Orthopedics Community
Ruptured patella tendon replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Ruptured patella tendon replacement

Hi guys, glad to find this forum and see other people's experiences.  I am plodding my way through the hundreds of postings but if anyone has experience of complete rupture and removal of patella tendon can they either shout up or point me in the direction of some discussion regarding rehab.  I only have a figure 8 nylon attaching the patella to the tibia.  My consultant has given me no direction (last saw him a week after the stitches came out when I had an infection, that was 9-10 weeks ago).  I've started seeing physio but they're not pushing me as hard as I push myself!
Hi there!

Well, without the clinical details of the surgery and possibly a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment on the situation. Usually a repair surgery of the patellar tendon should be followed by gradual physiotherapy to increase the muscle strength and stretchability. This may be delayed in the situation of an infection. It is best advised to discuss the expected prognosis and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thanks!  It is (kinda!).  I still haven't seen my treating orthopedician since a week after the stitches came out so I'm still a bit in the dark but I do have an appointment on 2nd August so hopefully I'll have some answers then.  My physio is equally frustrated as she doesn't know how much she can push it so I'm not doing a lot in organised rehab.