Orthopedics Community
Need Help/Whats Next

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Need Help/Whats Next

Need help on who to see next or at Home treatments for the following??

Symptoms--Lighheaded--Back of the head numbness/tingling--Thigh area numb/burning--Fatigue

Findings:
L1-L2: Within normal limits

L2-L3: Within normal Limits

L3-L4:Mild changes of degenerative disc disease are seen at this level with mild lateral bulging of the disc margins. Mild facet arthrosis is also seen posteriorly. No HNP is identified.

L4-L5: A broad based,3mm, posterior anular disc bulge is present.  In concert with facet arthrosis, there is mild to moderate narrowing of the neural foramina seen bilaterally along with mild concentric canal stenosis.  There is some increased signal present within the lateral margins of the posterior anulus suggesting anular tears.
L5-S1: Mild degeneration of the posterior facets is seen at this level. No HNP or spinal stenosis is seen.

Signal within the vertebral bodies is normal throughout.  The conus ends normally at the T12-L1 Level,

Impression:Impression:
Mild nueral foraminal and spinal stenosis are seen L4-5 level due to a small broad-based disc bulge and posterior element hypertrophy.  There appear to be small anular tears at this level as well.

Thoracic

Findings:  Changes of degenerative disc disease are seen in the mid and lower thoracic spine.  There is a broad based, 3-4mm, central disc protrusion seen at the T5-T6 level resulting in mild spinal stenosis.  The canal diameter has been narrowed to approximately 8mm.  A 2-3mm disc protrusion is also seen centrally at the T6-T7 level resulting in mild spinal stenosis.  Canal diameter has also been narrowed to approximately 8mm at this level.  A broad based,2-3mm disc bulge is seen at the T7-T8 level.  Canal diameter has been narrowed to 9mm, A minimal,1-2mm disc bulge is also seen at T8-T9.

Signal within the vertebral bodies is normal throughout.  There is no evidence of a significant compression fracture seen.  Signal within the thoracic cord is normal as well.  No abnormal enhancement is identified.

Impression:Impression:
1. Mild to moderate spinal stenosis is seen at the T-5-6 and T6-7 levels due to small herniated nucleus pulposus.

2. Mild spinal stenosis is seen at T7-T8 due to a braod-based disc bulge.
Any help would be greatful
bump
bump
None
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Try conservative treatment till you cannot cure it or you aggravate it. You have to change your lifestyle, by wearing proper footwear, ergonomics change. The way you sleep, (proper bed), the way you sit, (proper supportive chair), while driving, do not life weights and do exercises which would increase the strength and bulk of your back muscles. Take care and follow your orthopaedician instructions!
Thank you have not seen a Ortho you think that would be wise?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Follow all the preventive measures advised till you see an Orthopaedician as the point to point advise would differ from patient to patient and it would be wise to go for an Orthopaedician examination and correlating it with the report. Take care!
While I agree with the doctor that you shouldn't lift weights on your own, I do think that you need to see a personal trainer who can help you strengthen the muscles that will help your back.  The stronger those muscles are, the better your back will feel because weak back muscles pull on those bones.  Find a trainer who has a four-year degree.  They will not have you do any exercises that are going to exacerbate your symptoms or create more problems, but I wouldn't entirely rule out that they wouldn't have you do some mild weight lifting.  I went to one for my winged scapula and severe burning pain as well as lower back and it is so much better because of him.  You also need to start eating the right foods and supplements that will strengthen the bones in your back should you ever need surgery.  One of the reasons I disagree with the doctor on the weight lifting issue is that weight lifting is one of the best ways to strengthen bones.  You just need help when you do it so you don't do more than you should or do it improperly.  I have never regretted going to a personal trainer.  I have been going since December of 08 and it has made a world of difference.  I would also keep visiting with your orthopedic surgeon now and then for check-ups.  A relative of mine waited too long and has severe spinal stenosis and her bones are so soft she is unable to have the surgery.  Do something for it now.  You do not want to end up in her position.  She exercised very little and even when she did, she was not doing the proper exercises.  Do see a personal trainer so you can learn how the muscles in your body work.  If they don't explain it to you when they are working with you, then you need another trainer.  Mine explains why we are doing the exercises and even pops the book out to show me the muscles and where they attach and so on.  Good Luck!  
Don't lift weights, I owned a gym, and personal trainers know nothing about complex disk problems, lfting even the groceries can cause you to severe the spinal chord or some other problem tha wll cripple you. I know from seeing over a dozen surgeons and Neurologists over a 20 yr period. They all say something else but agree on not lifting anything unless it's in a rehab center under a doctors care