surgery affected my back.  After 4 weeks of squats and other serious weight bearing I am in a lot of back pain a day after therapy.  Each week is a roller coaster of feeling good, going to therapy and then being in pain for a few days.  One week without therapy and i feel better than ever.

I think I would be much less upset if I felt like my doctor had my best interests in mind. So far this new therapist seems to be on my side so I have new hope.
Had knee arthoscopy at the end of June and six weeks later a hemi-knee replacement.  Uppper thigh, knee and foot swell after being on leg for less than 2 hrs.  At times, I feel a popping and always feel the crunching.  In tears standing for very long or sitting.  Very frustrated because I should have been back to work a month ago.  My job is very strenuous and I can not imagine doing it for an hour a day, let alone eight at this point.  Dr. listens, but just keeps me on therapy and pain meds.  No bone scan or mri have been done on this knee.  Very warm to touch.
I'm just glad to see that I am not the only one. It's been 8 months, 2 surgeries with different doctors and the swelling and pain is unbearable. Steroids, meds, cortisone; nothing seems to help. For those looking for a second opinion, the keyword not to use is "second opinion". I called the new ortho the first time stating it was a second opinion and was turned away; luckily I did not provide my info. I called a few days later and stated I was having knee pain and had an appointment the following week, and explained to the doc everything. He was patient, is still being patient and trying to find a solution. Unfortunately, my first surgeon performed a lateral release which is not recommended and shouldn't have done, but at the time I didn't know and was already in the process. I guess patience and persistence is the key. I'm even seeing a neurologist and adding on a psychologist. It's a nightmare! Best of luck to you all and finding a solution.
OMG reading all these posts is terrible all you suffering people and yes I am one of them.  Been some 5 months after knee surgery and its the worse its ever been.  Added to my problems is that I have Fibromyalgia so my whole body is wracked with pain.  If I was an animal they would have put me down!  I am facing total knee replacement but tremble at the thought of further surgery with my added condition.  Am taking a whole heap of natural stuff that my homeopath recommended to including fish oil, vit e, inner health plus, acai berry, eating mainly all fresh fruit and vegs, fish and chicken and pea protein powder.  I take panadol osteo and when really desperate an oxy to help the pain plus anti inflames.  There is not much pain coverage inbetween the panadol and hard core addictive narcotics - can anyone suggest good pain coverage without that stuff messing with your head? Sometimes my pain is a constant 7/8. I use meditation a lot and when I get really bad take to me bed its sometimes the only source of relief laying in the dark with a heat bag.   I see a councellor, I cant work anymore, can't walk very far and if i stand on my legs longer than 1 hr my knee swells dreadfully. The worse thing for me is that I loved to dance and now it seems my wings have been clipped.   I am only 50 and have lead such an active life - endurance horse riding wore my knee out from hours in the saddle.  My gut is to mix eastern with western medicine - find a 'middle ground' as there is no one answer.  Awesome to share our stories as it makes one feel less alone in the suffering.
I had a similar experience to most of you - first of all I am sooo sorry it is so frusterating and scary experience I have had- I did the same and tried to find another dr but kept getting the run around from them almost as if they were covering for their fellow dr... Long story short after months of horrific pain lots of tears and being told from numerous OS and physical therapists that my knee is structurally screwed up- I found Dr. Vern Cooley in park city Ut. He is absolutely amazing! He specializes in knees only (which is huge) and he is so kind and explains Exactaly what is going on and what the options are- he did a second simple surgery on me (after"specialists" in LA wanted to cut it all the way open and possibly replace it) and found the original tear was still there along with a few other issues caused by the first sergery (surgery)... Just give him a chance I promise you will not regret it- he has seen and fixed many friends and family members since- just did a scope on my mom yesterday , same one I originally had and she is literally walking around pain free- she had surgery 24 hours ago and has not had one pain pill since leaving the hospital... Crazy I know and maybe not a "normal" thing but I have even more trust in him now than I did before- just remember the pain is real it's not in your head and it wasn't there before you trusted someone to go in to fix it- don't give up and don't give in to these terrible dr's who don't want to be bothered with a mistake they made ! Take your health into your own hands and don't give up until you get answers and relief!!
hiya i had scope surgery to drain bakers cyst n shave meniscus and repair that had 2 tears in ,on 5th march 2012, i was told it was succesful ,im on pain meds codeine ,cant sleep at nights ,longest i sleep for is 2h a time ,pain is unbearable ,it feels like something is wedged in front of my knee cap ,i cant walk far ,i have young children ,i see no way out ,,my local doctor thinks cyst has come back n i need more shaving of meniscus ,i see my consultant this tues ,my doctor has told me to demand another scan .i wil let you knw the outcome tuesday.
hi im going through something similar had surgery on my left knee  seems  to be worse now i wear a brace alot it still swells and throbbs if i try to do alot i limp if the temp drop a few degress in the house while im sitting on the couch and starts swelling and throbbing in the car if its alittle chilly out i haft to ride with the heat right on the floor got any ideas
I had athroscopic surgery on March 9th of this year stemming from an accidental injury on November 29th of 2011.  The first orthopedic surgeon I saw determined that I had completely dislocated my left knee cap, torn my ACL, torn my MCL, fractured my left ankle, and severely sprained my right knee and right ankle.  The ER sent me home with crutches and an immobilizer and said I had "probably torn some ligaments."

