Orthopedics Community
Paranoid 19 year old worried about his knee :(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

About 15 days ago I messed up my knee skateboarding. It twisted and popped. Right after the injury the pain settled down and I did a few tricks on my board to see if I could still skate.Everything seemed fine except my leg was a bit sore,but I figured it would soon feel better.The next day after waking up I couldn't straighten my knee AT ALL and had a lot of trouble bending it back.I went to emergency later on in the day to see what was up.They checked out my knee and said everything looked fine except they didn't know if my meniscus was fine since the x ray couldn't read that.The doctor wrapped my knee in ace bandages and gave me crutches.and told me that the meniscus could heal by itself. If it didn't heal in 10 days I should get an MRI to see what is up. After about 10 days the knee is bending ALMOST completely straight,and I am having a lot of hope I wont have to get a MRI nor surgery.5 days later it seems the knee is a little better but I still cant bend my knee straight all the way but I can bend it back all the way. I can walk almost perfectly except I cant extend my leg all the way,but I am walking almost normally.It doesn't hurt at all and I can even stand on one leg with the messed up knee. The thing is though, it has been 5 days and it still isn't completely straight and the doctor said 10 days. So I was wondering should I get an MRI even though with in those 10 days my knee  healed up almost completely? Also, do you guys think surgery WILL be necessary? Sorry for the long post but I am a paranoid guy and it will really calm me down if I at least knew what I should do.I still cant skate cause my knee wont extend all teh way but I can ride one so it's driving my crazy.Thank you all :)
Anyone...?

Hi!
If the tear is small and on outer end of meniscus, it will completely heal within 4-6 weeks. Initial treatment of rest, ice, elevation and compression is followed up with physiotherapy. You may need non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications to relieve pain. If it has been five days, consult a doctor and start physiotherapy. If after 2-3 weeks of physiotherapy, no improvement is seen, then your doctor may take you up for MRI. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.