anthroplasty of big toe
Hi  I have been having problems for 3 years with my right big to now almost no movement and pain - I have had ostenil injections to no avail - my surgeon has recommended the above operation - any comments on success???? Do not want to be worse off - would like to get in toucj with someone who has had the op - very undecided
Hello!

Either a fusion of the big toe (an arthrodesis) or removal of bone from the joint (an arthroplasty) is performed for chronic problems of your big toe. Arthritis of the big toe is called hallux rigidus. Get an X-ray done and also try conservative therapy with pain killers, modification by use of appropriate boots and physiotherapy before considering surgery.

Take care!
I had an unsuccessful anthroplasty of the big toe.  Thank goodness I didn't have both feet done.  I am now facing a 3rd operation (fusion) and I'm terrified.  Right now I am putting it off by getting orthotics with the hope of being at least comfortable.  I could have lived with the arthritis, as the foot without the operation is now my good one.  The first implant didn't work.  There was more pain and no movement.  It was terribly painful, and no physical therapy was prescribed.  Another doctor said that the implant was too big, so I had another surgery a year later putting in a smaller implant.  It provided a little movement, but he had to shorten my big toe because there was some bone loss.  It lasted 6 years and now it is breaking away from the bone and the toe is in the air.  The rest of my foot is taking my weight and is stressed.  My other toes are turning in under the big toe.  It's just a mess.  If I had it to do over again, I never would have had surgery.  The doctor had told me that if I didn't have the surgery, my knees would eventually give me trouble because I wasn't walking properly.  I had no movement in either big toe joint.  He said I would be in high heels (which was a big joke).  So, it's 7 years later, and the toe without the surgery is fine.  I can deal with the pain in that one  more than the discomfort of the other.  I vote no to the surgery.
really take a long look about having this done, i wish i hadn;t.good luck
I had a hemi implant  arthroplasty  done 1 week ago I am in so much pain. How long did it take to recover  from your surgery?