Orthopedics Community
ganglion cysts in knee

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

ganglion cysts in knee

I recently had an MRI on my knee due to pain and swelling increasing over several months.  It shows a complex tear of the medial meniscus involving the posterior horn, body and anterior junction.  It also shows 2 ganglions 1 is small, described as-- a peritendinous involving the proximal popliteus musculotendinous junction, the other is described as -- extensive septated lobulated pericruciate ganglion measuring 3.7 cm along the posterior border of the PCL.
The OS I saw today says the meniscus needs to be fixed, but the ganglions are not "hurting" anything and they don't need to be removed.  I know that the pain is very different this time( have had 3 tears in the past), it is in the back of my knee and travels into the back of my thigh.  Is this the standard treatment or lack of I should say, for a ganglion this size in this location?  Thanks, RR
     How are you? A Ganglion Cyst  is a bump or mass that forms under the skin. These form when tissues surrounding certain joints become inflamed and swell up with lubricating fluid. They can increase in size when the tissue is irritated and often can "disappear" spontaneously. The largest ganglions form behind the back of the knee, causing a sense of fullness or tightness and also referred to as Baker’s cyst. Ganglions are usually painless, but range of motion may be impaired. Flexing or bending the affected area can cause discomfort, as can continuing to perform the activity that caused the condition.
Some ganglions disappear without treatment, and some reappear despite treatment. Surgical removal of the cyst is the only mode of treatment. Other treatments are only symptomatic.
PCL injury usually manifests with knee pain, swelling, and decreased motion, popping inside the knee etc. I think in your case the larger ganglionic cyst which is located on the borders of the PCL , is compressing the nerves, there by causing the pain in the thigh.
I would suggest that you discuss with your doctor regarding the removal of cysts along with repair of meniscus.
All the best
There are natural remedies avaiable, one involving oregano oil, which I have been using for a few days on a wrist ganglion (few drops in coconut oil), seems to be receding and less painful.