Orthopedics Community
What bone age do the growth plates completely close?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Im sorry if I ask this is the wrong section but the pediatric endocrinology section is closed for some reason. I have a bone age of 17(I got this test several months ago). My doctors can not tell me if my growth plates are closed or not. Why not? Well so I can't ask different doctors because they won't give me the x-rays. Well anyways what bone age do growth plates fuse for males? Im 15 and a healthy male but it seems like they won't do anything to help me grow either. Im at 5"4 and both my parents are the same height.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
We can give you the ossification of few of the important bones. It is difficult to write about primary, secondary and the total ossification of all the bones.

Femur:
The 3 epiphyses/growth plates at upper end fuse at 18years
The 1 epiphysis/growth plate at lower end fuse at 20 years

Tibia:
Upper end fuses at 16-18 years
Lower end fuses at 15-17 years

Humerus:
Upper end during 20th year
Lower end at about 16 years

Radius:
Upper end during 18th year
Lower end at 20 years

Take care!

Thank you very much, I was just wondering would it be impossible to expect a growth spurt  with a bone age of 17? I would think im in stage 4 puberty on the tanner scale.
Oh I wish i could edit my post above but is there any way to extend my growth period or how much I grow? I know it's kind of late for that but I just found out my bone age and I haven't seen any noticeable height gain for about two-three years
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You can grow as i have given you all the bone ossification ages. You have couple of years and for this you have to do cycling, skipping, swimming & jogging.
Eat enought calories according to your BMI, Proteins will also help.

Well, but everything is genetically related also and your height will grow  only to the desired level, try all the different methods and also discuss with an Orthopaedician for some steroids/hormones if they can be given to you without any harm. Take care!
I turned 18 a month ago,lookin at the list there is still 3bones which are not fused..with good diet and exercise is it possible for me to increase height?
If an almost 15 year old is at Level 4 of the Tanner scale (4.3 to 4.4) will hgh or dhea benefit him in terms of height growth? If so, what is best? He has not been getting good REM sleep in the past two years and is only 5'3".
You should never expect to be taller than your parents (or for a boy, the average of your parent's ages plus 2 inches). (for girl. average minus 2)  If you eat a reasonable diet you do not need any special nutrition to grow. (However, PLEASE eat/drink  plenty of vegetables and milk so you will be healthy and your bones and muscles will be strong. Many kds don't have enough Vit D for bone and muscle health, and you get it with milk), No DHEA or other products will make you taller. Steroids will NOT help and are very dangerous.Exercise is great for you in many ways but will not make you taller.
Boys often keep growing a little until age 18 or 20, but it depends on the growth plate fusion times as above, which can vary from person to person but usuall go in the same sequence. If you didn't get X-rays then no one knows your bone age.     Extremely short kids are sometimes given rprescription medicine to help growth, but this must be started early and is not wise for boys who are in the low low range of normal height.
Get your information from your doctor, not from unkown people who may pretend to be doctors on the web.(I AM a doctor - but you shouldn't believe that I am!)
You should never expect to be taller than your parents (or for a boy, the average of your parent's ages plus 2 inches). (for girl. average minus 2)  If you eat a good diet you do not need any special nutrition to grow. (However, PLEASE eat/drink  plenty of vegetables and milk so you will be healthy and your bones and muscles will be strong. Many kds don't have enough Vit D for bone and muscle health, and you get it with milk), No DHEA or other products will make you taller. Steroids will NOT help and are very dangerous.Exercise is great for you in many ways but will not make you taller.
I am a 14 year old male that resently had a shoulder and elbo injury due to pitching.  The doctor said that the xrays showed that my shoulder and elbow growth plates have closed!!!  Does this mean I will  not get any taller?  I am 5ft 71/2 inches.  My dad is 5ft 8inches and my mom is 5ft 3 inches?  Thanks!
hello  just turned sixteen in july and it doesnt seem like i have gone through a growth spurt yet. when i was 13 i was about 5ft. and now im about 5ft5 and it doesnt seem like im growing. i get excersize and eat right, but nothings happening. my dad is over 6ft tall and my mom is about 5ft2-3. AM I STILL GOING TO GROW, AND WHAT CAN I DO.
i am a female;12 year old;i started puberty when i was going to be 10,i've the deficiency of gh,i just have it 20%,my height is 4.11,i don't have an armpit,now i am 12 and going to be 13 this october,can you please tell me for how long will my growth plates be open;is it correct that if a girl has fixed mensuration cycle means her growth plates are fused,coz' i don't have fixed........Thankyou
my bone age is around 10 or more
by radiologist
what he means to say by this statement
Im 16 year old .. im 158 cm ...
Im Girl .. Can I Grow Up Or Its Over ??
plzzz answer my question
What about boy that has just turned 16 is the same height as their taller parent, but has a taller sibling, sleeps 9 hours a night, never smoked or drunk alcohol, eat a very good diet, on 100% whey protein isolate, cycles 50km a week, goes to the gym 3 times a week, a swims 3 times a week. How can he anticipate what his height will be?
What about a boy who's just turned 16 that has tall parents and is as tall as the taller one, but has a taller sibling [male]. Cycles and exercises regularly, will soon be going to the gym to do leg speed, agility, and vertical training 3 times a week for 10 weeks. Plays basketball and volleyball, gets 9 hours of sleep every night, conscious about what he eats, no sugar, or meat, he's a vegan, get's his protein, BMI of 17-18 so underweight but will soon be one whey protein isolate [48 grams] per day. Is there any way to anticipate his height?
Then if that is true then why did i stop growing around age 19 at 5.9"
at age 24 through 26 i grew again an topped out at 6.2" can anyone answer that i would like to know why

P.S. I am a Body Builder all natural could that be why from years of heavy lifting it made my test go up an igf1 levels higher?.
When i was about 4 years old the Doctor did tell my parents i would be 6.6"

not sure why i never made it to 6.6"

not sure why i never made it to 6.6"
hello!! i am 14 yrs old female. m slightly taller than 5'4" and my mom is 5'1" and my dad is 5' 6". so are there any chances that i can grow up to 5' 7" or at least 5' 6" without any artificial methods such as surgery or HGH injections?? i don't know if my platelets are still open or closed! please tell me if i can grow taller and ill be utterly grateful to you.
thank you  hope you will do the needful!

you give me hope bro thanks for your growth info !
btw did you consume whey or other protein or calcium supplement?
Doc i need to ask if this case really happening growth after 21 ?

Bacchus85  
Nov 30, 2013

not sure why i never made it to 6.6"