Orthopedics Community
Leg Trauma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Leg Trauma

I had an impact trauma to my left lower leg about 2 weeks ago. My leg fell through a step and my body went forward causing a large dent in my leg. The impact point is right below and outside or my shin bone. The dent has some what gone away but my ankle is swelled up and you can feel fluid around the area. People have said that if i can walk on it I didn't break any bones or tear a tendon. There is still a good size lump there and like I said my ankle is still swollen. It doesn't really hurt to walk on it, but the area is sensitive to touch. Any help???
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Leave what people say, you have to have proof supporting the  facts.
Go for an X-ray and assess the damage.
If there is no damage with bone it is always good for you as 2 weeks passed by.
If it is just a ligament tear, tendon pull then it will be alright with rest and bandaging your lower leg/ankle.
Take pain killers and anti inflammation drugs. Consult an orthopaedician for further course of action
Take care!
It does not hurt to walk or run on it, and my ankle swelling is  almost gone. How long can a swollen/bruised muscle last? I still have a 4 inch long lump raised about 1/4 off the lower outside part of my leg next to my shin. I really don't want to have to go to the Dr. if I don't have to, just curious if it is abnormal for a muscle/tendon to stay swollen for that long, been exactly 2 weeks today.
Doc,
Last week I was working on a roof and stepped on a rotten board. It broke and I fell through the roof.  I hit my left shin on a 2x4 board as I was falling.  Immediately, my shin swole up.  It looked like half a tennis ball under my skin.  It also broke the skin and has since scabbed over.  About 6 hours after the injury, the swelling went down and seemed back to normal.  There was really no pain.  Well, two days later, the swelling came back again.  It looks like a huge blister about 4 inches in diameter.  There is no pain and I run 3 or 4 times a week.  It just looks like there is a huge fluid build up in it.  What do you think the problem may be?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I would advice you not to aggravate anything by running and getting aggressive. Take your time, it takes a good 6-8 weeks for your bruised muscle/tendon as healing takes time. With rest it will be fine but you know it is difficult to give muscle rest as it contracts and relaxes with movements. You try to take your time off and slowly build your energy and the inflammation will decrease and you will be fine.

I think by this time you are fine.

Take care!
i fell and my shin hit a table pretty hard.  i have a dent in my shin.  its been 4 days since the accident and i still am EXTREmELY sore and i have a dent.  is this dent going to be permanent?
I've had the same extremely hard knot on my shin for a month now, I fell in a ditch while running and hit my shin on a short wall of cement bricks pretty hard, I couldn't walk for two days, but now I'm perfectly fine, minus the fact that I'm really worried about this knot. The skin covering it is starting to scale up and die and is really shiny, should I be worried