Orthopedics Community
fractured talus on 12/31/05 - still in severe pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

My son badly fractured his talus on 12/31/05 from a car accident.  The talus was fractured in several places and his heel bone was popped out of place.  After 4 hrs of surgery, his right foot was put back together again.  He was in a cast for several weeks that followed up to him wearing a boot for several months.  The major concern was if the blood supply would come back to the talus region so the bone and tissue would heal.  His foot has always been sore, but lately its been getting worse.  Is it possible the talus could collapse after all this time?
Hello.

Four years is a sufficient time for the bone to heal. It is either a pain of a nerve damage or ligament injury. It could also be due to reduced blood supply to the talus bone and subsequent damage. Your concern of a recurrence of talus fracture is apt, but it is not the bone fracture per se that is causing the pain.

Regards
I've had multiple fractures of the talus (neck and dome) after initial surgeries (talar Hawkins IV in 2000), following development of AVN.

Each time my surgical team goes in and repairs the damage with a bone graft. Each time undue pain, bruising, swelling indicated I'd rebroken the bone.

As my docs put it, I'm in near-constant state of talar collapse, with smaller portions breaking occasionally, sometimes the chip is visible on an xray, sometimes not. If the defect is large enough, into surgery I go.

If you're concerned consider a docs visit with xrays compared to your son's old views.

Good luck to him!