The first surgeon wanted to treat my injuries coservatively through bracing and physical therapy.  The crutches were out of the question because both of my knees and ankles were injured.  My parents ended up renting a wheelchair and ramps.  I had to move home with them because they live in a ranch and I could do steps in my condo.  It's not handicap accessible.

After 3 months it became apparent that my knee was still badly dislocated.  The doctor wanted to wait until the swelling had gone down before he sent me for an MRI.  I had an MRI on February 9th, which confirmed the doctor's suspicions.  He said it was the worst knee he had seen in 31 years of practice.  Because he was retiring soon, he rederred me to one of his colleagues for surgery.  

I had surgery March 9th of this year.  I was kept in the hospital overnight because the surgery was difficult  (they had to us a donor ligament and 2 screws to keep the knee cap in place after a failed lateral release.  The had to shave the bone on my knee cap to make room for it).  I also reacted badly to the anesthesia.

I did five months of traditional physical therapy. They released me because it was no longer considered medically necessary because I had full range of motion.  But I still had crippling pain (6-7 daily on a scale of 10) and stiffness. And Instill hadn't met my goal of returning to work.

I was in a wheelchair for five months and had to use a walker for another 3 months.  I am now using a cane.  My surgeon says that at this point my pain was most likely due to arthritis and not the surgery, even though I've had the same type of pain since the surgery.

He recommended that I get 3 Euflexxa injections, which were supposed to help with pain and inflammation.  I'm done with the injections and they haven't touched the pain. I also had one cortisone injection, which didn't help much.  He then wanted me to do a work hardening program.

I researched work hardening programs, and could only find one that would take my insurance.  Most of them only deal with workmen's comp or auto insurance.  I've been doing that for a month now.

I'm still using a cane, and my employer won't allow me to return to work with a cane.  I've been out for almost a year now, and I'm scared they won't hold my job beyond a year.  I applied for SSDI in August, and it can take up to six months to find out if you get approved or not.  

So in spite of all the rehab, my pain level is still a 6-7 daily.  I still need a cane.  I seriously question if I'll be able to return at all, because I have to be on my feet for 8 hours a day.  I can't do a lot of major functions of my job.  I just wonder if I will ever recover at this long.

thank you for posting this! i am giving this a try! I had surgery three months ago to repair torn meniscus and have been in pain since. Still can't walk without a walker, and only a few steps alot of days. my knee is still very swollen and stiff. It feels like a wooden leg. I have had the "three month" kne injection two weeks after surgery, and also the series of three injections within the last month. Still no results. I go back to the same doctor in two days, and something's got to be done, or I'm going to see someone else. God bless you too!
To You and to Many of  the personal blogs I have read,
As an RN and a Patient I can empathize with your pain. For 6+ years I have had  continuous pain of my "knee-replacement knee" ~ Total of 4 surgeries and a possible 5th.
#1 > Partial right knee replacement in 9/2006
> 6mo later, in 3/2007 due to failure, I needed a #2 >Total Rt Knee Replm.

