ORTHOPEDICS
COMMUNITY
Popping/Snapping Behind my Knee
by Matt028, Oct 14, 2009

For the past couple weeks, I have had a very strange popping sensation behind my right knee every time I straighten it out.  I can't stand up straight without it popping, so I have to position it just right when I stand up to avoid the sensation.  And the whole knee joint feels very unstable.  Like something is about to give.

I'm 28 years old and I dislocated my right kneecap when I was 15 and then again at 17.  I couldn't pop it back in and I had to be put under in order for them to get it back in.  I have abnormal kneecaps to begin with, as my kneecaps are very high.  I can wiggle both of them around freely when my knees are straight.  The kneecap usually should ride in a groove, but mine really don't.  There is very little keeping them in.

But I'm just very concerned about the popping/snapping feeling directly behind my knee.  I've been doing a lot of stretching and icing, but the problem seems to be getting worse.  I'm having an MRI done on it tomorrow, so hopefully that will help determine what's wrong.  But any other insight would be greatly appreciated since walking has become very difficult for me.
Member Comments (3)
Avatar_dr_m_tn
by Dr VinodBlank, Oct 14, 2009
Hello!

An unstable knee joint can be the result of an injury or an underlying medical condition that causes the knee joint to give out on. It is also called as a trick knee. The major problem is osteoarthritis of the knee joint where there are changes in the smooth cartilage or through damage to the ligaments. This can be caused by an injured or torn knee ligament, such as a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in the knee. The condition can be treated either by wearing a knee brace or surgery.

Trauma, or a sudden turn or twist to the knee can cause a ligament to give out.

Go for an MRI and follow up with your orthopedician.

Take care!
by kenitha, Dec 09, 2009
Lately I've been having this popping in my knee cap when i stand or just plain walking. My knee will give out and sometimes stiffen up and it is very painful. I'm 29 and overweight I'm 5-6 and 210lbs. i think it might be to much weight on my knees, because I;ve never been this big before, but I'm not sure. If there is any pain medicine that you can suggest I would really appreciate it.
by needhelppp, Sep 19, 2012
hey i need help wth my knees i can't stand straight :( people tell me that i walk like a dinosaur helps asap im 15years old