ORTHOPEDICS
COMMUNITY
Sudden Chronic localized pain in foot
by Fellersm, Feb 26, 2007
Hello, Recently i have been experiencing a horrible deep pain in my foot. It occurs on the right side of the right foot about halfway in between the pinky toe and the ankle about halfway, and a centimeter in from the outside of the foot. the area of pain is about the size of a quarter but is very intense, i would compare to a fracture. Pain occurs when walking or applying pressure to the right side of the foot. there is no noticeable swelling in comparison to the other foot. i would normally write this off as nothing, but the weird thing is is that it all started when i woke up one morning there was no prior pain or other buildup, there is no bite marks, no bruising, just a terrible pain. i tried to wait it out a day, but the pain stayed with up until i fell asleep. when i woke up the next day the pain was reduced, but continued throughout the day. When i woke up this morning however, the pain was worse than ever, i tried to stand and nearly fell. could you please tell me whether this may be something life threatening such as perhaps a clot in the foot (does that happen), or maybe bone or tendon trauma?
Member Comments (24)
by Enoch Choi, Mar 05, 2007
Foot pain can be very debilitating.  In the area on the outer foot, some causes include occult fracture (e.g. stress fracture), soft tissue masses (e.g. neuromas, ganglion cysts), and referred pain.

A podiatrist can help to further evaluate pain in this area.

Enoch Choi, MD
by ht_noodles, Mar 14, 2007
I had similar pain but on the inside of my foot, it was a very very tiny stress fracture.  With about 3 weeks rest and physiotherapy it went away and have had no problems since (touch wood!)You should get it checked out though and rest

noodles
by wannabekiwi, Sep 18, 2007
Did you ever find out what happened?  I seem to have the same thing now.  

wannabekiwi
by dennisfloyd, Apr 25, 2009
I have the same thing right now as well.  I woke up and was, still am, in pain for no reason.  I am active and do run but hadn`t exercised for a few days before this pain so I don`t know why it happened now as opposed to the morning after a workout.  I am not on my feet at work either.  I guess I`ll go see a podiatrist if this persists.
by loreeen, Jun 24, 2009
The same thing just started happening to me. I woke up with terrible pain in my foot when I put pressure on it. I hadn't done anything special the day before. It came out of nowhere but I can barely walk on it. If it doesn't go away I guess I'll see a doctor.
by ReptileChicky, Jun 29, 2009
I just read all these comments and I am having the EXACT same problem ! can someone please help me ? I don't know what to do and I can barely walk. What is this :S I'm a worry wort so please help me if you can!!
by redytowear, Sep 23, 2009
I get intense pain under my toes but not my big toe only on my right foot after 40 minutes of walking. It's a stinging and then burning and stinging that is so bad I can barely walk. Please help as I really enjoy hiking and walking.
by garywatson, Jul 23, 2010
Wow, I have exactly the same problem.  Went to bed two nights ago, no pain at all, woke up yesterday and almost fell over when I tried to stand up.  Pain is deep inside the outside center bottom part of my foot.  Feels like the after-effect of a terrible foot cramp, but it isn't going away.  Got a bit better during the day yesterday, but today it's worse than before.  Trying my Sketchers shoes today to see if they help stretch out the muscles -- maybe I'm stupid but I'm going to try to walk it off.
by gazjb1, Jul 24, 2010
I have exactly the same problem. really bad pain halfway between the little toe and heel on the outside of my right foot and about 1cm under.  Please help cause im going on holiday in 5 days and need to know what it is.