Due to acute/chronic knee pain > I sought a 2nd opinion with a highly recommended Knee Ortho Specialist from Sinai Hospital in Baltimore, MD  By physical exam he said I needed a Revision b/ c spacer was too small.
#3 surgery >Revision of Right Knee!.  After months of post-op PT and hoping to finally have Pain Relief....the same sharp knee pain Persisted!!

I consulted w/ my Physical Therapist to determine if more PT would relieve my pain > i had 3 months of PT without any pain relief. I returned to Specialist at Sinai Hospital b/c of increasing, sharp nerve-like pain. His diagnosis for my continuous pain was a Neuroma in knee area.  
#4 surgery > Removal of 3 nerves w/ neuroma.  Finally, hoping for pain relief >"Not" and so discouraged!

Along w/ Fibromyalgia, which was diagnosed years ago, and my knee pain,
I have been seeing a Pain Specialist for three years.  i have been treated for 3 herniated discs and bilateral hip pain. I have had many procedures for this issue.

(I was hoping that I should be able to condense my blog, but it seems somewhat therapeutic to mentally-verbalized all the pain I have had now for almost 7 yrs).

Recently, it was recommended by Pain Specialist that I have a Trial of Cortisone Injections for this knee pain. In retrospect, after 2nd cortisone injection in this knee, I realized that the increased pain & swelling started in mid-Oct. First Inj was mid-Sept and the 2nd Cortisone Inj was Oct 8th!  

(Before these Steroid Injections, it was confirmed by office that they "did not use the lab" that have recently had life-threatening infections from Steriods Injections)  So I proceeded...

SINCE MY 2nd CORTISONE INJ IN EARLY OCTOBER, I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING WORSENING PAIN AND SWELLING > so much pain that I have been needing to use a walker all the time :(

Early Dec I consulted w/ a Johns Hopkins Ortho Specialist.  He ordered a. BONE SCAN OF RT KNEE  to rule out loose prosthesis > done 12/26/12.  He also ordered an INDIUM WBC SCAN to rule out an infection > done on
Jan 3. I received both reports (per my Request) from the hospital where I had both scans done. It states : Probable Infection.

My Appt with Johns Hopkins Specialist is this Thurs Jan 10th
According to Indium Scan > I have an Infection.  Not sure what Rx will be??I I have been googling a lot & have found this blog site to be very helpful in allowing me to tell my story and...HOPE THAT MY SITUATION MAY BE HELPFUL TO YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE.

