Orthopedics Community
Repeated Rolling Ankle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Repeated Rolling Ankle

The last two paragraphs are where my actual question lies.  This long beginning is simply a background.

So I spent the greater part of my life in ballet classes.  Beyond that, I also run, and I'm on my school's rowing team.  That being said, I've rolled and sprained both of my ankles several times.

In high school, I rolled my right ankle, but the doctor said it was just a strain, and I stayed off of it for a few days and then pushed myself back on it.  I ended up in PT for months because of that mistake, as I compensated for the pain and ended up with ankle problems and tendonitis in a few places of my foot.

That was actually the first time I'd ever injured my right foot - usually it was my left.  Two years ago, I was in a dance class and experienced the worst sprain of my life.  I rolled my left ankle while I was landing a jump on it and throwing ALL of my weight onto it.  It swelled immediately and was very large and contorted and I could put absolutely no weight on it.  It wasn't broken, but it was severely injured and I ended up with travelling swelling and intense bruising.

However, since that healed, I've injured my Right Ankle twice.  In the last few months.  I injured it once at Spring Training with the team, when I accidentally walked into a big hole in the ground.  I stayed off of it for about a day in a half, but since rowing doesn't involve an intense impact on your ankles, and I didn't want to miss training, i got back into it.  It didn't hurt too bad.

Weeks later, when the season was over, and I thought it was safe to start running again, it hurt.  I have an extra bone in each of my feet (it's basically on the inside of the ankle, and we all have SOMETHING there, mine is just very large) - and after I roll my ankles, those will hurt for some time.  So I gave it awhile.  Last week, I started running regularly, and after the first 4 minutes of a run, the stiffness usually dissipates.  I'm not sure if I was ignoring the signs my body was giving me, and in hindsight, I know that I should've tried to rehab my ankle (which I didn't), but come SUnday, I hit a trail and rolled my ankle with all of my weight on it.

What's different about this roll:
It didn't swell immediately.  In fact, it barely swelled at all.  It swelled slightly, but stayed pretty small.  However, the pain was immediate and intense (and I usually have a pretty high pain threshold).  I felt like the wind was knocked out of me for a few minutes.  But after a few hours, I could walk again (with a slight limp).  I'm anxious to start training again, and it's still a little stiff, but today I noticed bruising on the inside.  So an ankle that I've rolled in the last 5 months, with minimal swelling, not too much pain, and bruising - what does that mean?
has rolled ankles why is this always happening
I have a similar story except I did not do ballet, but have done gymnastics all my life and now coach... or did. I have had my share of sprained ankles and the last time I rolled it was 9 months ago. It was misdiagnosed as a sprain for five months, but same as you I had minimal swelling, no discoloration, and could limp around on it. Finally it was discovered I tore my retinaculum all the way through and was having peroneal tendon subluxation. I had surgery for this 4 months ago and am in a very very very slow recovery. I hope this is not what you may have done but research it and see if it sounds similar. Good luck to you!