Orthopedics Community
No Union
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

No Union

4499935?1243339408
I had a motorcycle accident 18 months ago. I had a large open fracture high trauma injury. I had 10cm of broken bone removed from my tib. I underwent a long operation to graft a free flap from my lat muscle on my back, bone grafts from both hips and a skin graft. I also had a ilizarov frame fitted. A few months later I had an operation to break the top of my tib to lengthen my leg. Since then I have had another bone graft and compression procedures and there is still no real sign of any progress at the fracture site, and definitely no signs of any union. They are now considering starting all over cutting another 5-cm out to tidy the ends and going through all the lengthening again as a last attempt to save my leg. I was wondering if there is anything else that to help the bone grow, any advances in medicine, and why the bone is not growing as the free flap was a success?