Orthopedics Community
Mystery Pain in Leg after Metal Rod Placement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hi there, I hope someone out there can help me. My boyfriend was in a car accident about 18 years ago. He broke his femur in 6 places and had a metal rod placed from the hip to the knee. Every few years, he suffers from excrutiating pain to the point where he can't walk, has to sleep sitting up, it hurts to put any kind of weight on it (he describes it as like a Charley Horse that won't go away). Eventually, after about 4-6 weeks it goes away. He has been to orthopedists, neurologists, you name it and no one can find a source for the pain. No arthritis, the bone has healed perfectly, the rod and pins are in the right place. Has has been put on every pain medication imaginable with no relief. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience and/or if anyone knows of a specialist who can help us. He also gets some pain going from his back down the leg that reminds me of sciatica. I can't fathom the thought of going through this again, the pain is unimaginable. Thank you!!!
Try going for acupuncture,
this form of medicine believes that in the humans body there are nerves or energy channels flowing around and sometimes it might be blocked
mysterious cure for mysterious pain
hope this helps,hopegfully it works for u =D
I too broke femur back in 2005 in a car accident I have metal rod going down my leg with a screw in my knee I understand the pain your having I have the same problems .my doctor have done X-ray's result come back everything is good I don't feel good I'm always in pain my upper thigh and my knee constantly in pain like a burning feeling that won't go away and my back hurt ii want you to know you are not alone other people are going through the same thing my  symptoms are the just like you described.i wish you good luck and too be pain free