I will post after my Dr Appt in Re:what the follow-up treatment or possible surgery is needed.
Hi I Had a total knee replacement four years ago. And I keep having alittle pain but I could always take ibu an sora keep the swelling an inflammation. My knee was still slightly bigger then the other one.  I had blood work done three Weeks ago an my doctor told me my liver enzyms were really high an my cholesterol was 319 any way I have to get my liver enzymes down an one of the things she told me was no ibu no over the counter pain meds at all  so what the heck do I do for the pain now, I  have not taken anything for pain in three Weeks. I worked last night when I went to go home it was all I could do to get my knee bend to get it in the car. My knee is swollen the size od a grape friut  What do I do
hey i was just wondering if you found anything out i had a meniscus surgery over a year ago my knee has hurt worse then the injury the pain and swelling has not gone away  if i go outside when its cold my knee swells so bad i start limping again and im in so much pain i gotta put the heat right back on it i can only be outside for 2 mins when its cold out do have the same problems have u found anything out yet
hey just wondering how you made out with your knee i walked like that for 8 months after my surgery infact i didnt think i would ever walk right again untill i got pissed one night cranked my knee hard around to the left and something went back in to place my back hasnt gone out sense the swelling went down and now the only time i have a problem is when its cold out my knee swells and i start limping again im working on getting second opion
I think you should keep looking for a doctor.I don't know what State you live in but if there is a city look there or the next state over,don't give up,sounds like you may need the knee replaced,but not by your current doctor.Doctors don't like fixing another doctors mess but there are doctors out there that will.i will pray for you to find one
Hi,I had tkr and it was a disaster.first I had arthroscopic,and when the doc came to the recovery room he said,it's not gunna work you have stage 4 arthrites you will need to get a total knee,so 6months later had a specialist do it,did everything right aggressive therapy I went 5days a week was there for 3hours a day,three months later had manipulation under anthestesia.well 9months later due to excessive scar tissue I had a revision,then10months later another revision the scar tissue loosened my knee up.so then 1year later I had a nerve release and all this time in severe pain and now still in crazy pain,he's testing me for metal allergys (allergies),so you are very lucky to have a smooth tkr.i am happy for you I wouldn't. Want anyone to go thru this
I had bilateral knee surgery to repair torn miniscus and this was almost two yreas ago! My knees are still painful and swell, not to mention my calves hurt so bad when I stand for very long. I have given up on ever getting any help. My surgeon passed away a couple of weeks ago.
Fall #1:  Hit right Iliac Crest and low hip.  Syptoms (symptoms), burning, stabbing, throbbing pain at iliac crest, burning at low hip, swelling and sharp stabbing pains in lower left quad pelvic area.  Feels like I am perforated in my lower intestines or bladder.  Light bladder incontinence occured not long after fall.  X-Rays and MRI showed no fractures.  MRI's with dye showed a little bursitis.  Hip surgeon says it is not my hip but my spine and spinal surgeon says it is not my shpine that it is my hip.  Third opinion said he was upset with other two Drs because it is both my hip and spine.  Nothing done.  7 months later PC finally tried injections in all areas without any relieft.  Went and had two Nerve conductivity test that were pretty much negative.  Can't drive for a 16 months, can't make bed, can barely cook and wash clothes.  I was on crutches for a year and the day I got off them I had fall #2.  Over 9 months after first fall I have them test me for a Labral Tear - waht an ordeal it took 3 weeks of phone calls back and forth with Imaging department to get all my special needs met, and when the day came the Dr said he knew nothing of my special needs and the dye test was a horrific experience due to their neglect.  I referred myself to an Orto pedic surgeon who only focused on the test that said I had a little bursitis.  His suggestion was injections.  i told him I have a history of a high tolerance to lidocaine and needed a stronger strength and if he needed to talk to my PC and prior surgeons for other matters that was fine.  The injections were unbearable, he only used 1% lidocaine and in the past I need 2-4% and extra or I could feel them cutting into my flesh.  At 16 months I found the North Penn Hernia Institute online and aske dmy PC to test me for that and guess what - I have a hernia and who know that all the other symptoms I have match the referred pain list.  Too afraid to have surgery, but am now having more pain as food travels down the desccending colon onthe side of my Inguinal hernia.  It is unacceptable with all those specialist that I was the one who correctly diagnosed my own condition after all that time.

