Orthopedics Community
Microfracture and Lateral release Can this happen from 1 incident?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I was injured on the job transferring a pt that twisted and started to fall. I twisted my knee and I heard a pop. Through months of physical therapy and not getting any better and MRI showed just that my knee cap was off to one side, that didn't explain the pain in the medial part of my knee. So my Orthopedic did a scope and found that I had a chunk of cartilage missing and did a microfacture. Also did a lateral release to put my knee cap back in place. My question is can the cartilage and the knee cap be from that one injury? I never had problems with my knee prior! Workers Comp is saying that it is a genetic defect and I was born with this.
Hello and Welcome to the MedHelp Orthopedic Community!

Well, don't drag me into court over this as I am only trying to give you my personal opinion! You realize you should always consult your physician for a diagnosis/ treatment plan. That being said,  Worker's Comp (in this situation) is full of ....! I am doubting the PFPS (Patella-Femoral Pain Syndrome, we - I am a Orthopedic Surgical First Assistant - just call it PFS) was a "genetic defect"! The missing cartilage (hopefully regenerating as we speak) could have been the result of an injury. There was probably an underlying (no pun intended) issue.

I am assuming you are wearing a PFS brace/ sleeve. This will keep your Patella in the proper alignment.

The "pop" does concern me! We could always be looking at a ligamentous/ tendon issue!

I hope this gives a little insight of your situation! Please do not hesitate to contact me with any other questions or issues!

Have a Great Day!   JD1963

I am not in any brace or sleeve. I was told right out of surgery that I would be walking in 2-3 days. So I was trying and being in a lot of pain. At my 10 day check up my orthopedic said that it was going to be a slow heal and to not do so much on it for another 4 weeks. Then at that point he will discuss physical therapy. I am now starting to walk with a big limp I am 3 weeks post surgery. I did ask about a treatment plan but he said until he went in with a scope to see what was going on he couldn't say much. And after when I asked if this was all from the injury and he said he really couldn't tell me one way or the other. I have been calling my claims representative with no return call for 2 weeks now. We are thinking at this point we are going to have to get a lawyer. I am just stumped how they think this is something I have had long term or since birth when I have never had any issues with my  knee. I played active sports through High School and I have remained active though to my late 30's. I do this one thing and I could no longer squat, stairs, run. With 3 months of physical therapy with no improvement. I just don't understand how this is not from this incident. I am no expert and I really don't have much faith in my orthopedic. Due to my surgery experience. (He didn't even tell my family what he did after surgery and we had to have the hospital hunt him down to come tell us what he did cause they were trying to discharge me before we talked to him. And then he said I wouldn't need crutches and I would be up and walking in 2-3 days.) I am just trying to figure out what I need to do and what has happened and why? To many questions and nobody to answer them! I don't want to obtain a lawyer if it is a good possibility that I will loose and that the knee cap shift and tilt and the microfracture was not due to the incident with the patient. And I won't involve you in my case. You are only giving me your opinion you don't know the whole thing. Although I just about summed it up!