Orthopedics Community
Possible posterior tibial tendon dysfunction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I took the antibiotic Cipro (which causes tendon pain and ruptures) and now have a bunch of problems with both ankles.  I have achilles tendon pain, and I also have pain and swelling on the inside of my ankle and arch of foot.  It hurts to move my toes back, and I can't stand on my toes at all (can't even get off the ground).  I also have no balance and sway.  If I walk one foot in front of the other (like a drunk driving test), I fall.  

I know I have achilles tendinitis, but does this also sound like posterior tibial tendon dysfunction.  If not, what else could it be.  If it is that, what do you do for it.  Do you need to wear a boot for this.  Could I be hurting myself further by wearing tennis shoes and walking.  I walk as little as possible.  I have an appointment with an ortho doctor in two weeks.  In the mean time, any information at all would be greatly appreciated.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Few cases of tendonitis and tendon rupture have been reported with adverse effects of ciprofloxacillin but are not very common.

Stop taking ciprofloxacillin and take scans of your legs and consult a podiatrist. Wear proper footwear and get yourself examined before your symptoms increase in intensity.

Take care!

Thank you for responding, Dr Vinod.  I actually stopped taking Cipro 10 weeks ago.  Things have been progressively getting worse.  It started with my achilles and then it continued the other areas of my foot.  Tendon ruptures are less common, but tendonitis is extremely common and I personally know of quite a few people now who have this in multiple areas of their bodies.  It is so common that there is a Black Box warning for this.  Again, thank you for your response.
I finally have my diagnosis.  Besides tendinitis in many areas of my foot, I have been diagnosed with sensorimotor peripheral neuropathy.  Cipro (and all other fluoroquinolone antibiotics) are known for causing irreversible peripheral neuropathy and it is NOT rare.  Tendinitis and peripheral neuropathy happen frequently.  Cipro (and Levaquin, Avelox, etc) are extremely dangerous antibiotics and should not be taken unless all other antiobiotics that could kiil the germs have been tried.  Do your research before taking any of these drugs.  The list of adverse drug reactions is huge with many people having been crippled from them.  They affect every part of your body.