Orthopedics Community
finger fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

finger fracture

I have a very small fracture(confirmed by x ray) of my little finger on my right hand and am wondering about healing time. I have had it strapped to a buddy finger for about 4 weeks now. There is still a small amount of pain, but I am very aware of how much strength I am losing in my finger. I am due to start a Masters in university playing violin in 5 weeks so need to start rehabilitation of the finger as soon as possible, but don't want to further injure the finger.

Tags: fracture
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Let your fingers heal. Any fracture will take atleast 4 weeks for complete repair. After this you might have developed stiffness and you can start physiotherapy and in 2 weeks you will be fine. (Total 6 weeks for complete recovery)
But after the 5 weeks you can go for the violin playing and slowly increase your strengths and movements. You can hold the violin with left hand and use the stick with the right hand.

Take care and you will be fine.
thanks for the advice. I took the bandage off permanently 1 week ago, for about 5 days prior I had been leaving it off for several hours at a time.

The finger is still stiff and sore. I still can't make a complete fist and there is still a small amount of swelling and bruising at the lower knuckle. The odd thing is, I could swear the fracture was closer to the upper knuckle! Is any of this normal? Should it take this long for the stiffness to ease?

Thanks in advance!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi!,

We had mentioned to you that there would be stiffness after the fracture healing.
Stiffness will also occur in a normal joint due to immobilization of fingers.
Continue finger exercises by making a fist and slowly stretching your fingers completely. After a week of this Physiotherapy you would be fine.

Go for a routine examination near your treating Orthopaedician to confirm that the healing is perfect.

Take care!