Fall #2:  1 year and 4 days after first fall.  Injured right knee, right shoulder and left sternoclavicular joint.  My leg immediately swelled and was horribly bruised from knee to toes.  A trip to ER and multiple x-rays were taken at least nine of them.  Less than 10 minutes later I am told everything is fine I am just bruised.  I could hardly make it out the door on my own power, nobody even offered a wheel chair.  My PC was to afraid to touch my knee for 4 months.  Chiropracter used ultrasound and electrotherapy and cold laser therapy and later started Acupuncture.  I went back to the same Orthopedic surgeon who said my xrays show no breaks or fractures and he suggested an injection - I refused due the low dose of lidocaine, then he spoke to me like I have no idea what the difference is between lidocaine and the cortisone and said he could just use water!  Then he said I need to exercise the knee after I told him I can't even kneel down and put pressure on it.  Now I wonder if I shoudl ask my PC for an MRI to rule out tears or other injuries to the meniscus, Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL),  intra-articular cartilage / bone (fracture), Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL), Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL), quadriceps tendon or patellar tendon; since I still have swelling from 4 inches above the knee clear down to 6-8" below the knee.  I am a mess and at 50+ years, I feel my life is over for I have to quality of life.  I am not suicidal, but if God picked my number out of the jar I wouldn't put up a fight.
Hi i have 9 arthroscopys on each knee i am an ex rugby player my last 2 opps have left me in so much pain i had my right done & i am waiting for an acl reconstruction & my left knee i had meniscus's repair & have grade 3 ware & tare this was 6 weeks ago & i am still limping my knee is swollen & due to my right knee been bad i cannot walk properly. I have tried pain killers physio & my surgeon is going to drain my knee & give a steroid injections. I am concerned because in the past i have played rugby 6 week's after an opp i am now feeling depressed & cannot sleep any ideas please?
I had a miniscus tear repaired nine days ago and was doing great. I noticed yesterday i have swelling from my knee down through my calf. Went back to surgeon and was sent directly to get ultra sound to rule out a blood clot. BE CAREFUL WITH MOBIC !  I 've been taking it for about 6 years for a shoulder injury as it was the only thing that really worked. Even better than the narcotics. MOBIC is really hard on your kidneys and can cause kidney failure. I'm seeing a specialist now to see why my kidneys are working 35% of what they should be. First thing he said was to quit taking Mobic which I had heard before but ignored because it worked so well. I still am still at a loss as to what to do about the pain with my knee...but no MOBIC for me
hi years ago I had torn meniscus in my right knee it stayed swollen for a long time I was so upset and it. then I met a boy that came to fix my well. he told me that it would take a year before my knee would be like before. I did not want to believe him. but to the day it was a year before the swelling stopped and my knee was normal. The Chinese doctors say every injury takes a complete year to heal maybe there is something to that. Don't fret just be patient it did do well later. I just had surgery on my left knee now just a week ago my toes are turning black on that foot scared me but I called the nurse she said I went back to work too soon to keep it elevated and keep ice on it so I am trying to learn. wish you good luck Tim  oh p.s, maybe also it depends on how much damage was with your knee he took out all my meniscus and put in scar tissue to give me a cushion.
I had knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus & clean out the arthritis.  It has been four months and for the last three weeks it has been swollen and now is also painful & warm to the touch not just in the surgical site but also the back of the knee.  I am assuming it is infected inside but since today is Christmas 2013 I will have to wait for a doctors' opinion.  In the past I have used compression stockings (and still do when the knee swells) with considerable success.  Now however there is definitely something more going on.  Also, acupuncture has been a great help in the healing stages right after the surgery but I failed to keep it up.  Probably that is why this has happened...should have listened to my gut rather than worrying about the expense of $67.00 per treatment.  Remember to post your experiences with each of those doctors who turned you away and especially with the one who is "blowing you off" on the internet to forewarn unwary patients.  You have the legal right to request all medical records, x-rays, diagnostic tests and opinions be sent directly to you so that you can take them anywhere you want.  No medical person or facility can deny you that right.  Many attorneys also can help without charging, especially if they see a possible lawsuit they can win and you may need the money to get better treatment..  There's no reason for arrogant or incompetent doctors to continue to treat patients without expecting a backlash.  Good luck!
