Orthopedics Community
Pseudo-Jones fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Pseudo-Jones fracture

Thursday night, I rolled my left ankle and landed hard on the outside edge of my foot.  The ankle is fine (very flexible) , but x-rays revealed Friday that I have two fracture lines on the 'bump' that protrudes on the fifth metatarsal bone.  I believe based on research that this might be a 'pseudo-jones' fracture, which apparently is not as severe as a Jones fracture...

Anyway, at first it didn't hurt much, but within several hours there was swelling and bruising, and by the next morning I couldn't bear weight.  The doctor who saw me yesterday has given me a 'boot', and yesterday I was able to walk  somewhat painfully with it, but today it's a little more pain.   Is this due to the swelling?  When the swelling goes down will I be able to wear the boot and walk comfortably?  Right now I am using crutches, and that is very difficult for me.  I am a high school teacher, which means I am on my feet a lot.  I didn't go in Friday at all, and fortunately I have a three day weekend.

What I want to know is, is it normal that I can't use the boot yet because it still hurts?  When can I reasonably expect to use it?  What is the healing time frame?
     How are you? An avulsion fracture of the fifth metatarsal occurs where a tendon attaches to the bone at this point (the peroneus brevis tendon). When an avulsion fracture occurs, the tendon pulls off a tiny fragment of bone. These fractures are usually not badly out of place.

Treatment of avulsion fractures is usually accomplished with a walking cast or a walking boot. These protect the fracture site, but allow you to walk and place weight on the foot. The walking cast or boot is worn for about four to six weeks. Crutches are not usually needed for this injury, and surgery is seldom necessary. If swelling is not allowing you to wear the boot, then you should consult your doctor for advise on this.
Best.
Thank you, Dr. Veena, for your response.

I do believe that the swelling is the issue.  When I pick up my foot to take a step, the weight of the boot presses on the swollen and bruised area and it is very painful.  I am not sure what the doctor could do for this.  I am already trying to ice it and keep it elevated.  How much time do you think it will take for the swelling to subside?  The whole top of the foot is sort of 'fat' and slightly discolored, and the swelling has moved away from the injury site and is now closer to the toes.  The heel is not affected, so I have been able to walk with a cane and the weight all on the heel, wearing a slipper, not the boot.  It's awkward, and still slightly painful to keep the toes angled upward while doing this.