Orthopedics Community
Rod in the tibia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Rod in the tibia

My daughter was hit by a car about 10 yrs ago and broke both tibias.  One didn't heal because she developed a strep infection in the bone marrow.  She has had many surgeries, rods of all sizes, plates, etc.  She had her last surgery about 6 mos ago and was told that her leg will never heal and that the rod will have to stay.  She complains that the rod hurts her at the knee.  Other than pain medication is there something that she can do so that the rod doesn't bother her so much.  
I feel sorry that your daughter has to go through all this.
I assume that she had fracture of Tibial Shaft as it required insertion of rod. The incidence of complications increases and the prognosis worsens with high-energy, comminuted fractures. Open fractures have the worst prognosis and the highest incidence of complications.
I think we need to evaluate with help of imaging study like MRI whether the pain is due to rod or due to injury to any nerve or due to rod impinging on any nerve.
Once we have established as to what is causing pain, we can plan further intervention.
The rod if it is causing impingement then a re-alignment can be done with help of surgery.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
I value your comments.... I am 56 yrs old.. I fell and broke my tabia and dislocated my knee...  I was taken by ambulance and 3 days operated on.  I now have a rod and 5 screws in my left leg.  Everyday I feel pain, however, I am 40 pounds over weight.  Is that the reason, perhaps.... I am going to address my weight and diet, but my exercising is challenged due to leg pain.  I have the WII and can work the upper part of my body, but my LEG HURTS... I hate pain pills, and only save them when it really hurst.  I find a small heating pad CALMS THE PAIN...  
SHOULD I GET IT REMOVED NOW, OR SHOULD I LOOSE WEIGHT, THEN SEE IF IT HURTS... I AM SO CONFUSED... PLEASE PLEASE SHARE YOUR INSIGHT.... ***@****... I appreciate your input, BIG TIME.... and thank you soooo much in advance.
God Bless
Hi there - just some history for you -
In 2008 I had to have rod placed in my left tibia after multiple breaks. I had to have three surgeries since then; in 2008 my left foot was misalighted by 15 degrees so they broke my foot and now it's 5 degrees to the left. Then in June of 2008 I had to have the bottom ... [More] screws removed. It really started to bother me the screws in the upper area of the exray were pertruding and my ankle and shin area were killing me and was taking about 8 - 12 aspirin and ibuprophen which led to a massive ulcer and blood transfusion. Thankfully, on August 10th I had the remaining hardward removed. I am thankful it went well and am still recovering but was able to walk on day one post-surgery.

I have been 207 pounds at one point but certainly not during the period of the rod placed in my leg and the removal. I think regardless - if you did lose weight it would help with the rod removal and walking much easier than having the extra weight straining on your leg. But then again, if you can't lose it, get it removed. It's the best thing that's happened to me.
To all in need of hope to recover, i will share my story.
On februar last year 2010 i fractured my tibia badly on the concrete stairways i was rushing to get to higher floor
To do something for a guest in my job. That was not my day i missed one step and with the righ leg i tried to save my left knee but instead i put my righ leg on line to injure my knee and tibia. I ended up in the emergency room for surgery, i got a big titanium rod put on starting from below the knee all the way down close to my foot.
I recover very quick from fractured areas but  half way down my muscles didnt like tha metal w/ screw on tap of i had to deal stiffness and other pains. I went back to see my doc. And discuss what to do couse my fractured bones were healed already . Today after 14 months had it removed and now i just need to deal w/ the surgery pain i hope. I started to noticed the diference already i just need wait 6 weeks to put waigt on it to see what happens. I'm 40 yrs old and heal like a15 yrs old lucky me. No one else know your body more than your self be smart and positive. One thing i never drink,smoke,party Iam, very active person that helps a lot. Race hispanic or maybe the food has something to do with it. Hope you all get better and never give up eat healthy as mush as posible be active and rest when you need, for example my high is 5'7" my weigh is 184. A little bonny and muscular. Talk to your Doc. Investigate your body how easy is to get hurt no addiction to any drugs or alcohol how strong are your bones, if your doc. Give you the ok to remove your harware. Dont be afraid remove it  only if it couses pain. Think positive. If you need to emai me  for question ***@****
Ok. I am a 40 year old female who had a compound fracture of tibia/fibula with rod in tibia and pins going across knee and ankle. Accident was in December 2012. Ankle&knee hurts with fracture site (almost directly in middle of tibia). Can I get this stuff taken out of my leg? Rod is directly in the middle of my bone. Surgery or pain advise would be awesome!
Hi! Yes,of course you can have the hardware taken out after some time. Usually at least a year unless there are other problems w/healing etc-.I had basically the same injury as yours.- The surgery to remove the hardware has minimal risk of re-breaking the bone & the normal surgical risks. The pain is also minimal-I used crutches for a brief time,but have hear of others not using them at all. Hope this helps. Good luck!