broken ankle,
Hi, I broke my fibula bone above the ankle january 14th this year and was treated with a fiberglass cast a week later. The bone was still in place with a clean break.They told me 6 weeks to heal before i get cast off, but i was in a splint style cast for the first week, does that count as one week? and also should nt have the doctor have asked me to come in for check up x-rays just to make sure the bone is healing properly? i live in a small community was treated by a regular doctor a i think.Do u think ill need an aircast after i get regular cast off or is that just optional?
     How are you? The regular cast is only continued if your doctor feels that healing is not complete, and if he feels it complete then you are advised to use crutches. The usual period for healing is around 6-8 weeks, but lower leg fractures take a little more to recover. The initial one week period is also taken into account.
Follow up is advised every two weeks to see whether alignment is proper or not. In case of misalignment found at any point of treatment surgery might be necessary.
Hope this information was helpful.
Best.
Hi again,
Im doing much better i have my cast off now im in my 7th week since i broke it.It's still pretty swollen and im having trouble with movement of it, but seems to get better everyday.Doctor says i should be walking on it but it really hurts just standing on it with half body weight. If i dont start walking on it by the end of the week should i go see the doctor again? When i got the cast off last wednsday the doctor said it was about 60% to 70% healed.
Thank you