Hi I would buy a inversion table and lay on it upside down as long as  you can stand it everyday. this will help your back and relieve pressure on your knee some too. it also allows healing to the back and joints.. cant hurt to try it.. Tim
I am so sorry for your pain.  I, too, have sharp pain ever since my surgery.  I had TKR in November, 2013.  I had lived with a torn ACL for over 40 years and had little trouble.  Then  the arthritis got so bad I decided to have the panacea.  It has not been so for me.  My PT was great - so good in fact that my surgeon stopped my prescription after 6 weeks (Medicare only gives so many hours, don't  you know).  It was better for a while, but now it is constant pain.
Rising and sitting are so difficult.  Getting into and out of any car that is low to the ground is almost impossible.  I have started trying to ride my stationary bike for exercise since I have gained weight since the surgery.  It just seems to make my pain worse.  
I will not go back to surgeon because he seems to be more interested in the surgery than the patient.  I do not want to have another surgery.  I take a rollator with me most places.  I know I can sit comfortably and get up easily from it.  I would NEVER have had this surgery if I had known about this result.
My question:  How are infections diagnosed?  Wouldn't my GP be able to do so by a blood test or are MRI's necessary?
I recently had knee surgery as well, and have more pain now than before. My doctor tells me to just take IB profen where I would like to cut the knee off Im in so much pain every time I take a step it kills me and Im starting to walk funny. He did a right knee arthoscopic medial and lateal meniscus debridement, rightknee artho plica excision, right knee medial femorial and condyle chondroplasty.  They wouldnt operate till I tore everything in my knee. Im very upset trying to work and everytime I get up which is all day Im in pain.  What do I do?
I had arthroscopic surgery and lateral release on both knees in 1986 and 1989.  It took a year for each to heal, and another year to become dependable.  There was swelling and pain, and the surgery knee would buckle without warning.  Never actually fell, tho many times came very close.  All this did pass and both knees became 100%.  Then in 2009 started having pain below left kneecap.  Worked with exercise, chiropractors, and injections, all to no avail.  In spring of 2013, ex-rays showed hips and knees were arthritic, and pretty much bone on bone. Finally had total left knee replacement on 9-10-13.  After surgery it was very painful to extend leg straight out into thin air.  Used a CPM machine and got the knee bending to 95%.  Then something happened on 10-5-13.  Got a terrible sore throat, and was given Augmentin, which I think I was allergic to.  The entire surgery leg began to swell and become painful.  By January 2014, there was no improvement.  Between then and now, have gone to MD, ortho surgeon, back surgeon, chiropractor, neurologist, rheumatologist, vascular doctor, infectious diseases, all several times, and all without success.  Some doctors are suspicious of Lupus and/or Lymes, or even Myositis.  Have had many MRI's, with contrast and without, ex-rays, ct scans, ultrasounds, thyroid biopsy, and blood draws.  Blood tests are normal except for elevated ANA (antinuclear antibodies) and elevated sedentation rate.  I am told these indicate an infection, therefore, most surgeons do not want to operate.  Recently a laser back surgeon looked at some of my reports.  He states that my back at L2/3 and L4/5 show a herniated disk and a bulging disk.  He stated that my symptoms of pain and discomfort correlate with back problems in these areas.  Am waiting for him to collect all my numerous medical records to be certain if my problems are actually back related.  My current symptoms are extreme heaviness and weakness in both legs, tho its more pronounced in the knee replacement leg.  Have a lot of swelling in both legs from knee to ankle.  The only pain relief comes from sitting in a chair, in a Backjoy, and pressing feet to the floor. Unable to sit very long like this since it increases fluid retention and swelling.  Unable to sleep more than 3 hours at a time, since the pain wakes me.  Have to get up and sit in desk chair, with feet pressed to floor to obtain relief.  Have used two different water pills, tho they seem to make legs hurt more.  Have also tried Predisone, without much success.  Also have pain creams, Arnica, Gaba Pectin, and Canabis that give very short term mild relief.  Since I don't medicate well, I mostly use ibuprofen for pain.  Compression stockings are somewhat helpful for fluid retention and swelling.  Rising from a chair, getting in and out of a car, or even in and out of bed are major problems.  And the more I walk, the more the pain and swelling increase.  Am using a walker all the time now, putting 80% to 90% of my body weight on walker.  For longer distances need a wheelchair.  Should anyone here have elevated ANA and sed rate, and found a solution as to why, please contact me.  The laser back surgeon feels the elevated ANA and sed rate may be due to an allergy to the knee prosthetic..this would mean removal.  Like all of you, I am very frustrated.  I just want to be able to do routine activies like clean my house, get my groceries, and walk my doggie.  Any suggestions would be most greatly appreciated.